Cobb? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Cobb?

How many of you Cobb Grill owners are still in love with it??

I bought one, used it a few times and find my self using my small Weber more than the Cobb.

Just curious,
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Depends what I am cooking and what size grill I need. I am very glad I have mine, but I haven't really started using my Volcano yet.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
I still use my Cobb but I too have a Volcano that I haven't used camping yet

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I bought 2 cases of the COBB charcoal at a good price so I'm good for awhile. I enjoy the taste but cleaning is a pain while camping so I just bring it home dirty and put in dishwasher. The taste/moist cooking is great IMHO.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #5

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Perry J ,am glad you ask this question.....I have wanted a Cobb or Volcano for years but wasn't sure I would use it enough for the cost after the new wore off.

Not long ago I ate some food cooked in this can cooker Seth McGinn's CanCooker - Cater to your Crowd - Slow Cooker - Crock Pot - Steam Cooker Kind of like a slow cooker,or maybe pressure cooker, can be used on campfire,grill or your cook stove at home. Of course I am back to will I use it enough for the cost. One of my brothers in law has one and he says if he isn't using it outside his wife is using it inside, They started with the large one for cooking turkey and big group foods now they want the small one when there is just the 2 of them.

Isn't it great to have a fun place to share interesting things we find for camping and home?
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #6

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Cobb?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1421986889.516901.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	79892I like using my Cobb grill. I use it to grill and smoke. I'll cook a pork shoulder and make pulled pork burgers, cook whole chickens or fish. Best of all it only uses 9 charcoal briquettes.
It is a little difficult to clean but I also just bring it home and put it in the dishwasher.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I bought my Cobb so I could do more cooking at the picnic table without carrying a camp stove fueled by those little propane canisters. After 1.5 years, I can say the Cobb meets my expectations.

It doesn't use much charcoal and (since I got all the pans that go with it) is versatile - I use the "wok" to saute vegetables, heat pre-cooked meat or canned beans; there's a "griddle" that works well for eggs or pancakes, albeit only a few at a time (the Cobb's cooking surface is not huge). I would not use it for cooking dried beans, nor for boiling water for pasta. Also, I will say I prefer a dutch oven for bread or biscuits.

It came with a carrying bag that holds it and all the accessories, which makes it handy to stow in the back of our pickup. The downside of that is it's a bit heavy when it's all packed up together. (Comparable to the dutch ovens.) As mentioned by others, the unit containing the fire bowl can be difficult to clean if used for meat.

At some point I may purchase a second Cobb cooker, without all the accessories; although for now I'm pleased with the combo of it and a dutch oven or two. It puts me outside for meal prep, and in good weather that's the best!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Perry J ,am glad you ask this question.....I have wanted a Cobb or Volcano for years but wasn't sure I would use it enough for the cost after the new wore off.

Not long ago I ate some food cooked in this can cooker Seth McGinn's CanCooker - Cater to your Crowd - Slow Cooker - Crock Pot - Steam Cooker Kind of like a slow cooker,or maybe pressure cooker, can be used on campfire,grill or your cook stove at home. Of course I am back to will I use it enough for the cost. One of my brothers in law has one and he says if he isn't using it outside his wife is using it inside, They started with the large one for cooking turkey and big group foods now they want the small one when there is just the 2 of them.

Isn't it great to have a fun place to share interesting things we find for camping and home?
We have both the Cobb and the small Can Cooker. Tend to use the Cobb outside in warm weather. Use the Can Cooker year around. Fixed dinner in the Can 2 nights ago on the kitchen stove. Love it.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:46 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I'm not sure I "get" using the Can Cooker indoors. How is this better than a kettle with a lid? And you have no cool-to-the-touch handle like with a kettle. Even outdoors, if you have a rack over the camp fire, a kettle will work there too. What's the deal??
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:38 PM   #10

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I use the Cobb almost every camping trip.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:55 AM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe the "Can cooker" is more like a pressure cooker, cooks faster and infuses the ingredients. I only wished it was stainless vs aluminum, I try to avoid the aluminum cookware, particularly non Alcoa items, due to the impurity food contamination.