Coach House - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
In my opinion one of the best Class C MHs is Lazy Daze They're manufactured in Montclair, CA. There's a gathering in Death Valley almost every winter some are not exactly new, most are a few years old. According the owners, they've had very little problems with them, even the oldest.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
Well, we did it. We took out a mortgage (feels like a mortgage ....) and bought a new one. We visited the Coach House factory in Nokomis, Fl and watched the build process from fiberglass one piece shell to having it fitted onto a Ford chassis.
Jill,

Congratulations, I'm sure it will work out really terrific for you two!

Old 08-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #17

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
We visited the Coach House factory in Nokomis, Fl
Well, in 2011 I bought a good house in Cape Coral, FL (~40 miles south to Nokomis) for less than 3/4 of Coach House price...
Old 08-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #18

Name: Diane
Trailer: still shopping
Delaware
Quote:
Well, we did it. We took out a mortgage (feels like a mortgage ....) and bought a new one. We visited the Coach House factory in Nokomis, Fl and watched the build process from fiberglass one piece shell to having it fitted onto a Ford chassis. We went there because they had 2 newer used ones for sale on consignment, but by the time we got there, they were cleaning them up for the new owners. In the small factory there were about 5 under construction, and they were also sold. The only ones we could actually "tour" were the sold ones before the owners took them away. We were really impressed with the quality. Since we are contemplating long trips, my husband REALLY wanted one and with only so many years left to do this, we did it. Seeing how these really hold their value, we figure a couple years on the road and then we will sell it. This is very similar to the one we ordered. It's a long video, but very comprehensive.
https://youtu.be/61Rt-VS1Tik
They will start ours in October and we will get it in January.

Best of luck to you! They are beautiful. I'll stare at my brochure and think of you with envy!
Old 08-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #19

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Well, in 2011 I bought a good house in Cape Coral, FL (~40 miles south to Nokomis) for less than 3/4 of Coach House price...
Are you bragging or complaining ?
I would rather have the Coach House , just personnal preference.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #20

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
I just wonder why a small motor home could cost more than a real estate. Well, because people are willing to pay for, I believe.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #21

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Post again in 10 years what the relative value is. Maybe sooner.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #22

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Post again in 10 years what the relative value is. Maybe sooner.
The relative value of the trailer or the home in Florida.?
The last time the real estate bubble burst I saw homes once valued at over $100,000 sell for less than the price of a new Scamp 16 footer.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:42 PM   #23

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
True. Even worse when it's under water.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #24

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
True. Even worse when it's under water.
The scary part is that in the future a home in Florida could be
" Under Water " both literally and figuratively.
Southern Georgia could soon be beach front property .
Old 08-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #25

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I just wonder why a small motor home could cost more than a real estate. Well, because people are willing to pay for, I believe.
I lived in NE PA for a few years, where many people's homes cost less than a new Toyota Camry!

Its really two different markets, RVs and real estate. RVs provide the utility to travel almost anywhere and take your "home" with you. A home is a fixed location. Its a problem we faced. While we wouldn't mind a vacation home, there is no single location we would like to be every winter. Sometimes the SW, sometimes FL, sometimes the Gulf Coast, etc. So if you desire the ability to change locations at a moment's notice, a vacation home is not such a great idea.

And much like a boat, an RV is not an investment. It requires maintenance and insurance, and will depreciate in value. So getting your "moneys worth" is all about using it, the experiences you have. Sitting in the yard they are just a money loser.

NE PA real estate was not an investment either, but it did provide shelter.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #26

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I lived in NE PA for a few years, where many people's homes cost less than a new Toyota Camry!

Its really two different markets, RVs and real estate. RVs provide the utility to travel almost anywhere and take your "home" with you. A home is a fixed location. Its a problem we faced. While we wouldn't mind a vacation home, there is no single location we would like to be every winter. Sometimes the SW, sometimes FL, sometimes the Gulf Coast, etc. So if you desire the ability to change locations at a moment's notice, a vacation home is not such a great idea.

And much like a boat, an RV is not an investment. It requires maintenance and insurance, and will depreciate in value. So getting your "moneys worth" is all about using it, the experiences you have. Sitting in the yard they are just a money loser.

NE PA real estate was not an investment either, but it did provide shelter.
Real Estate Value is like the old saying
"Location ,Location ,Location " . We bought a 1 acre lot on a lake about 100 miles from a major city . Paid $14K for the lot and the last appraisal showed the lots value to be well over $100K.
If the price of fuel rise or the economy fails or intersest rates rise then cut that evaluation in half. It's all a gamble !!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #27

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Well, we did it. We took out a mortgage (feels like a mortgage ....) and bought a new one. We visited the Coach House factory in Nokomis, Fl and watched the build process from fiberglass one piece shell to having it fitted onto a Ford chassis. We went there because they had 2 newer used ones for sale on consignment, but by the time we got there, they were cleaning them up for the new owners. In the small factory there were about 5 under construction, and they were also sold. The only ones we could actually "tour" were the sold ones before the owners took them away. We were really impressed with the quality. Since we are contemplating long trips, my husband REALLY wanted one and with only so many years left to do this, we did it. Seeing how these really hold their value, we figure a couple years on the road and then we will sell it. This is very similar to the one we ordered. It's a long video, but very comprehensive.
https://youtu.be/61Rt-VS1Tik
They will start ours in October and we will get it in January.
Hi Jill,

CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase of the Coach House 261 XL. Wow, Coach House makes exquisite small motorhomes. One of their many attributes is their one piece fiberglass design. Outstanding.

Laura and I discovered RVing in the Fall, 2014. Researched for about a year. We knew we wanted a small used towable, thus my discovery of egg campers. Our Casita is the "perfect" trailer for us right now. We are empty nesters and I have about 6 to 8 years of work left before retirement. However, I stay consumed with RVs and the life style, so Laura and I talk about retirement rigs. Of course egg campers like Olivers, Escapes, and Bigfoots are often discussed. Yet, both of us are drawn to small Motorhomes. We have determined that the Class Bs are a bit too small. We prefer the small Class C and/or B+ (still a Class C) Motorhomes at around 22' to 25'. Your Coach House is one of the finest examples of what Laura and I prefer:

1. Molded fiberglass.
2. Small - Coach Houses are 23' to 27'.
3. Ford Chassis - MB Sprinter Chassis dominant the market of higher end small Motorhomes and are great chassis but I prefer the Ford.

Not all of the following are molded fiberglass, but will tend to have molded fiberglass roofs, front caps, and rear caps:

Pleasure Way
Leisure Travel Vans
Winnebago Views
Born Free - I think they use lots of molded fiberglass, but not of a 1 or 2 piece design. Not sure.

Chinook used to make a molded fiberglass small Motorhomes, but now only makes more traditional Class Bs.

Another great option in a small Class C Motorhome is the Lazy Daze 23' model. They are made from aircraft aluminum. Great Class Cs.

I don't know if Laura and I will ever be lucky enough to seriously consider a Coach House, but we are fans. We like their smallest unit, the Coach House 220 TB. However, I would be more than happy to buy gently used 261 XL in a few years at retirement!!! Enjoy.

Take care,

Dean
Old 08-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Nice motor homes. If money were no object, I might own one of those and one of each FG trailer.

About the Lazy Daze... if an RV is made of aircraft aluminum (versus some other aluminum), does that allow the RV to fly down the road?

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote