Coffee Cups/Makers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Coffee Cups/Makers

I've noticed some pretty nifty coffee makers/cups at some of the rallies. I'm looking to upgrade from my old stovetop aluminum percolator. Does anyone have any suggestions that I might check out? Thanks in advance!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
If I have hookups I often just use a four-cup automatic drip. If I do not have hookups I just use the simple Melita filter cone pour-over, one cup at a time. Both require filters, but require no extra water for cleaning. K.I.S.S. principle.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Hi Steve, I'm Steve with the 17' Boler at the SAFE meet. We got ours at costco last summer. I believe its supposed to be for iced coffee. It has 2 carafes with a filter that screws onto the lid. I'll see if I can find a brand name or link to the item.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #4

Registry
Thanks Steve. I had sent you a personal message earlier. I'd appreciate any info you can find.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
If I have hookups I often just use a four-cup automatic drip. If I do not have hookups I just use the simple Melita filter cone pour-over, one cup at a time. Both require filters, but require no extra water for cleaning. K.I.S.S. principle.
Thanks for the response Lyle. I've carted around my 4 cup electric and an aluminum stovetop percolator in all my ex trailers. We recently bought a Bonair Oxygen and one of the downfalls with it is a pronounced lack of storage. I'm making a few mods to help rectify the situation but I'd still like to consider a new system.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have used an AeroPress for over 10 years now and love it. Know lots of other folks now using it and enjoying it too. Lots of great methods though for making coffee, even with a peculator and proper brewing method.

Personally, one thing I would never do is rely on a machine that uses electricity. For starters there are very few that do a proper job. With good solar and batteries it is possible, just not needed for a good cup 'o Joe.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #7

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Looked on amazon.ca and found one just like it. Takeya Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker, 1-Quart, Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00FFLY64U/..._UnvcCbR1ZYF1X
Old 12-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
Looked on amazon.ca and found one just like it. Takeya Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker, 1-Quart, Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00FFLY64U/..._UnvcCbR1ZYF1X
Thank you Steve. Your system looked to be one of the front runners after you showed it to me at the SAFE rally. Even though it is "cold brew" how do you use it for hot coffee? It hasn't melted yet?
Old 12-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have used an AeroPress for over 10 years now and love it. Know lots of other folks now using it and enjoying it too. Lots of great methods though for making coffee, even with a peculator and proper brewing method.

Personally, one thing I would never do is rely on a machine that uses electricity. For starters there are very few that do a proper job. With good solar and batteries it is possible, just not needed for a good cup 'o Joe.
Jim what is involved with the AeroPress? Is it easy to clean and maintain?
Old 12-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #10

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
There are a lot of options, and even though this question has come up a lot before with lots of responses, it's clear by the fact that no one so far has said: "this topic comes up all the time, do a search", that we really enjoy talking about it.

My two favorites:

-Aeropress makes great coffee. I don't prefer hot liquids in plastic, so though I use one when I'm at someone's house with one, I don't own one.

-I use a ceramic pour-over cone, and though it takes a little time to get consistent coffee down, it makes really good coffee.

French press is decent coffee.

Just please don't go k-cup. Most wasteful innovation in (crappy) coffee ever.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We never have hookups, so it's always pour-over for us. It's arguably the best cup of coffee, especially with freshly ground beans. Call me weird, but I love watching the beans swell and the mixture froth as I slo-o-owly pour...

We make it directly into insulated mugs, so it stays hot a long time on a cold morning. We heat the water in our now-retired percolator (minus the guts). It stores more compactly than a kettle, and it's easier to control the pour. Hot water is available for tea and cocoa for the kids. Heats water for washing, too.

One cup at a time is best for us because I like mine much stronger than my wife, and we generally don't rise at the same time anyway.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We use an old (193-) perculator without the insides to heat water then the more modern GSI
Old 12-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #13

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
I'm a big fan of the Aeropress:
Nice and compact for storage, especially when combined with the Porlex Mini grinder that fits partway inside.
Lightweight but sturdy. I don't have to worry about it bouncing around in the cabinets when we're driving down the road.
Really easy to disassemble and clean. Just 4 parts including the filter. After making coffee you just pop the "puck" of grounds out and then rinse it. I also use the Able DISK reusable metal filter, so no need to carry around the disposable ones, but a small stack of disposables lasts a long time.
I can heat the water up with propane when boondocking, no need for electricity.
It's pretty forgiving. I had a hard time getting everything just right with a moka pot, and kept making terrible coffee. It seemed like the beans, grounds, initial water temperature, etc all had to be exactly right or the end result was gross. Aeropress I might make it a bit stronger or weaker, but the end result was drinkable unless I forgot a step entirely.

Downsides:
Definitely more work than the Keurigs.
Requires a separate kettle or pot or something to heat the water in.
Only makes 1, maybe 2 cups of coffee at a time (fine for me, I only want 1)
Makes coffee that's sort of halfway between normal drip and espresso or french press. I actually like this style, but anyone who hates the thick, borderline-gritty coffee will probably have to use the disposable filters and double up on them.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #14

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
If you prefer espresso, the "Minipresso" and "Nanopresso" hand pump machines may be worth looking at. Very compact and sturdy. They're normally not too bad to clean, but there's a lot of internal bits that aren't supposed to ever get anything but very hot water in them that I don't think are accessible to clean if you mess up and get grounds in there somehow. So, not quite as forgiving as the Aeropress where the whole thing can be easily pulled apart and cleaned.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #15

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Thank you Steve. Your system looked to be one of the front runners after you showed it to me at the SAFE rally. Even though it is "cold brew" how do you use it for hot coffee? It hasn't melted yet?
Sorry for the long breaks between answers. I'm at work and answering on my breaks.
I put coffee grounds in the filter and screw it to the lid. Pour hot water in the carafe, put the lid on and wait about 5 mins. Then you can remove the filter or pour the coffee into the second carafe.
It all seems to hold up well against boiling hot water.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
I'm a big fan of the Aeropress:
Sometimes I wish the lineup of friends and family at my trailer in the morning would think this way, but it just ain't so. My brother actually doctored up a Timmies sign to say "Jim Horton's" At least I have no problem getting someone to grind while I press. If you use good beans it is super easy to get a good cup. This is all I do at home too.

I know a dozen folks myself that use the AeroPress and love it too.

BTW, dumping the Porlex for my Orphan Espresso Lido 3 was one of the best things I have done for making coffee. While the Porlex did a decent grind it took quite a while and was not ergonomically friendly, while the ease of using the Lido 3 is actually enjoyable.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
As Mr. Bennett stated, few electric makers produce good coffee. The primary reason is because they fail to heat the water to a temperature for proper extraction. Those that do are expensive (Bonavita, Oxo On Barista) or very expensive (MoccaMaster). Of these, the BonaVita has the smallest footprint. I personally do not like the Aeropress (I find it”messy”) and often have hookups so I have and really like the Bonavita. With dual 6 volt batteries and solar, I finally installed an inverter with a dedicated outlet so that I can use the Bonavita drip maker anywhere. That being said, I do have a 6-cup stainless steel percolator from Cabela’s as a contingency as well as a single cup pour over (no coffee = emergency!). Even so, neither the percolator nor the pour over can produce coffee of the same quality as the BonaVita. At home, I use a MoccaMaster but it is definitely not compact.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #18

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
I have an aero press and agree that it makes great coffee.

But I'm not that much into great coffee, I just want a decent cup of hot caffeine that can wake me up. So, I am the slime ball heathen that uses a keurig. It is just easier while camping, and while camping easier wins out often times.

It helps that we live in an area where there are tons of good camping areas with hookups. We have not yet spent a night in our trailer without electricity, at least.

As for cups, I am typically a big fan of something that will warm my hands. But, I was given a Yeti mug and I really like it. It works well for coffee, wine, beer, whiskey and water. The whiskey and water do not have to be together.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #19

Name: Dan
Trailer: scamp 19
Illinois
I use a moka pot that makes about 10 oz of coffee (just enough for me). I't forces the water from the bottom reservoir, through the grounds and then into the top reservoir. The water is passed though the coffee grounds only once unlike a percolator. The directions say to fill the coffee basket up to the top, this makes very strong espresso like coffee. I don't care for that so I only put two spoons in and get the strength that I like.

BOGDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
Sorry for the long breaks between answers. I'm at work and answering on my breaks.
I put coffee grounds in the filter and screw it to the lid. Pour hot water in the carafe, put the lid on and wait about 5 mins. Then you can remove the filter or pour the coffee into the second carafe.
It all seems to hold up well against boiling hot water.
WORK!!! Come on Man, you need to get your priority's straight lol.