Colorado Fires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Colorado Fires

Just checking on my fellow Coloradoians. I know we have a lot of glass owners in the Ft Collins, Colorado Springs and Boulder areas. Stay Safe! For the Ft Collins, Boulder area glass owners, if you need a place to park your egg, I got 2 acres on the west side of Greeley. Your more than welcome to park it here.

Honestly,couldn't name all the other towns affected by fire this summer in CO, but I hope your safe as well. The three fires above are the serious ones. But I am sure if you live in one of the many other areas that are currently burning I am sure it's no picnic! Stay safe.

And please check in with us!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #2

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Burn baby Burn! I was camped off of Pingree Park road when the High Park fire broke out. It was very impressive to watch how fast it moved. Driving back down the canyon Saturday night was a little scary. The entire skyline on the south side of the road was lit up with fire, and it was snowing ash. I had thought I closed the windows in the camper, but alas one was open and it took my days to get the smokey smell out.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I just spent five days up by Walden. And yep, it's so dry up there too, all it will take is a spark.
Between the fires and the pine borer beetle, they just can't get a break.
My heart goes out to all those effected by the fires.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Footage from space, ISS
Western U.S. Wildfires Seen From Space | Video | Space.com
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I like Robin hope everyone is safe. We had a really bad summer of wild fires here in BC about 8 years ago. At one point there where way to many forest fires burning at once and not enough manpower or air power to stop them - in one fire over 230 homes where lost in minutes ...... *Really* hope thats not replayed in Colorado and no one here is impacted by the fires to that extent.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I THINK I heard that over 300 homes in Colorado Springs have been lost. Can anyone confirm that? The Air Force Academy has been evacuated. Hope there's something left of Colorado in August. We're planning on the fiberglass rally at Camp Hale.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
We had a really bad summer of wild fires here in BC about 8 years ago. At one point there where way to many forest fires burning at once and not enough manpower or air power to stop them - in one fire over 230 homes where lost in minutes ...... *Really* hope thats not replayed in Colorado and no one here is impacted by the fires to that extent.
Went thru this same thing in Montana 2003, not a fun experience! But certainly not as bad due to the fact that the 2 biggest fires were in GNP where they have a let it burn policy! a policy which I disagree with! But at one point due to lightening strikes we had 40 spot fires going all around us with the 2 major fires burning in GNP. The biggest (Roberts Fire was on the west side) Then another fire on the east side. Due to Montanas open spaces we certainly didn't have the destruction of property as CO is seeing this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I THINK I heard that over 300 homes in Colorado Springs have been lost. Can anyone confirm that? .

As of last night there were 349? with one confirmed death. 10 possible missing. (haven't even had the news on today, crazy busy day) But my MIL was telling me that something flashed about a second person that was suppoes to be with the person who died. She wasn't sure if they were found safe or dead. Got to wait for the new's or jump on Fb to see if any of my family has posted anything.

The High Park fire outside of Ft Collins has burned more acres but less than 300 homes........... The Fire in Estes Park was quick and destructive, 29 homes and out buildings and was out within 24 hrs....... The burnt homes and out buildings went within minutes of the fire starting. I will see if I can post a link to fire info......... There is already a fire just out side of leadville..... But west of. Then there are a least 8 to 10 other fires going here....
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
KOAA.com has an up to date section on the fire. Live web cams from surrounding areas are at KOAA.com/cameras.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
[COLOR=red]Went thru this same thing in Montana 2003, not a fun experience! But certainly not as bad due to the fact that the 2 biggest fires were in GNP where they have a let it burn policy! a policy which I disagree with! ]
Yup they let some of ours burn as well, they claim that is natures way ... I suspect thought that sometimes it is just because they do't have the man power or money to fight them all.

2003 was one of our worst years in BC with over 2,500 fires and over 265,000 hectares of forest lost along with at least 320 total homes lost and a number of businesses. An average fire season in BC is 2,000 fires, burning 66,783 hectares. I sure hope Colorado does not loss as much forest as we did in 03... not nice.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #10

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I THINK I heard that over 300 homes in Colorado Springs have been lost. Can anyone confirm that? The Air Force Academy has been evacuated. Hope there's something left of Colorado in August. We're planning on the fiberglass rally at Camp Hale.
At last count it was 346 homes burned by the Waldo Canyon fire at Colorado Springs. Some housing areas at the AF Academy were evacuated but not the whole place. The High Park fire near Ft. Collins took out over 250 homes. High Park is now the second largest fire in acreage burned in Colorado history and the Waldo Canyon fire has destroyed the most homes of any fire in Colorado history. Not the kind of records we need to hear of.

There's nothing burning near Camp Hale. I should be around there tomorrow and will check the area. I think the only problem we will have is maybe a ban on campfires. Currently there is an absolute ban on campfires, bbq grills, outdoor smoking and just about anything that makes a spark or flame.

At our ham radio field day site last weekend (Chief Hosa camping area) park rangers were around every few hours to make sure we didn't start any fires. Smokers had to light up in their cars.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote