Coastal Campgrounds in San Diego Area - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

Any advise about Coastal Campgrounds in San Diego Area. Any which would allow tent camping as well as RV.
Time period would be end of May to early June.
Thanks!
DesertHawk
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
South Carlsbad and San Elijo State Parks both allow tent camping but will be next to impossible to get reservations at this late date.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #3

Unhappy

Thanks Steve. Those were two of the beach campgrounds I have found last night:
South Carlsbad State Beach http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=660
http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin...0&year=2002
South Carlsbad State Beach, Carlsbad-A popular Camping San Diego location overlooking the beach. No day-use facilities. Campsite features 222 RV/tent sites.

San Elijo State Beach http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=662
http://www.sandiegonorth.com/camping.asp

How about these?
San Onofre State Beach, North of Oceanside http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=647
This beach has overnight camping and is a popular place for swimming, surfing, fishing, picnicking and hiking. The campsite features 220 RV/tent sites
Guajome County Park-This San Diego Camping site offers camping and recreation such as hiking, picnic areas, horseback riding, and fishing. Visitors enjoy a unique blend of history with the historic Rancho Guajome Adobe. Campsite features 35 tent/RV sites.

San Clemente State Beach which is in Orange County but is close to San Diego County, I believe. http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=646

We plan on going to Sea World from the campground.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Quote:
South Carlsbad and San Elijo State Parks both allow tent camping but will be next to impossible to get reservations at this late date.
Our two favorites, also, with preference for San Elijo. Steve is absolutely correct on the possibility of getting reservations. Best chance is during the week and perhaps moving from site to site as one opens up for a day or two. Probably zero chance of an ocean-side site. There is a great variance on which utilities are available at different sites, so watch that. Try to avoid the sites next to the highway at San Elijo---heavy traffic noise. Of course you hear the trains too, but seem to become accustomed to that. Good surf spot at the north end of the park. Tip: showers get heavy use and dirty, so watch when the cleaning staff leaves, then run!---and take quarters! Nice little grocery just across the highway and RR tracks. (We lived for many, many years just a few miles from that spot, and had many family campouts at S.E.)

Silver Strand south of Coronado also might be a good spot to check out. Location is beautiful. When we lived in the area, there was no overnight camping, but that may have changed.
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

San Diego County is an extremely popular vacation destination. Private RV campgrounds charge whatever the market can bear. The average weekend price at a Privately Owned campground runs above $60 per night with a 2 night minimum reservation... and most of them are full.

Government run campgrounds (State & County) charge less, but you have to reserve 6 months early. That means for a May or June arrival you need to make your reservations in November or December. We have a member who made reservations for July on the 2nd of January at San Elijo and got 1 night. He reported that the whole month of July's reservations were taken by 10:00 AM on January 2. This is April 7, so I'm guessing the beach areas are booked solid thru Halloween.

Silver Strand State Beach's "campground" is an asphalt covered lot with NO hookups. The "sites" are outlined with white stripes, and barely bigger than 2 parking spots at your average WalMart. Your rig must have a bathroom with holding tanks, and everyone is running a generator. No tents allowed. But, it's "the beach". I think the only way to get reservations there is to have someone leave them to you in their will.

Me? I live here. I vacation in the mountains.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #6

My daughter-in-law was able to make reservations for two nights at San Elijo State Beach for the 27 & 28 of May. We have dropped the tent part of the equation and will spend the nights with them in their 5th wheel.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Quote:
My daughter-in-law was able to make reservations for two nights at San Elijo State Beach for the 27 & 28 of May. We have dropped the tent part of the equation and will spend the nights with them in their 5th wheel.
You are lucky!

Be aware that parking the extra car or vehicle can be a problem at SESB.
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #8

Today, Saturday 18 April I made a reservation for two nights for us as well at San Elijo State Beach for the 27 & 28 of May. I didn't know if there would be room for our car or truck at their site. So a tent will be part of the equation again.

There were still several sites available.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:
I made a reservation for two nights for us as well at San Elijo State Beach for the[b] 27 & 28 of May.
Wednesday & Thursday, midweek just before a Holiday Weekend. There can still be availabilities MIDWEEK, when guys like me have to WORK. I can never find reservation availabilities for WEEKENDS.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #10

Smile

I Cancelled the Reservation this morning, the trip fell through. Our son & his family are not going to come south this year. Out $14.50 as they were as well. Now I remember why I do not like to make reservations or plan trips out.

Much better to go and see were we end up being and staying. It has worked for 40 years or so. Why change now.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Quote:
I Cancelled the Reservation this morning, the trip fell through. Our son & his family are not going to come south this year. Out $14.50 as they were as well. Now I remember why I do not like to make reservations or plan trips out.

Much better to go and see were we end up being and staying. It has worked for 40 years or so. Why change now.
You didn't have to lose any money. I for one probably would've taken over your reservation. What space did you have?
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote