Comfortable Bed And A Comfortable Chair? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Comfortable Bed And A Comfortable Chair?

We are unsure when we will be able to get out of our house so it is like I need to decide but still wait which isn't much fun. We have a pop-up (we learned that was fun when we were young but..........) so I was going through my thoughts of what I don't like about it. I don't like the mattress which is one of those thin heated ones and I am not sure there is enough room to put a better mattress in its place and the other issue is that even if I replace the foam in the gaucho, it will still not be comfortable so I was thinking I needed a comfortable bed although in some photos, it looks like the dinette beds dip in the middle, so I don't if a mattress would totally solve the problem. So, who has these in their trailers and did you have to replace what was there to start out with. Sometimes I wonder if it isn't better to get used and just make the mods to meet one's individual needs/desires. I love spending time outside so the small quarters should not be a problem. Also, outside chairs, I have been looking for something that isn't too heavy to lug but is comfortable and stable. It is challenging to be getting older. That old "You're not getting older, you're just getting better.", I hope so!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Cathy your profile shows No trailer Yet so not sure what trailer you have or are considering and have the concerns regarding the bed and the middle section where the table is dipped in the middle.

I have a 21 year Scamp and the table doesn't dip in the middle when down (although the photo may suggest it does its just I didnt tuck in the top covers into the sides as well as I could have) . I have recovered the original foam which was in great shape due to light usage and was wrapped in plastic under the covers at the factory originally so no mold or stains. I tend to leave the bed down and made up as I dont often eating inside. I added a memory foam topper which I cut to size and put it over the original cushions. Made a slip on cover out of flat sheets for the memory foam so it can simple be rolled up and stored away if the table is needed. I also put a fitted quilted mattress cover over the foam and the cushions and then use regular sheets over that and add lots of pillows, Very comfortable.

Chairs are a personal thing as to which is best. I lot has to do with how much room you want to give up for storage. Have had a few types, some that have lasted longer than others and some that are lighter than others. Currently have a pair of Director style chairs I picked up at Costco a few years ago (look like the ones in the photo link) and they are pretty light and so far have stood up to a few hundred days of use. Lots of different makes of director's chairs out there - some weigh more than others. Although the director style chairs dont pack up as small as the chair in the bag style, the ones I have fit in the bathroom of the trailer when folded up for travel and they have so far out lasted any of the chair in the bag type I had previously.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0026.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #3

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Have heard good things about those zero gravity chairs for those of us getting more mature!! Might be worth checking them out - I will be.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jan good point! I would love to have a zero gravity over sized recliner!! need to buy a bigger trailer to fit it in though... hummm maybe thats the best excuse I have yet for the need to upgrade trailer size
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have a Cabela's recliner (folds, not too light) and after I took it with me for the first time I would never leave it home again. Though I wish I had one with a side-table attached to the chair (anyone know if they make one?) to minimize other furniture needed.

For mattress- if you turn your dinette into permanent sleeping, and don't take it apart daily, you can put a pretty nice mattress in. If you need the seating space during the day, though, you are more limited.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I found the cushions supplied with my Escape 17B were great for sitting, but too hard for comfortable sleeping. Since I travel solo, I decided to make the rear 4 person dinette a permanent bed.

Although a custom mattress is possible, I have an additional problem. Because of acid reflux I need to sleep with my head 5" - 6" above my feet. A couple of bricks under the feet at the head of the bed works at home, but I needed something different for the trailer. I suppose I could just tilt the trailer, but the refrigerator wouldn't be happy! Since both storage & much of the utilities are under the seats of the rear dinette, I also needed access to them.

The solution was to use a 2" folding gym mat as the base, a tapered memory foam topper (6" to 1") from Walmart & a stiffer 2" good quality topper over that. Some photos of the set up are on my Trailer Modifications page.

As to chairs, I have a beach chair with awning that I got from Ace Hardware for around $50.00. They don't seem to carry it any more - this is what it looks like. It is handy to carry because the canopy forms a cover when folded & has back packing straps built in.

I also have a West Marine boat chair that I use in place of the front dinette cushions on the side I usually sit at. Very comfortable, and it probably could be used a picnic tables, etc.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks everyone! I am looking at all the fiberglass eggs as possibilities, more or less. Would like to, at a minimum snowbird in 3 years or less. We have an adult son with DS and he has entered a good day program and hopefully will enter residential in the next couple of years. Then, I have two 60 lb. dogs, seniors. I told my husband of 30 years, he needs to get his own little trailer for a list of reasons that would wear out my fingers!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
There's no "dip" in a folddown dinette bed so long as the tabletop is flush with the benches when down- and also of course not warped.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We too find the mattress a little firm for comfort, especially my wife who tends to sleep on her side, hips don't get much cushion form stock foam. So we are looking at a memory foam topper. We leave dinette always set up as a bed.

Two other options if you are going to leave dinette always set up as a bed. I saw a regular mattress custom made to fit, was in three sections but all connected across the top sleeping surface. Allowed flipping ends up to get into seat storage. Some futon stores can make custom mattresses I used this in a prior camper and it was pretty comfortable and resonable in price.

On chairs we use two director chairs picked up at Costco, I like them because the legs are long enough that I'm not sitting with knees higher than hips. These have the flip out table. Table does seem a little flimsy.

We also have a zero gravity chair from Dunhams sports. Heavy duty (rated for around 250 lbs) this one has a slide out table.

The bag chairs tend to give me a backache in my lower back from the seat being too low which puts my knees higher than my hips.

Our three chairs travel flat on the floor sitting on a throw rug, some people do not like to have "loose" gear like that but I figure it can't fall if it's already on the floor. They are heavier than some chair options but since our tow weight is well within limits the weight of the chairs is not really an issue.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Jon,

Just went to westmarine.com and noticed that the high back go anywhere boat seat is on sale for 99.99. did you get the high back model or the regular go anywhere 2 model? The Go Anywhere 2 cost 89.99 now.

Also, you remove the trailer cushion when using this? Seems people with the Scamp side dinette might like to give these a try as well as people doing a front dinette in our tiny 13s.

Thanks, Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Of course it is now only $99.00 since I already bought it! I did get the high back version & had a $20.00 off coupon. I leave the cushions on the driver's side, but get rid of those on the passenger side where I sit. I do plan to add a cover to the plywood seat that the chair will sit on. I do think the boat chair would work well in the Scamp & some of the Casitas. No idea how long the lower price will last.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #12

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We have a Trillium - one man, one woman and two tiny dogs. Most of the time the dinette is set up as a bed (it is MINE!). We use a slab of memory foam over the regular cushions for comfort reasons. Hubby sleeps on the gaucho with another bit of memory foam. I sewed flannel sheets that the memory foam slips inside (like an oversized pillow case). When we got hit by a blizzard we took the memory foam and rolled it so we could more comfortably sit inside.

We use Strongback chairs that we bought at Walmart I think - or Canadian tire. They are quite good and not as heavy or costly as the zero gravity ones. I'm still dreaming of one of those.

It is such a good idea to start thinking and asking questions before actually buying. There are probably quite a few things that you haven't even thought about yet! This is a great and friendly site - with some experienced and helpful members. Don't be shy - no question is too stoooopid!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Following is a reply to another bedding request I posted some time ago...

We had the same concerns for our 2011 13' Scamp. The seating cushions turned out to be so uncomfortable (like sleeping on a table) we finally splurged and purchased a 2" memory foam topper from Target for about $30. I cut the foam to the exact size of the bed then cut it into two long strips each 22 1/2" wide by 76" long. One cushion is a rectangle and the other has two curves to match the inside of the Scamp. I covered each memory foam piece with 100% cotton knit (think T-shirt soft) as if it were a cushion, with a zipper on the end. Now we have the softest, cushiest, mattress pad! We sleep right on the pad and on top of us we place one or more comforters depending on the temperature. In warmer weather we sleep between the two comforters; one on top and one on the bottom. This method eliminates the need for sheets. We wash the mattress cover and comforters (as needed) after each trip.

As for storage; each 1/2 mattress cover rolls into a cylinder about 22 1/2" wide by 10" high (each one is about the size of one sleeping bag). We secure the roll with luggage straps and store the rolls under the dinette bench (see photo). The bigger question is where to store the comforters! I have several solutions. #1) For when I leave the bed set up for the day. (see photo) Fold the comforter in half (mine are about 90" wide by 76" long) so they are 45" wide by 76" long. When folded this way they fit flat on top of the bed when it is set up and looks like a neatly made-up bed. #2) Fold the comforter in half and place over the dinette cushions (no photo). Put one comforter over each dinette chair and tuck in over the top, at the seat back and over the cushion front. This way the comforters add a decorative touch to the seats without requiring more storage space. #3 More recently, I roll the comforters over a cylinder (ask for an empty fabric roll from a fabric store) a little over 45" wide (2-3" diameter) and secure the roll with luggage straps (see photo). I place the roll resting between the dinette chairs spanning the leg space under the table (no photo). This way the comforters are out of the way and ready to use at a moment's notice without using precious cargo space!

I'd also like to share another bedding tip (see photos). You can see in my photos that I have two medium-weight comforters with two different designs. Depending on my decorating mood I put one or the other design on top. A big issue for my husband and me is the shifting of covers in the night. We each have different preferences for covers AND the covers tend to shift and fall off during the night. We ruled out sleeping bags or zippers connecting the comforters as being too confining and hot. The solution we came up with is to connect the comforters with loop and button connectors. It is easy for me to unbutton one comforter layer while my husband sleeps blissfully with two comforters!
Happy Camping,
Gilda
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 025.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 026.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #14

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Here are some close-ups of the comforters.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 031.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 032.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 030.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 027.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #15

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Far and away the best folding chairs we've ever had (and there were MANY) are Strongback. Both my wife and I have had broken backs. The Strongbacks have lumbar support and we have sat comfortably all evening long. Only our recliners at home compare. Check the Strongback website for a short video and pricing. They're a bit heavier than the Walmart specials and a lot more expensive but definitely worth it. Took us years of throwing money away on others before we found these.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote