coby colored TV for camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I saw that someone on this board had gotten one. So I had hubby order me one for Christmas. Yep, it is a month late, and what a joke it is. It finally came today. The one they sent me is sooooo small I could not even see this if laying in my bed. Sure hope they take it back.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Yep, a 5 inch screen is what it is.

You might be surprised, though. In the Casita, the little t.v. somehow seems a lot bigger than in the living room. (I have a 5", although I admit I upgraded to a huge 9" for outings where we want to watch a sporting event or movie.)

YMMV, of course.

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:23 PM   #3

somehow with that nice picture of that little TV on Amazon.com it looked so much bigger. I guess I had my hopes up for something a little bigger than what it is. I haven't had the heart to tell hubby I don't like it after it took over 2 months to get it here.
They must have sold a lot of them for Christmas as they were back ordered. But 5" just looks sooooo small when I took it out of the box. I will need magnifying glasses to see it from the little stand at my feet in the camper
I haven't tried it out. It has to be in origiional packaging to send it back. We have never ordered from Amazon before so I am hesitant to try it out. If not liking it, I think I might be stuck with it. I am tempted to see what it really is like though.
Good picture, good sound, etc??????
Do I keep it or send it back. Decisions

Old 01-31-2007, 05:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
It seems like I've been seeing some of the new travel trailers, fiberglass and otherwise, with flatscreen TV's mounted, from the bottom of cabinets, or places where they're kind of out of the way, is that what you guys are talking about? I can't imagine a 5" screen, WOW! Personally, I usually have my laptop along on a trip, and can easily watch DVDs on that. Boondocking, you can't hope for much more than that, since the TV reception usually SUCKS! hehe
FYI, this is my first contribution to a forum as a new member to the site, so be kind, k? hehe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
A 5" screen sounds like a component designed for use in those in-dash players with the retractable screen: hit a button and the tiny screen comes out like a drawer and flips up for viewing. The only reason to go that small would be to fit in the common stereo slot in the dash.

7" is a lot more common on portable DVD players. I can't imagine even using that if I had a choice, but it depends I suppose on what you're watching and whether you're trying to get two people to see it at the same time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:09 PM   #6

Quote:
It seems like I've been seeing some of the new travel trailers, fiberglass and otherwise, with flatscreen TV's mounted, from the bottom of cabinets, or places where they're kind of out of the way, is that what you guys are talking about? I can't imagine a 5" screen, WOW! Personally, I usually have my laptop along on a trip, and can easily watch DVDs on that. Boondocking, you can't hope for much more than that, since the TV reception usually SUCKS! hehe
FYI, this is my first contribution to a forum as a new member to the site, so be kind, k? hehe
Welcome Joseph, This is the TV I am talking about, ordered it on Amazon.com

Name:   cobytv.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  16.1 KB

Go over to Amazon and check it out.

Coby TF-TV505 5" LCD Color Television by Coby
Buy new: $112.99 $89.99 Used & new from $89.99
In stock. Processing takes an additional 3 to 4 days.
Electronics

I should have gotten one like you are talking about, but for the price of this little one, I thought I would get more than I got. Oh well, live and learn. This one could fit under my pillow or in the camper drawer. It could even fit into my purse.
Hope you enjoy the forum Joseph. There are a LOT of nice helpful people here. Glad to have you with us.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:
I saw that someone on this board had gotten one. So I had hubby order me one for Christmas. Yep, it is a month late, and what a joke it is. It finally came today. The one they sent me is sooooo small I could not even see this if laying in my bed. Sure hope they take it back.

Something I was thinking about a while ago was getting one of these big magnifying glass things for tv screens (sold online at assistance device sites...for people with low vision/hearing). They weren't very expensive, and they can make your tiny tv look much larger. Might be worth a look? I thought about doing that because it would make everything so much more portable but at the same time as enjoyable as a larger screen.
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Something I was thinking about a while ago was getting one of these big magnifying glass things for tv screens (sold online at assistance device sites...for people with low vision/hearing). They weren't very expensive, and they can make your tiny tv look much larger. Might be worth a look? I thought about doing that because it would make everything so much more portable but at the same time as enjoyable as a larger screen.
one thing leads to another LOL went there and did not see them for a small tv like mine. will have to check a little further on that. I sent the site over to my sister-in-law whose son is going blind. Maybe he can see the tv better with one of those. Thanks

Old 02-02-2007, 01:03 AM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
We debated what to get for our trailer and ended up purchasing a " 10.2 " inch screen portable dvd player. TV makes no sense for where we camp. Best Buy has their own brand called Insignia for about $200, which is a great deal and it is highly rated by critics. The picture is wonderful. Headphone sound is great -- thru speakers is tinny, like all portables I think. We're looking forward to using it when we can stay awake long enough in the evening to appreciate it.
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
We debated what to get for our trailer and ended up purchasing a " 10.2 " inch screen portable dvd player. TV makes no sense for where we camp. Best Buy has their own brand called Insignia for about $200, which is a great deal and it is highly rated by critics. The picture is wonderful. Headphone sound is great -- thru speakers is tinny, like all portables I think. We're looking forward to using it when we can stay awake long enough in the evening to appreciate it.
the kids got me an Insignia portable DVD player for Christmas. I do love it. I have tested that one out already.
However that tiny coby TV is 1/2 the size, sooooo small for a TV. I will probably watch the DVD more as reception is bad in most out of town areas of camping. I am wondering if I will get any reception with that TV. Time will tell (how do I return hubby's christmas gift to me?! LOL).

Old 02-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
When I sell my 13, the TV, unfortunately, is going with it. It's a permanent install and removing it would leave a big hole in the side of the cabinet.

It's a 7 inch Rossen with a seperate tuner with all the ins and outs, even two remote controls. It pivots and swing.. I am going to miss it.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
When I sell my 13, the TV, unfortunately, is going with it. It's a permanent install and removing it would leave a big hole in the side of the cabinet.
humm, you can't remove the TV and install a cupboard door? Then you can advertise the trailer as having "Additional Storage Space."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #13

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
I've got the 5 inch tv and find it's perfect for 1 person to watch. I use it daily in my car for my hour lunch setting it on the dashboard. In the trailer it sets on a table about 2 foot away and is all the tv I need. I've used a 13 inch tv and the space it takes up is not worth the xtra size screen. Running a bigger screen on battery power runs the battery down a lot quicker. I boondock a lot and keeping the battery happy is a priority over a big screen experience. The biggest tv in the house is 32 inch which is more than enough for me.
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 72 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
WOW! Personally, I usually have my laptop along on a trip, and can easily watch DVDs on that. Boondocking, you can't hope for much more than that, since the TV reception usually SUCKS! hehe FYI, this is my first contribution to a forum as a new member to the site, so be kind, k? hehe
How do you power the laptop while boondocking? The roll up solar units look like they only power while the sun is up and I don't currently have power in my compact JR.

fellow newbie,
Sharyl
Sharyl Allender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
The best way to deal with your laptop without a plug in..

Run the laptop batterry to nothing, turn it off, charge with the smallest invertor you can get away with (100 watt is probably about right) and then start the whole process over again.

If you charge with the computer off, it hardly makes a pinhole sized dent in your battery.

I intend to try a usb TV tuner with mine, but I just bought a brand new laptop last week.. and it has Vista.. nothing works with it yet.

It really makes sense, since my laptop is always with me, and to buy a tv with that size screen that runs on 12v. would be .. well... expensive!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote