Combat the Heatwave? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Combat the Heatwave?

Hello! After traveling from FL to TX to WY back to FL in 6 weeks experiencing over 111 degree temps and varying elevations which none would have been cool enough to sleep comfortably without A/C I was wondering if e'body did their usual amount of summer camping? Did the heatwave curtail any trips or change your destinations? Did anybody decide to add A/C because of the heatwave or did you just suffer through it? I think in WY and SD sleeping may have been achieved after midnight but only till the sun rose as even they were having really high humidity levels. Talk about freak weather this year between 50 yr floods and scorching temps. I just hope our hurricane season doesnt decide to follow in the nation's footsteps and go berzerk.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Hurricanes

We're unfortunately probably due for a hurricane. It's been almost 3 years since a hurricane has made land fall in the USA. The longest interval since the mid 1800's.

From a really old man with a memory (and the Internet)

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
As I say now that I'm back in Indiana, "It's the humidity not the heat".
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Boy you aint kiddin!! After a month in WY where they were having higher than normal humidity but still far less than FL when I stepped out of the van in MO I couldnt believe how muggy it was and knew it was only gonna get worse the farther South I went. There were folks tent camping and I just dont see how they could sleep. A Yamaha 1000 Generator is now on my wish list so I wont need hookups next year just to run the window unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
As I say now that I'm back in Indiana, "It's the humidity not the heat".
Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
No way would I have a trailer without A/C. I only have vacation time in summer, and summers get hot. I want to be comfy wherever I go. But no, I don't let the heat stop me... I just plan trips to cooler places!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
After living in the desert the last few years, we arrived back in the Ohio valley just in time for some of the hottest and highest humidity ever. A heat index 118 is not good. Did I mention that I miss Texas?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Haven't been any where since coming back from SD in June. We just can't stand the heat. Terry R.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
heatwave? we hardly feel like we've even gotten into summer weather here in the maritimes..the weather has been incredibly wet and cooler than normal....i'd welcome some of the heat no one else wants! please!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I can't get the darn forward button to work to send the heat up to you.

Bill K
Toledo, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
heatwave? we hardly feel like we've even gotten into summer weather here in the maritimes..the weather has been incredibly wet and cooler than normal....i'd welcome some of the heat no one else wants! please!!!
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #10

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
We keep looking for higher elevations, but even those are hot. It's put a real dent in both camping and kayaking.

Hoping that Mile High Campground above Cherokee, NC in Sept. lives up to it's reputation...the owner said I might need gloves in the evening and early ayems. Maybe a sweatshirt, too. And, hot schockolatte.

Too bad we can't rig up fans and tubes to ship some of this hot air elsewhere, eh?

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I am in Colorado right now at around 8000ft.

It is GLORIOUS!!!!!

Was so cold last night I had to throw a down comforter on.

Coming across Kansas to get here it was 109 in Colby Monday night.

Once on the Western Slope I have not rolled my truck windows up yet.

I love Co.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #12

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
2 weekends ago I was in the Virginia Beach area. It was 101 on the Friday when I arrived at the First Landing State Park campground. The air conditioning in Rucio amounts to....opening the windows. I did have a fan along, thankfully.

A 5am bike ride around the park was pleasant, and boy was it nice to cool off in the chesapeake bay after that. From there I headed down to Sandbridge and was able to park in the shade of the deck of the house my family was renting. Still....hot.

I'm looking forward to my Newfoundland trip at the start of September. Cool drizzly north atlantic weather sounds pretty great right now.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Was in WY and Montana last week with the temp in the 90's. No problem sleeping with only a Fantastic Fan as it seemed to cool off fairly fast most nights. Only problem with the heat was keeping the Fridge cool enough while dry camping and running it on propane - suspect the elevation I was at some nights and the heat where not a great combo for the propane.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:15 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Heat?!@#$ I have to echo theresa p. We here in New Brunswick haven't had much of a summer; cool and wet. I was able to get away to Cape Cod for a few days with highs around 80 and lows in the 60's; perfect. I was in Dallas for a week this spring (80's) but have no idea how my friends function at all with 110 degree temps. I don't have A/C in my Trillium so I have to wait until the fall to head south. Right now I'm trying to chase the heat. How about sharing some? We'll happily borrow 10-15 degrees from those who can spare it.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:44 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: theresap...Here's how we took care of the heat wave. Spent 4 days in a full shade site on the Saugeen river about 15km's from Lake Huron near Pt. Elgin Ont. No need to stay home and cut the grass...it's burnt off.
It may still be warm by mid Sept. for Niagara Wine Escape. The grapes should be good and ripe too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
aaah!!!.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote