Clueless about my new Scamp! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Unhappy

Wow- I am SO excited! I am lucky enough to be aquiring a 13ft Scamp '82 from a relative of mine! I have always wanted a trailer, and so I asked my relative if they woud keep me in mind when they decided to sell their camper. Well well well, here we are- about to receive it! Honestly, I have never gone camping as the facilitator of the trip. I have a new baby (5 months old) and a partner that is not quite the outdoorsy type... I am determined, however, to get this camper and make it my own! I think that the Scamp is the absolute basic model- without a battery. It has a rusty propane stove, and an ice box and sink. Does anyone know if it has water/electric hookup on the outside? We were thinking about hitting a campground on the way back from picking it up (CA-Seattle). I know that it has no battery, but does that mean it has no exterior electric connection? I can ask my relative, but he is getting up there and I think that I will be putting him out of his way with all these questions...

I am just trying to figure out what I will need to bring with me to have a good experience on the 3 day trip with a baby and no electricity...

Help???
Lynn L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Your delimma seems to require some rethinking of priorities. Our '77 Boler came with no battery but it has a 110v. light over the sink and an electric hook up with power supply cord. We have a 3way fridge so require power.
Basic camping is more fun in "FIBERGLASS" as you are not sleeping on the ground or outside.
Some cleaning required... The Adventure Begins...
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
If it is an 82 Scamp is should have both 12V and external electric hookup. Ours didn't have a battery but it had the box on the tongue and we just went to Wally and got one.

Your biggest issue beyond what ur mentioning when you go to pick it up, will be to have the right connector for the trailer lights and to get them functioning so you can tow. I would ask your relative what trailer light connector it has 4 pin or 7 pin or jerry rig and bring one of each anyway and stuff to just plain splice some wires together as well. I'd also stock up some extra bulbs and fuses before you pull it.
Also, make sure you have both a 1 7/8 and 2" tow ball. It should be 1 7/8 but just when you think that, it will be a 2." The rest of the stuff you can make do one way or another and pick up anything you'll forget along the way.

I'd recommend you have the bearings repacked if it hasn't been done for quite a while before you pull and make sure the tires are ok, not just tread, but not rotted from sitting.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Rethink this first trip and consider the trailer as nothing more than a dry, hard-sided tent. What items would you need to make your experience comfortable for you and your family? Cooler, battery operated light, etc. Those items you will want to have. So pack as if the trailer was canvas, Worry about all the "options" when you're home and have time to thoroughly go through the trailer. Just make certain it's safe to tow (running lights, brake lights!). good tires and bearings.

My 2 cents.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Lynn L,
Emphasizing what others have said... safety should be # 1.
If tires are more than four-five years old they should be replaced regardless of the amount of tread.
Axle (wheel) bearings repacked.
Brake and running lights operating.

Don't gamble on safety issues, you want to get home with the family and trailer intact!

Comfort for you and family should be considered next.
Try to allow enough time on the return trip to enjoy the experience. After all, that is why you are acquiring the Scamp!!!

Congratulations on joining us.
Keep a light heart, a sense of adventure and work at making it enjoyable for your whole family!

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Lynn,

The other posts have covered safety of your tow and what to expect when you pick up your 'new' egg. I'm posting in reference to your 'not the outdoorsy type' partner.

My husband was exactly as you describe, "not outdoorsy" when I met him 18 years ago. Actually, he has allergies like you wouldn't believe. I remember when he had his allergy test long ago, the only thing he wasn't allergic to was a flower that blooms in Alaska! We started out in a pop-up and now have an egg because of all the work a pop-up requires setting up, and being drier in FG! THe first trip last October for 4 days in our 'new to us' egg, my husband's eyes would open in the morning, and before I could turn my head to ask him what he was doing, his shoes were on, he was out the door and starting the fire to make the coffee and start making breakfast over the open flame!!

He can't wait to get going this weekend on our 2nd trip in our egg, so much that he's been working 12 hour days so he can take all of Friday off so we can get an early start (although we can't check in until 3pm at the State Park) He's really come around to being a camper!

Last night over dinner, I explained since I was packed and ready for our weekend, I could go early and set up and he could come up tomorrow (not knowing he was going to take the entire day off) and before I could finish what I was saying, he replied "I don't think so...you're not starting without me!!"

Make your camping adventures fun and not complicated and your partner will come around...if mine can do it, yours can!! Good luck with your new egg!!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My 91S13 was ordered without a battery but had a converter, so the wiring (even the in-line fuse was there to add battery). If you have converter, it will likely be under the driver's side bench in the back. On those older models, the 120VAC system may be separate and the shore cable will also be under that bunk (little hatch to get it outside).

You can also try camping out in the driveway, with a clipboard to make a note of everything you go into house to get!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I am lucky enough to be acquiring a 13ft Scamp '82 from a relative of mine! I have always wanted a trailer, and so I asked my relative if they would keep me in mind when they decided to sell their camper.

I can ask my relative, [b]but he is getting up there and I think that I will be putting him out of his way with all these questions...
I think your relative would be happy to show you as much as he can about what makes the Scamp tick. I would not hesitate to ask; the worst thing to happen is that he would not remember... But I'd bet he'd be tickled to show you everything.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #9

Wow, thanks so far guys! I am still a little perplexed and overwhelmed, but I appreciate the help!

GREG A- You mention that it should have both 12V and external electric hookup. Now, forgive me, I am not really knowledgable about the electric stuff- I am assuming, then, that there will be outlets on the inside of the trailer? Outlets that I could, say, plug a light into? I know that there is no battery, and I looked at a picture of the tongue of the trailer and there is no "box" like you mention yours having... does that tell you anything? If I plugged into electricity on the outside of the camper at a camp site, would I be able to use the outlets? What kind of battery should I buy if I go that route, and how on earth would I hook it up??? Oy... You also mentioned stocking up on some extra bulbs and fuses before pulling it- would you happen to know off the top of your head which type of both I need?

I have figured out what tires I need, but I will have to take it to get the wheels looked at...
I figured out what connection there is for the brake lights etc, I just need to buy a connector...

FREDERICK- I would totally ask my relative to show me the camper, but unfortunately, I am in Seattle, He is in a Southern CA nursing home...

The first time I will be seeing the camper in person is when I drive down to pick it up!

I am pretty stressed out about this, actually. I want the trip to go smoothly, but I really don't know anything about the inner workings of the camper! YIKES!

Does anyone have a link to a camping supply packing list?

Can anyone tell me how hooking up a trailer at a camp site works?
Old 05-23-2008, 06:19 AM   #10

Lynn, et al

Scamp's new website is certainly an improvement. I see they've recently posted some good information. Check out the page called: Owner's Manuals. There is a long list of stuff... I haven't checked out any of it tho....

Scamp Owner's Manual:

* Warranty & General Information, Applicances, Running Gear, Service & Maintenance, Winterizing, Towing Instructions, Systems, Setup, Troubleshooting, Connections, Diagrams

Scamp Videos: (do not access the videos unless you have a high speed internet connection)

* Videos may take up to a minute to load before beginning to play
* Close the video window when you are done viewing it
* You must close the active video window before you can view another video

* 01 - Before You Tow
* 02 - Towing
* 03 - Choosing a Camping Spot
* 04 - Cooking with LP Gas
* 05 - Refrigerators
* 06 - Heating And Cooling
* 07 - Electrical Systems
* 08 - Beds and Bunks
* 09 - Water Systems
* 10 - Maintenance
* 11 - LP Tank and Battery
* 12 - Water and Power
* 13 - Awning
* 14 - Water Leaks
* 15 - Exterior Shell
* 16 - Tires and Bearings
* 17 - Lamps
* 18 - Electrical Connector
* 19 - Winterizing

Refrigerators:

* Dometic Refrigerator Model RM2191 & RM2193 - Installation & Operating Instructions
* Dometic Refrigerator Model RM2193 - Parts List
* Dometic Refrigerator Model RM2201 - Parts List
* Dometic Refrigerator Model RM2202 - Parts List
* Dometic Refrigerator Model RM2410 - Parts List
* Dometic Refrigerator Model RM2620 - Parts List

Stoves:

* Suburban Cooktop Model SDN2 & SDN3 - Installation, Operation and Service Manual

Ovens:

* Manual to be added soon...

Furnaces:

* Surburban Furnace Model NT-16SE & NT-20SE - User's Information Manual

Air Conditioners:

* R9201D Polar Cub Series Air Conditioner - Data Inquiry Sheet
* RVP (Coleman) Data Sheets, Operations & Maintenance Instructions & other documents

Toilets:

* Dometic SaniPottie 9600 series - Owner's Manual
* Dometic SeaLand 711-M28 Toilet - Owner's Manual

Awnings:

* Dometic/A&E Catalina 2500 - Installation & Operating Instructions
* Dometic/A&E Catalina 2500 - Parts List

Old 05-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Besides this group, and Yahoo Scampers and the Casita forums, here's another forum for beginners at RV.Net:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti...gs/forum/28.cfm

BTW, many of the RV.Net forums are on Woodall's forum, which sometimes works better cyber-link wise, but the Beginner Forum doesn't seem to be there:

http://www.woodalls.com/rv-campingforums.cfm

If you register for one, you are registered for the other.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Where are you picking up this trailer? I wonder if one of our members might be willing to go with you and help you check it out and get set up? Anyone?????
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I would be willing to help out... depending on where it is located.

Where in So. Cal would that be? It's a large area.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #14

Well, I am picking up the camper in Oceanside, CA.

Gosh, you guys are SO helpful!

I have been working pretty hard on getting this stuff figured out! So far, I know that the outlets are working when hooked up to external power. That definatley puts me at ease, knowing that I will be able to plug in a lamp and maybe an electric burner. We still don't know if the propane stove actually works, because we believe that the propane tank is empty. Have the nozzles on propane tanks changed since 1981? I was looking at a picture of the tank, and it looks different to me, but, then again, I don't know much about propane tanks, either! Here is a picture- is it different??
Attached Thumbnails
ScampT12.JPG   ScampT13.JPG  

Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 PM   #15

Personally, I wouldn't trust propane on a trailer that's been sitting for any length of time. I'd definitely want it checked by a professional. I only have one life!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:28 PM   #16

lol thanks Donna!

Ok, another question about an issue I am clueless about...

I am getting new tires for the scamp. It has not been driven for 4 years, but 4 years ago, the wheel bearing were re-packed. How often does this need to happen? The trailer was driven 1300 miles since it's last re-packing.

Oh yeh, and here she is...
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp001.JPG  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #17

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Most say every year, but due to the length of time this has sat have them repacked before pulling.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:52 AM   #18

Registry
Bearings shouldn't nee to be repacked unless they have mileage on them, at least, thats what my trailer mechanic has told me. I asked him to check them anyway..my 17 had sat unmoved for over 7 years.

They were fine and I have towed about 4k miles on them. It's time for me to do them now, even tho they seem fine.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:54 AM   #19

Registry
oh, Oceanside is a ways from me, but if you have the new tires before you leave, you should be fine making it up my way (Near San Bernardino).
Old 05-24-2008, 11:10 PM   #20

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Where are you picking up this trailer? [b]I wonder if one of our members might be willing to go with you and help you check it out and get set up? Anyone?????
Quote:
Well, I am picking up the camper in [b]Oceanside, CA.

Gosh, you guys are SO helpful!

I have been working pretty hard on getting this stuff figured out! So far, I know that the outlets are working when hooked up to external power. That definitely puts me at ease, knowing that I will be able to plug in a lamp and maybe an electric burner. We still don't know if the propane stove actually works, because we believe that the propane tank is empty. [b]Have the nozzles on propane tanks changed since 1981? I was looking at a picture of the tank, and it looks different to me, but, then again, I don't know much about propane tanks, either! Here is a picture- is it different??
#1. Oceanside is more in my neck of the woods... [b]When are you planning to pick it up? I would be willing to meet you there.

#2. That propane tank is obsolete. You'll need to replace it, and the hose from the regulator to the tank.

Tags
scamp