Coach House - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 6,383
Post again in 10 years what the relative value is. Maybe sooner.
__________________

__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 3,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Post again in 10 years what the relative value is. Maybe sooner.
The relative value of the trailer or the home in Florida.?
The last time the real estate bubble burst I saw homes once valued at over $100,000 sell for less than the price of a new Scamp 16 footer.
__________________

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 6,383
True. Even worse when it's under water.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:48 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 3,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
True. Even worse when it's under water.
The scary part is that in the future a home in Florida could be
" Under Water " both literally and figuratively.
Southern Georgia could soon be beach front property .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:21 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 2,453
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I just wonder why a small motor home could cost more than a real estate. Well, because people are willing to pay for, I believe.
I lived in NE PA for a few years, where many people's homes cost less than a new Toyota Camry!

Its really two different markets, RVs and real estate. RVs provide the utility to travel almost anywhere and take your "home" with you. A home is a fixed location. Its a problem we faced. While we wouldn't mind a vacation home, there is no single location we would like to be every winter. Sometimes the SW, sometimes FL, sometimes the Gulf Coast, etc. So if you desire the ability to change locations at a moment's notice, a vacation home is not such a great idea.

And much like a boat, an RV is not an investment. It requires maintenance and insurance, and will depreciate in value. So getting your "moneys worth" is all about using it, the experiences you have. Sitting in the yard they are just a money loser.


NE PA real estate was not an investment either, but it did provide shelter.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 3,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I lived in NE PA for a few years, where many people's homes cost less than a new Toyota Camry!

Its really two different markets, RVs and real estate. RVs provide the utility to travel almost anywhere and take your "home" with you. A home is a fixed location. Its a problem we faced. While we wouldn't mind a vacation home, there is no single location we would like to be every winter. Sometimes the SW, sometimes FL, sometimes the Gulf Coast, etc. So if you desire the ability to change locations at a moment's notice, a vacation home is not such a great idea.

And much like a boat, an RV is not an investment. It requires maintenance and insurance, and will depreciate in value. So getting your "moneys worth" is all about using it, the experiences you have. Sitting in the yard they are just a money loser.


NE PA real estate was not an investment either, but it did provide shelter.
Real Estate Value is like the old saying
"Location ,Location ,Location " . We bought a 1 acre lot on a lake about 100 miles from a major city . Paid $14K for the lot and the last appraisal showed the lots value to be well over $100K.
If the price of fuel rise or the economy fails or intersest rates rise then cut that evaluation in half. It's all a gamble !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
DeanCHS1980's Avatar
 
Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Posts: 668
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
Well, we did it. We took out a mortgage (feels like a mortgage ....) and bought a new one. We visited the Coach House factory in Nokomis, Fl and watched the build process from fiberglass one piece shell to having it fitted onto a Ford chassis. We went there because they had 2 newer used ones for sale on consignment, but by the time we got there, they were cleaning them up for the new owners. In the small factory there were about 5 under construction, and they were also sold. The only ones we could actually "tour" were the sold ones before the owners took them away. We were really impressed with the quality. Since we are contemplating long trips, my husband REALLY wanted one and with only so many years left to do this, we did it. Seeing how these really hold their value, we figure a couple years on the road and then we will sell it. This is very similar to the one we ordered. It's a long video, but very comprehensive.
https://youtu.be/61Rt-VS1Tik
They will start ours in October and we will get it in January.
Hi Jill,

CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase of the Coach House 261 XL. Wow, Coach House makes exquisite small motorhomes. One of their many attributes is their one piece fiberglass design. Outstanding.

Laura and I discovered RVing in the Fall, 2014. Researched for about a year. We knew we wanted a small used towable, thus my discovery of egg campers. Our Casita is the "perfect" trailer for us right now. We are empty nesters and I have about 6 to 8 years of work left before retirement. However, I stay consumed with RVs and the life style, so Laura and I talk about retirement rigs. Of course egg campers like Olivers, Escapes, and Bigfoots are often discussed. Yet, both of us are drawn to small Motorhomes. We have determined that the Class Bs are a bit too small. We prefer the small Class C and/or B+ (still a Class C) Motorhomes at around 22' to 25'. Your Coach House is one of the finest examples of what Laura and I prefer:

1. Molded fiberglass.
2. Small - Coach Houses are 23' to 27'.
3. Ford Chassis - MB Sprinter Chassis dominant the market of higher end small Motorhomes and are great chassis but I prefer the Ford.

Not all of the following are molded fiberglass, but will tend to have molded fiberglass roofs, front caps, and rear caps:

Pleasure Way
Leisure Travel Vans
Winnebago Views
Born Free - I think they use lots of molded fiberglass, but not of a 1 or 2 piece design. Not sure.

Chinook used to make a molded fiberglass small Motorhomes, but now only makes more traditional Class Bs.

Another great option in a small Class C Motorhome is the Lazy Daze 23' model. They are made from aircraft aluminum. Great Class Cs.

I don't know if Laura and I will ever be lucky enough to seriously consider a Coach House, but we are fans. We like their smallest unit, the Coach House 220 TB. However, I would be more than happy to buy gently used 261 XL in a few years at retirement!!! Enjoy.

Take care,

Dean
__________________
Laura & Dean | '05 Casita 17' FD | '09 Kia Borrego Limited V8 2WD
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,815
Nice motor homes. If money were no object, I might own one of those and one of each FG trailer.

About the Lazy Daze... if an RV is made of aircraft aluminum (versus some other aluminum), does that allow the RV to fly down the road?
__________________
In the '60s, people took LSD to make the world seem weird.
Now the world is weird, and people take Prozac to make it seem normal.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 2,453
Registry
Nice thing about a small motor home vs a trailer is much shorter overall length. Of course if you tow a car behind it you lose that advantage. I also love the ready access to everything while traveling vs a trailer.

But in the end a trailer works better for us. Every type has pluses and minuses
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Civilguy's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 1,078
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
I don't know if Laura and I will ever be lucky enough to seriously consider a Coach House, but we are fans. We like their smallest unit, the Coach House 220 TB. However, I would be more than happy to buy gently used 261 XL in a few years at retirement!!! Enjoy.
Take care,
Dean
Dean,

Consumed? More like obsessed! If you buy one of those, the only question will be what you are towing behind it, an Oliver or a Mini Cooper!

But, I mean that in nice way. In other words, I'll show you my spreadsheet if you'll show me yours!

Signed,
Your fellow "obsessee"
__________________
~ "This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects." ~
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
DeanCHS1980's Avatar
 
Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Posts: 668
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Dean,

Consumed? More like obsessed! If you buy one of those, the only question will be what you are towing behind it, an Oliver or a Mini Cooper!

But, I mean that in nice way. In other words, I'll show you my spreadsheet if you'll show me yours!

Signed,
Your fellow "obsessee"

Hi Mike,

I am truly obsessed and consumed with RVing and the lifestyle! I am a huge fan of egg campers, but still muse about the thought of a small Motorhome. I appreciate Class As, 5ers, etc, but I don't see us going in that direction.

Laura and I spent the the afternoon talking about a retirement RV in 6 to 8 years. I finally got motivated enough to to mow the grass. Yuck! As I mowed the grass, I would look at our Casita and think how happy we are with it and I am kinda relieved that I don't have to think about really buying a retirement RV for several more years. Perhaps over the next few years it will become clearer whether that will be an Oliver, Escape, Bigfoot, or a small motorhome. It is fun to think about it, but I don't want to commit to it!!!

By the way, we could also be interested in a gently used Escape 21' in a few years if Jill does not want to part with her Coach House. Of course, both would be nice and would keep me from having to decide!!!

Take care,

Dean
__________________
Laura & Dean | '05 Casita 17' FD | '09 Kia Borrego Limited V8 2WD
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
MinnesotaJill's Avatar
 
Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Posts: 108
Registry
I do see us having this Coach House for maybe only 5 years. At the point that we stop using it, that's the time to let it be adopted by someone who will. I won't let it sit.
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 3,644
Jill , We saw you and your Egg Camper at a rally in Duluth 4 or 5 Years ago . It was probably one of the nicest looking trailers at the rally.
We were very envious of your trailers fantastic paint job.
Good luck with your new endeavor.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
Well, we did it. We took out a mortgage (feels like a mortgage ....) and bought a new one. We visited the Coach House factory in Nokomis, Fl and watched the build process from fiberglass one piece shell to having it fitted onto a Ford chassis. We went there because they had 2 newer used ones for sale on consignment, but by the time we got there, they were cleaning them up for the new owners. In the small factory there were about 5 under construction, and they were also sold. The only ones we could actually "tour" were the sold ones before the owners took them away. We were really impressed with the quality. Since we are contemplating long trips, my husband REALLY wanted one and with only so many years left to do this, we did it. Seeing how these really hold their value, we figure a couple years on the road and then we will sell it. This is very similar to the one we ordered. It's a long video, but very comprehensive.
https://youtu.be/61Rt-VS1Tik
They will start ours in October and we will get it in January.
Excellent choice. I had looked at them but they were out of my price range.
__________________
Bob & Deb
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
MinnesotaJill's Avatar
 
Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Posts: 108
Registry
Steve, thanks. That was our first rally. Had a great time.
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
DeanCHS1980's Avatar
 
Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Posts: 668
Registry
Hi Jill,

When I first saw the picture of your trailer, I thought Garnet and Gold from FSU, given your Florida residence, but works for Minnesota, too!

I went to grad school at FSU from 83 to 85.

Any custom paint for the Coach House? Just kidding. All Coach Houses come with full body paint, SWEET!

Dean
__________________

__________________
Laura & Dean | '05 Casita 17' FD | '09 Kia Borrego Limited V8 2WD
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 20' 1963 Ken-craft Travel Coach (California) halffull27 Classified Archives 11 09-28-2012 01:57 PM
taking frame off coach 71 boler Dar Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 09-24-2012 07:31 PM
Help Needed on Columbus Coach Liberty 16' trailer Dirk A Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 18 07-07-2012 12:45 PM
Same camp spot, different coach shane n General Chat 4 07-14-2009 08:37 AM
Proven Value of MF - Coach House? Steve Dunkel Money Matters 21 03-31-2009 10:34 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×