Coming Home - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Coming Home

Ginny and I have had a marvelous time in our little Florida Park Model. We recognize that it's just right for our 'distant' future life, a perfect amount of space for us and the occasional visitor. At the same time it's been great for parties.

Yesterday we took our Scamp out of the storage area in our Escapee park and moved it to the front lawn of our lot. We began by giving it a thorough wash and setting it up for the road. Both Ginny and I felt so good being in our little rig.

We were a little concerned because since we first brought it to NH the fridge has almost always been powered, never left off for months. We plugged it in and the fridge hummed to life, 38 F this morning.

We have been busy for two days spiffing it up and generally feeling good about it all, a good buddy has come home ready to carry us on our way.

We made the rare reservation for Myrtle Beach state park so we can visit Ginny's sister for a few days before we head north to sell our home. Life seems to be going well though it's hard to know what's happening inside.

Just want to let you know where happy to get back to Scamping, our tiny bed and our minimalist travel life style.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
To tell the truth, when I began read your saga a year ago, I was wondering why you do not sell your NH house and move to Florida. I see now you made a right decision. Congratulations!
Old 04-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #3

Florida
Sergey,

We've considered selling our house for the last 5 years but the economy partially dettered us. I think Ginny was also concerned about missing family and secondarily not having a 'home' for when we can no longer RV.

It interests me that a week visit provides more intense contact with friends and relatives than a whole year of living nearby.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Norm,
What do you mean when you say though it's hard to know what's happening inside.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Yeah, what's up with that "inside" stuff? Got some symptoms? Or just being philosophical?

You seem to identify the Scamp as "home" nowadays. Neat!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
You know we watch you like a hawk, anything out of the norm for norm is seen right away....
Old 04-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #7

Florida
'On the inside'

Jim,

I've recognized for a couple of decades that we're in the window... Statistically our days are limited but generally we treat it with a happiness. We've had such a wonderful time for the last 14 years, not that there was anything wrong with the previous 43 (I count time from when Ginny and I first met).

Our RV life had been absolutely wonderful. Of course I want to life forever but....
Recognizing I won't live forever, I intend to have as much fun as possible until the end.

I feel physically well, We had a great year, fixing up our little place, inviting at least 100 people to our little home, creating a getting to know you environment, swimming in the pool, exploring the area and running our kitchen.... a really good winter.

Now we're ready for our Scamp, going to NH to sell our house, another divorce from our past, looking forward to a new and lighter future with less 'things responsibilities'.

Today we mused over what paintings we might take. Ginny still surprises me with her choices..always some surprise aspect of my sixteen year old girl friend to be discovered.

Jim and Mike,

It's nice to know you're paying attention. I do have a checkup schedule with my favorite NC doctor..just my yearly exam.

Florida was marvelous today. It reached 85, the water in the pool was 89, the shuttle is low on the western horizon tonight and Ginny made chicken and dumplings.

Rest well my friends.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
You two, stay well, both of you.....
Old 04-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #9

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

..always some surprise aspect of my sixteen year old girl friend to be discovered.
Norm, you're such a romantic . . . Keep up the good work!
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #10

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
We all must make decisions at times that reminds us of our lives past and future however follow your heart and keep your back to the wind.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #11

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
Norm and Ginny, you folks are at celebrity status in the RV world! As I wait for my Scamp to come in May I've followed you on the forum enthusiastically! I think the most significant thing I've learned from you is the benefits of Escapees. Only two days after hearing about it I'm already a member. For us older RV'rs it looks like an excellent organization. Thanks to you and best of luck in your travels and retirement.
Bill
CharleyWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #12

Florida
Definitely a romantic...

After 14 years on the road and some 3000 nights we have definitely met a few people. As an Escapee we have met a lot of people like us and I know all RVers are not like us. Many people would and do have trouble leaping into the full time lifestyle.

In some measure it requires a romantic, a romantic on multiple levels.

As to the wind, I happen to be a person who does not naturally keep his back to the wind. Fortunately Ginny comes from a family that consciously keeps their backs to the wind, maybe it's from their Irish heritage. In life I tend to head into the fray. As I've wandered thru life, facing the wind and taking chances many thought foolish, Ginny has always supported me. This is comforting when entering a life battle.

After many years of marriage one day Ginny explained it all to me. She said that by the time we were 27 she had everything she wanted in life, a husband that loved her, two healthy children, and a home. It sounds so simple, but after she had those basic items, things, stuff were way down the list. A home was an ethereal place, not necessarily big or impressive but a place for a loving family maybe that's why the Scamp works.

I say this with honor for Ginny and because I don't see it in all couples. Ginny loves our sons, our grand children and soon our first great grand child, her sisters and brother are very important in her life and the reason selling our home has been difficult, Ginny puts them all aside for me. I am number one. I see plenty of people that can't go on the road because of their children and grand children or their stuff, stuff they can't give up or leave for extended periods.

For us it's all about each other, nothing else really matters. Our first small trailer leaked like a sieve. Never once were their complaints. There is magic in Ginny. I'm not amazed by much but Ginny amazes me. She is really good but like many, if not most good people, she does not realize how good she is. Her entire family is that way..I swear it's genetic.

One of her sisters had a husband who left her. I approached him to discuss his reasons for leaving, he told me she's 'a goody two shoes', just too damn good.... How does one handle that jaw dropping statement?

Being a romantic, seeking adventure together, loving the important makes life on the road easy.

More wandering thoughts, thoughts that allow the road to be fun

Safe travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #13

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
To expand on Norm and Ginny's life developments -- I'm 66 and DH is 70. How this happened I'm not sure, but slowly it dawns on one that life won't continue forever. My sister-in-law's uncle just passed in his mid 90s and he was able to stay in his home 'til the end because he was in a senior mobile home community with an incredibly strong sense of community among residents.

I've been checking out Park Model "RVs" and they look very appealing.
Also, I just googled Escapees + senior RVers and came up with this very interesting article that might be of interest to some older full time RVers:

Senior RVers Find Help, Home at ‘Escapees Care'

Faced with the usual options for senior housing and elder care, some older adults are inventing their own grass-roots versions — do-it-yourself senior living that’s friendlier, more autonomous and less expensive.

Below is a story that ran in the New York Times about Escapees Care, an assisted living facility for RVers run in conjunction with the Escapees RV Club in Livingston, Texas.

Quote:
In Livingston, Texas, a 140-acre RV park called Rainbow’s End serves as the national headquarters of the Escapees Club, the largest association of RV enthusiasts. Next door sits a smaller park with 33 lots: Escapees Care, the country’s only assisted living facility for seniors in RVs. It is, in many respects, the end of the road....

..For $824 a month per person, or $1,236 a couple, residents at Escapees Care have access to the Care Center, where registered nurses are on call 40 hours a week. They take regular blood pressure readings, clean and dress wounds, help residents with their medications and schedule doctors’ appointments. The monthly payment also covers laundry, transportation and three meals a day in the Care Center’s dining room.
The center offers adult day care for those with dementia and a weekly support group for those with low vision.
full text of article here.

For those that follow the economist Scott Burns, some of his recent columns have covered Resident Owned Communities:
Quote:
These are communities where the residents vote to create a cooperative and buy the land in their park rather than rent it. Today the manufactured homes and shares sell together, and most units are resident-owned. (To become resident-owned, at least 70 percent of the residents must take part and buy their shares.)
Full text of that column here.

DH still works part time and he's happy in our house, but I could see us perhaps at some point strongly considering this as an option. For example, in the last year, I got pretty clear on why people live in communities where there is no yard maintenance and the appeal of lock and leave. We'll never end up living in a gated community, but I can see how something like a Resident Owned Community could meet that need at a much, much lower cost, which leaves more time and money to travel!
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Norm, I couldn't agree more about "stuff". I love the Tiny House movement and look forward to retirement when we can hit the road and become full-timers! I envisioned doing so for "a couple years", but your posts have helped me see it as being much longer.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #15

Florida
[QUOTE=June Bug;513680]To expand on Norm and Ginny's life developments -- I'm 66 and DH is 70. How this happened I'm not sure, but slowly it dawns on one that life won't continue forever. My sister-in-law's uncle just passed in his mid 90s and he was able to stay in his home 'til the end because he was in a senior mobile home community with an incredibly strong sense of community among residents.

Mo/June Bug

The Escapee's Care Center is one of the neatest parts of the Escapee Lifestyle. It's really assisted living for Escapees. You live in your rig. Escapee volunteers take care of those staying at the care center, do their laundry, provide day time services, take care of their rigs, everything from dumping to cleaning and of course all meals. People are available 24/7 to deal with problems, amazingly 1200 a month for two people. There are professionals on staff but colunteers make it all possible. If you visit Livingston, be sure to take a tour of the Care center.

Though my home Escapee park, the FL SKP resort, there are a number of older members who need support and the membership makes sure their needs are met.

The community of a campground approaches that of good relatives.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #16

Florida
Darnelle,

In retrospect I am amazed how stuff can take over one's life. One of our friends collects Christmas dolls, she has dozens among even more Christmas decorations. Downsizing is just not possible for her (and him).

We used to have a big house, where annually we hosted the family Christmas and Thanksgiving parties, they wee great fun. It's not in the cards now though we have hosted 20 in our park model.

It turns out that the Florida room 11x40, heated or air conditioned can easily host 20 fun loving adults though we had to rush out the Restore for enough coffee cups and a tea pot.

We were never intentionally accumulators of stuff though we had enough books for a small library. Now we sit here wondering about selling and handing off stuff. Though it will be work, it's like a final exam, happy when it's done. Our goal is not to maximize income but rather to relieve our selves from having to be concerned about it.

As to small houses, I follow the Tiny House thread. I love the concept. We once had a 32 foot diameter Geodesic dome where I started our electronic drum company. For all practical purposes it was a stationary fiberglass trailer. It was white and plywood covered with fiberglass. It had 800 square feet on the first flor with a partial second floor. It heated easily with a small wood stove. I always thought it would make a perfect small house for two.

It only took us a few days to erect it and was a blast to put up.

So many adventures, over our lives we built 6 different domes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16