Coach House - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Post again in 10 years what the relative value is. Maybe sooner.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Post again in 10 years what the relative value is. Maybe sooner.
The relative value of the trailer or the home in Florida.?
The last time the real estate bubble burst I saw homes once valued at over $100,000 sell for less than the price of a new Scamp 16 footer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
True. Even worse when it's under water.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:48 AM   #24

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
True. Even worse when it's under water.
The scary part is that in the future a home in Florida could be
" Under Water " both literally and figuratively.
Southern Georgia could soon be beach front property .
Old 08-06-2017, 07:21 AM   #25

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I just wonder why a small motor home could cost more than a real estate. Well, because people are willing to pay for, I believe.
I lived in NE PA for a few years, where many people's homes cost less than a new Toyota Camry!

Its really two different markets, RVs and real estate. RVs provide the utility to travel almost anywhere and take your "home" with you. A home is a fixed location. Its a problem we faced. While we wouldn't mind a vacation home, there is no single location we would like to be every winter. Sometimes the SW, sometimes FL, sometimes the Gulf Coast, etc. So if you desire the ability to change locations at a moment's notice, a vacation home is not such a great idea.

And much like a boat, an RV is not an investment. It requires maintenance and insurance, and will depreciate in value. So getting your "moneys worth" is all about using it, the experiences you have. Sitting in the yard they are just a money loser.

NE PA real estate was not an investment either, but it did provide shelter.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #26

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I lived in NE PA for a few years, where many people's homes cost less than a new Toyota Camry!

Its really two different markets, RVs and real estate. RVs provide the utility to travel almost anywhere and take your "home" with you. A home is a fixed location. Its a problem we faced. While we wouldn't mind a vacation home, there is no single location we would like to be every winter. Sometimes the SW, sometimes FL, sometimes the Gulf Coast, etc. So if you desire the ability to change locations at a moment's notice, a vacation home is not such a great idea.

And much like a boat, an RV is not an investment. It requires maintenance and insurance, and will depreciate in value. So getting your "moneys worth" is all about using it, the experiences you have. Sitting in the yard they are just a money loser.

NE PA real estate was not an investment either, but it did provide shelter.
Real Estate Value is like the old saying
"Location ,Location ,Location " . We bought a 1 acre lot on a lake about 100 miles from a major city . Paid $14K for the lot and the last appraisal showed the lots value to be well over $100K.
If the price of fuel rise or the economy fails or intersest rates rise then cut that evaluation in half. It's all a gamble !!
Old 08-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #27

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
Well, we did it. We took out a mortgage (feels like a mortgage ....) and bought a new one. We visited the Coach House factory in Nokomis, Fl and watched the build process from fiberglass one piece shell to having it fitted onto a Ford chassis. We went there because they had 2 newer used ones for sale on consignment, but by the time we got there, they were cleaning them up for the new owners. In the small factory there were about 5 under construction, and they were also sold. The only ones we could actually "tour" were the sold ones before the owners took them away. We were really impressed with the quality. Since we are contemplating long trips, my husband REALLY wanted one and with only so many years left to do this, we did it. Seeing how these really hold their value, we figure a couple years on the road and then we will sell it. This is very similar to the one we ordered. It's a long video, but very comprehensive.
https://youtu.be/61Rt-VS1Tik
They will start ours in October and we will get it in January.
Hi Jill,

CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase of the Coach House 261 XL. Wow, Coach House makes exquisite small motorhomes. One of their many attributes is their one piece fiberglass design. Outstanding.

Laura and I discovered RVing in the Fall, 2014. Researched for about a year. We knew we wanted a small used towable, thus my discovery of egg campers. Our Casita is the "perfect" trailer for us right now. We are empty nesters and I have about 6 to 8 years of work left before retirement. However, I stay consumed with RVs and the life style, so Laura and I talk about retirement rigs. Of course egg campers like Olivers, Escapes, and Bigfoots are often discussed. Yet, both of us are drawn to small Motorhomes. We have determined that the Class Bs are a bit too small. We prefer the small Class C and/or B+ (still a Class C) Motorhomes at around 22' to 25'. Your Coach House is one of the finest examples of what Laura and I prefer:

1. Molded fiberglass.
2. Small - Coach Houses are 23' to 27'.
3. Ford Chassis - MB Sprinter Chassis dominant the market of higher end small Motorhomes and are great chassis but I prefer the Ford.

Not all of the following are molded fiberglass, but will tend to have molded fiberglass roofs, front caps, and rear caps:

Pleasure Way
Leisure Travel Vans
Winnebago Views
Born Free - I think they use lots of molded fiberglass, but not of a 1 or 2 piece design. Not sure.

Chinook used to make a molded fiberglass small Motorhomes, but now only makes more traditional Class Bs.

Another great option in a small Class C Motorhome is the Lazy Daze 23' model. They are made from aircraft aluminum. Great Class Cs.

I don't know if Laura and I will ever be lucky enough to seriously consider a Coach House, but we are fans. We like their smallest unit, the Coach House 220 TB. However, I would be more than happy to buy gently used 261 XL in a few years at retirement!!! Enjoy.

Take care,

Dean
Old 08-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Nice motor homes. If money were no object, I might own one of those and one of each FG trailer.

About the Lazy Daze... if an RV is made of aircraft aluminum (versus some other aluminum), does that allow the RV to fly down the road?
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #29

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Nice thing about a small motor home vs a trailer is much shorter overall length. Of course if you tow a car behind it you lose that advantage. I also love the ready access to everything while traveling vs a trailer.

But in the end a trailer works better for us. Every type has pluses and minuses
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
I don't know if Laura and I will ever be lucky enough to seriously consider a Coach House, but we are fans. We like their smallest unit, the Coach House 220 TB. However, I would be more than happy to buy gently used 261 XL in a few years at retirement!!! Enjoy.
Take care,
Dean
Dean,

Consumed? More like obsessed! If you buy one of those, the only question will be what you are towing behind it, an Oliver or a Mini Cooper!

But, I mean that in nice way. In other words, I'll show you my spreadsheet if you'll show me yours!

Signed,
Your fellow "obsessee"

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #31

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Dean,

Consumed? More like obsessed! If you buy one of those, the only question will be what you are towing behind it, an Oliver or a Mini Cooper!

But, I mean that in nice way. In other words, I'll show you my spreadsheet if you'll show me yours!

Signed,
Your fellow "obsessee"

Hi Mike,

I am truly obsessed and consumed with RVing and the lifestyle! I am a huge fan of egg campers, but still muse about the thought of a small Motorhome. I appreciate Class As, 5ers, etc, but I don't see us going in that direction.

Laura and I spent the the afternoon talking about a retirement RV in 6 to 8 years. I finally got motivated enough to to mow the grass. Yuck! As I mowed the grass, I would look at our Casita and think how happy we are with it and I am kinda relieved that I don't have to think about really buying a retirement RV for several more years. Perhaps over the next few years it will become clearer whether that will be an Oliver, Escape, Bigfoot, or a small motorhome. It is fun to think about it, but I don't want to commit to it!!!

By the way, we could also be interested in a gently used Escape 21' in a few years if Jill does not want to part with her Coach House. Of course, both would be nice and would keep me from having to decide!!!

Take care,

Dean
Old 08-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #32

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
I do see us having this Coach House for maybe only 5 years. At the point that we stop using it, that's the time to let it be adopted by someone who will. I won't let it sit.
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #33

NW Wisconsin
Jill , We saw you and your Egg Camper at a rally in Duluth 4 or 5 Years ago . It was probably one of the nicest looking trailers at the rally.
We were very envious of your trailers fantastic paint job.
Good luck with your new endeavor.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #34

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
Well, we did it. We took out a mortgage (feels like a mortgage ....) and bought a new one. We visited the Coach House factory in Nokomis, Fl and watched the build process from fiberglass one piece shell to having it fitted onto a Ford chassis. We went there because they had 2 newer used ones for sale on consignment, but by the time we got there, they were cleaning them up for the new owners. In the small factory there were about 5 under construction, and they were also sold. The only ones we could actually "tour" were the sold ones before the owners took them away. We were really impressed with the quality. Since we are contemplating long trips, my husband REALLY wanted one and with only so many years left to do this, we did it. Seeing how these really hold their value, we figure a couple years on the road and then we will sell it. This is very similar to the one we ordered. It's a long video, but very comprehensive.
https://youtu.be/61Rt-VS1Tik
They will start ours in October and we will get it in January.
Excellent choice. I had looked at them but they were out of my price range.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #35

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Steve, thanks. That was our first rally. Had a great time.
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #36

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Jill,

When I first saw the picture of your trailer, I thought Garnet and Gold from FSU, given your Florida residence, but works for Minnesota, too!

I went to grad school at FSU from 83 to 85.

Any custom paint for the Coach House? Just kidding. All Coach Houses come with full body paint, SWEET!

Dean