Coach House - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Coach House

Are there any opinions about these fiberglass Class C rvs?
We have an 2010 Eggcamper but my husband doesn't want to "tow" anymore and he wants a Class C. I am firmly of the mind that if we have to go that way, I want fiberglass. I know these Coach House ones are really expensive, but in the end I think you get what you pay for. I've seen a few used for sale (not many) and they appear to hold their value sort of like our beloved eggs.
Will I get kicked out of the FGRV club if we buy one of these?
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:18 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Born Free motor homes are "sort of" molded fiberglass. they are made of molded fiberglass pieces but unlike our trailers, they have many more pieces. I personally think their quality is excellent. Bigfoot also made some motor homes but they are not molded, but made from panels. They are better than a stickey, but do not compare to a molded unit. Another motor home that I think is very good quality is Lazy Daze. They are made with an aluminum skin (no fiberglass) but they are a quality unit. If I found a good deal on a Born Free or Lazy Daze, I just might sell my Bigfoot.
Jack L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #3

Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
So you've never looked at or considered a Coach House?
Old 06-16-2017, 11:24 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Hmm...Actually some of the Coach House models do use a 1-piece molded fiberglass shell.

Don't think you'd be kicked out but not too sure you'd share the same issues/problems.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:52 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
We had looked at them a few years back before we got the Escape. Also considered were the Leisure and Pleasure-Way class C's. All 3 were excellent quality but more $ then I wanted to spend. Maybe when I get sick of towing.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:11 AM   #6

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
WOW...the Coach House is beautiful! Starting price for the Sprinter version is $140K so out of my league. Glad to see the B and C world is turning-on to fiberglass! Go see them; you'll be wowed.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #7

Name: YJ
Trailer: In the market
Alabama
Who makes a fiberglass class B? Thank you!
yjstahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:34 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Coach House

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjstahl View Post
Class B's are raised-roof vans. Some of them use fiberglass for the raised roof part. The rest is the stock steel van body. Some newer vans offer full steel raised roof versions from the manufacturer, so no fiberglass needed. My mother's Chevy Roadtrek also has some fiberglass (I think) lower storage compartments attached to the rocker panels.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:44 AM   #9

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjstahl View Post
The Coach House Class B is not fiberglass. The Class C uses a Sprinter chassis and places a molded fiberglass body on the chassis. My message wasn't clear. Class B's are up fitted vans. After seeing so many accidents with travel trailers this year, I'm seriously thinking about the B. However the price is prohibitive!
Old 08-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
The Coach House Class B is not fiberglass. The Class C uses a Sprinter chassis and places a molded fiberglass body on the chassis. My message wasn't clear. Class B's are up fitted vans. After seeing so many accidents with travel trailers this year, I'm seriously thinking about the B. However the price is prohibitive!
Could you quantify "So Many Accidents with travel trailers"
The only thing I've witnessed this year is a Class A and a Class C
burn to the ground while parked in a campgrounds .
I am just trying to put some perspective to your comment.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:58 AM   #11

Alabama
Thank you they are pricey trying to look for used with low mileage but still $$$$
Old 08-05-2017, 07:58 AM   #12

Alabama
Thank you
Old 08-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #13

Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Well, we did it. We took out a mortgage (feels like a mortgage ....) and bought a new one. We visited the Coach House factory in Nokomis, Fl and watched the build process from fiberglass one piece shell to having it fitted onto a Ford chassis. We went there because they had 2 newer used ones for sale on consignment, but by the time we got there, they were cleaning them up for the new owners. In the small factory there were about 5 under construction, and they were also sold. The only ones we could actually "tour" were the sold ones before the owners took them away. We were really impressed with the quality. Since we are contemplating long trips, my husband REALLY wanted one and with only so many years left to do this, we did it. Seeing how these really hold their value, we figure a couple years on the road and then we will sell it. This is very similar to the one we ordered. It's a long video, but very comprehensive.
https://youtu.be/61Rt-VS1Tik
They will start ours in October and we will get it in January.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #14

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
Well, we did it. We took out a mortgage (feels like a mortgage ....) and bought a new one. We visited the Coach House factory in Nokomis, Fl and watched the build process from fiberglass one piece shell to having it fitted onto a Ford chassis. We went there because they had 2 newer used ones for sale on consignment, but by the time we got there, they were cleaning them up for the new owners. In the small factory there were about 5 under construction, and they were also sold. The only ones we could actually "tour" were the sold ones before the owners took them away. We were really impressed with the quality. Since we are contemplating long trips, my husband REALLY wanted one and with only so many years left to do this, we did it. Seeing how these really hold their value, we figure a couple years on the road and then we will sell it. This is very similar to the one we ordered. It's a long video, but very comprehensive.
Thank you so much for your input!
Old 08-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
In my opinion one of the best Class C MHs is Lazy Daze They're manufactured in Montclair, CA. There's a gathering in Death Valley almost every winter some are not exactly new, most are a few years old. According the owners, they've had very little problems with them, even the oldest.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Well, we did it. We took out a mortgage (feels like a mortgage ....) and bought a new one. We visited the Coach House factory in Nokomis, Fl and watched the build process from fiberglass one piece shell to having it fitted onto a Ford chassis.
Jill,

Congratulations, I'm sure it will work out really terrific for you two!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #17

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
We visited the Coach House factory in Nokomis, Fl
Well, in 2011 I bought a good house in Cape Coral, FL (~40 miles south to Nokomis) for less than 3/4 of Coach House price...
Old 08-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #18

Delaware
Quote:

Best of luck to you! They are beautiful. I'll stare at my brochure and think of you with envy!
Old 08-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Well, in 2011 I bought a good house in Cape Coral, FL (~40 miles south to Nokomis) for less than 3/4 of Coach House price...
Are you bragging or complaining ?
I would rather have the Coach House , just personnal preference.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #20

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I just wonder why a small motor home could cost more than a real estate. Well, because people are willing to pay for, I believe.