Coffee Cups/Makers - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #41

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Wow... white gas stoves, too!
Jon, I'll admit to being a little slow to change.

That hard to see stove on the right is a 413F bought at a yard sale while in college in 67 or 68. The folding oven sitting on it was acquired at the same time. Between those two and the single burner, we eat pretty well.

Pat, if that old junk ever gets to be too much in your way let me know
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #42

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
The paper filters make cleanup so easy and much less messy. I am too lazy to want to use a metal filter. The paper filters are so small that the ecological savings versus using a metal filter is not that big of a big issue.

The key to easy cleaning is to push out the grounds immediately after making the coffee. It is the hot water in the grounds that makes it a snap to clean. If you wait until it gets cold the grounds take a lot more force push out.
Having used the AeroPress for camping the last 10+ years I now exclusively use the metal filter because of the ease of use. The grounds go into the bushes when boondocking, or into a bin at a campground, and a quick rinse of the filter with hot water from the kettle is all it takes to clean up.

At home I mostly use the paper though, each one good for about 20 or so uses. Real easy to rinse under the tap and used filters work WAY better.

I agree that cleaning right after pressing is the best time. The hot oils in the residue wipe off super easy, and that is all I usually do. Very seldom does the press ever get a thorough sink or dishwasher cleaning. As well, leaving the plunger in the cylinder for extended times can cause it to allow are to leak when pressing, though it is easy to "massage" the rubber back to its original shape.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #43

Registry
Another electric coffee pot that gets great reviews and allows you to adjust various aspect of the extraction to customize your cup is the Behmor Brazen Plus. Way to big to bring camping though, but I think that of just about any electric pot.

https://behmor.com/brazen-plus/
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #44

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I have an old Coleman stove I can't figure out what to do with. It's a huge 3-burner with a gold fuel tank, which I think means it was built in the 50's. Pretty cool, but man that thing is huge! I bought it for $15 at thrift store. It looked like it had never been used. Had a hornets nest in one corner.

It works great but it's just so much stove to haul around.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #45
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
We use a simple French press! Works great no matter where we are and no electrify!!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #46

Name: Denise
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Coffee maker

I use an old fashioned espresso maker, same as I use at home. Fast, easy to clean, minimal garbage generated. Check your thrift shop for high quality ones for almost free
Old 12-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #47

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
If you prefer espresso, the "Minipresso" and "Nanopresso" hand pump machines may be worth looking at. Very compact and sturdy. They're normally not too bad to clean, but there's a lot of internal bits that aren't supposed to ever get anything but very hot water in them that I don't think are accessible to clean if you mess up and get grounds in there somehow. So, not quite as forgiving as the Aeropress where the whole thing can be easily pulled apart and cleaned.

I bought one of those when they first came out, used it 3-4 times, and only ever got a lukewarm blah cup from them, no matter how hot the boiling water I started with.

I'm in the aeropress and hand pour camp... I use a Handground grinder too. Pricy, but well made, and does a excellent job of grinding at the expense of a couple minutes of turning the crank. if you grind extra fine for espresso, it takes a long time, but medium-fine for drip, aeropress is easy enough. And, if you stick with light to medium roasts (my favs), it doesn't need cleaning, but dark French/Italian roasts will require an occasional cleanout as they leave a lot of oils behind.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I have an old Coleman stove I can't figure out what to do with. It's a huge 3-burner with a gold fuel tank, which I think means it was built in the 50's. Pretty cool, but man that thing is huge! I bought it for $15 at thrift store. It looked like it had never been used. Had a hornets nest in one corner.

It works great but it's just so much stove to haul around.
That sounds like a 426 and, with the bronze colored tank, you’re probably close with that date estimate. The model number of Coleman stoves is usually stamped on the outside, lower left front - three digits possibly followed by a letter. The mfr date of the tank should be stamped on the bottom. Should you ever decide to pass it along, let me know. If things work out, we’ll be visiting up your way next Spring/Summer.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:59 AM   #49

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you want a battery powered coffee maker there really is one, but it is not 12v. You can get a 12v charger for the 18v battery pack it uses. it will also work on 120v

Makita makes coffee machines that run on the battery pack used for their other power tools. Price on Amazon is around $40.00 (without battery or charger)

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/DCM500Z

They now also have an improved K-cup version with an option for drip that was released in 2018 but not yet available from a USA supplier, Japan's line voltage is not a match to the USA. So maybe next year they will have a model for the USA with that sorted out. That looks like a much better machine that puts out a larger cup of coffee. There are complaints about the older version...guess they did not understand that when American contractors drink coffee they use insulated steel mugs and not little traditional sized coffee cups.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #50

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
That sounds like a 426 and, with the bronze colored tank, you’re probably close with that date estimate. The model number of Coleman stoves is usually stamped on the outside, lower left front - three digits possibly followed by a letter. The mfr date of the tank should be stamped on the bottom. Should you ever decide to pass it along, let me know. If things work out, we’ll be visiting up your way next Spring/Summer.
That sounds like exactly the way I’d be most comfortable getting rid of it. If you get in touch when you’re on your way through, it’s yours.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #51

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Our most frequently used coffee maker is the old standby percolator that we use either outside on our camp stove, or inside on the Scamp stove depending on weather. We normally place a basket style paper filter in the basket to ease coffee ground cleanup.

We also carry an Aeropress, which is easy to clean, but takes two brew cycles to make enough coffee to fill our large thermal cups, so we don't use that as often. I was surprised to find there are so many different ways to use an Aeropress!

The backup to those two, and the one we often take on trips without our camper to visit the kids (three out of four don't have coffee makers) is a pour over Melitta ready set Joe single cup system that is placed over your cup and coffee is poured through.

We do have two French Press machines, one glass, and the other stainless steel thermal/unbreakable which we like, but if boondocking it seems they are harder to clean the coffee grounds out of. We don't normally take them camping with us.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
That sounds like exactly the way I’d be most comfortable getting rid of it. If you get in touch when you’re on your way through, it’s yours.

PM sent, I’ll bring the coffee - Al
Old 12-10-2018, 02:34 AM   #53

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
We also carry an Aeropress, which is easy to clean, but takes two brew cycles to make enough coffee to fill our large thermal cups, so we don't use that as often. I was surprised to find there are so many different ways to use an Aeropress!
I use the 'inverted method', and use double the coffee, press it into one cup, then split that concentrate between our two cups, adn top both off with the remaining hot water, voila! two large thermal mugs of excellent coffee.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:22 AM   #54

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I use the 'inverted method', and use double the coffee, press it into one cup, then split that concentrate between our two cups, adn top both off with the remaining hot water, voila! two large thermal mugs of excellent coffee.
I previously stated that I found the Aeropress “messy.” Honestly, if I were drinking the amount of coffee which many people consume, I probably would not perceive it as messy. First, the Aeropress does make excellent coffee. But the reality is that I alone drink at least three 12 oz. cups every morning. To support my “addiction” would require a minimum of 2 or 3 cycles with the Aeropress. Regardless of how well it ejects used coffee grounds, the Aeropress’ components still should be rinsed after each use. And when I’m ready for the 2nd or 3rd cup, all I have to do is pour, I don’t have to grind additional beans, boil water again, or do another equipment rinse. The filter basket and SS carafe on my drip coffee maker require only one rinse and unless I am being sloppy, not even a single coffee ground remains on the filter basket after it is dumped into the trash. So while I cannot fault the excellent coffee produced by an Aeropress, it is simply to “messy” or maybe I should say inconvenient/cumbersome for my use. However, if someone were to offer me a cup of Aeropress produced coffee, I would gladly accept, but if offered Keurig or Mr. Coffee, that might be a different story!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
You drank the Kool-Aid!

I have tried inverted a few times, and even did taste comparison tests a couple times with others tasting too, and we found no difference at all in taste.

I use a good 40 gm of ground beans every time, fill the plunger with boiling water which instantly cools to a good extraction temp, pour a bit in to let the freshly roasted and ground beans bloom for a bit, then stir in the rest of the plunger worth of water, restir in about 30 seconds, then press about 30 seconds after that. The "juice" makes two 10 oz cups of coffee for us.

While camping, it is common to do anywhere from 2 to 10 presses. I have done it so much over the last 10+ years that is is a smooth relaxing process, and mention above with using a good quality manual grinder it is real easy to find someone to do that part if I wish.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #56

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
....but if offered Keurig or Mr. Coffee, that might be a different story!
I will accept a cup from a Keurig if offered and I was wanting a coffee. Not near as fresh and bright tasting as a cup of fresh roasted and ground coffee, but still drinkable. Same with a Mr Coffee from their standard cheap electric pot, but I know someone with one of their espresso makers and it makes a decent Americano.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #57

Montana
There's a Keurig at my office, so I have some packets in my desk in case I'm desperate or someone stops by and wants coffee. But I've found when I'm desperate...I'd rather leave the office and go grab a good cup of coffee than use the Keurig. My thoughts, anyway.

I use the inverted Aeropress method. Never did a comparison it's just the way I learned, makes great coffee so I never looked back.

My Mom was in town for Thanksgiving and of course we weren't in a camper, but I made us each two cups of coffee every morning, so 4 times I ground fresh beans in my hand grinder and worked the Aeropress. Depending on what else you have going on and what other quality coffee making options you have at your disposal, I could see it being a pain that's not worth it. On a typical day I only have two cups of coffee, so Aeropress or pour-over and hand grinding beans twice isn't a big deal.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #58

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I will accept a cup from a Keurig if offered and I was wanting a coffee. Not near as fresh and bright tasting as a cup of fresh roasted and ground coffee, but still drinkable.
Jim, I hope that your willingness to drink “inferior” coffee doesn’t mean you would also down an Old Milwaukee or a Lonestar....... even in a pinch! 😝
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #59

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
WORK!!! Come on Man, you need to get your priority's straight lol.
Gotta pay for my Boler addiction somehow. Lol
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #60

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
Gotta pay for my Boler addiction somehow. Lol
And what an addiction that is. You've done a fantastic job on all the mods you have done with your Boler. Beautiful trailer.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote