Comments on Buying FGRV's with 3rd party titles - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Michigan title will have the "Secured Interest" or Lien holder listed on the title. Or the phrase No Secured Interest on Record.

I'm still looking for a VIN on mine but seller was known to me and had a title, Sec. of State was no problem.

When I was very young (and foolish I might add) I bought a car from a used car lot. Had some sort of explanation why title was not in his or the business name. Think it really boiled down to avoiding taxes and considering the stuff that was done to make the car seem road worthy probably wanted to avoid giving me proof I bought it from him.

I would be very skeptical purchasing with no title but it is possible to get a salvage title or apply for a new title with a bill of sale. You are taking the chance that you were not dealing with real the owner (it is stolen) or there is a lien.

I did purchase without a title for a really old trailer I bought out of a hunting camp for parts. Did not know the seller but we did have a friend in common and I knew where he lived.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
When buying from a dealer in many states the buyer will never see the prior registration or title. In CA dealers routinely buy, take in trades, and resell vehicles with only the previous owners signed off title in hand. That's normal practice.

But they are also required to process that registration for the buyer and collect sales tax for the state in exchange for that privilege. All the buyer has to do is drive off with a temp registration stuck on the windshield and go home and wait for the papers to arrive. As CA usually keeps the same plate on vehicles when selling ()except custom plates of course) there isn't much else to do.

But, as already demonstrated, each of the 50 states has different rules..

Old 03-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Here you can order a Car Fax and that will show you what provinces the car or trailer had previously been registered and in what city the insurance & registration fees were purchased each year prior.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #18

California
CarFax in the U.S. is dependent on what each state reports. I have gotten carfax reports with pages of information and some with almost none on 20 y.o. vehicles. It's a sort of a crap shoot what you will get.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
As for registration.... it is only required here if the vehicle is to be driven (or towed in the case of a trailer) on public roadways.

I have never given anything more than an open title and a bill of sale when selling a vehicle or a trailer. I remove and keep the registration (if registered) before the sale. The buyer then orders his own, usually at the same time as ordering his title.
This is probably what trips up newcomers to California. California wants to see an unbroken audit trail that the annual vehicle tax/license fee has been paid to them. If you decide that you will not transport your vehicle/trailer on the public roadway, then you pay a reduced "non-operation" fee (currently $10 per year) to keep the registration/title current for that year. Once you decide to resume transport you need to re-register and pay the full amount of the tax owed. If there is no record of the vehicle being placed in "non-operation" status and there is a gap of time since the vehicle was last registered as operational, then the full total of all the missing years plus a penalty fee is assessed.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #20

California
Just to clarify, when you take a vehicle out of non-op status in CA you pay only the current years registration fees. But, as mentioned, woe to the person that has an RV or other vehicle in his yard for 5 years without a non-op. I learned about that the hard way and I'm not exactly new to CA.

The good news, I think that 5 years is the max, and it doesn't apply to non-registered vehicles brought into the state, as long as you can prove how you got it here without it ever being on the road. (I had receipts for my rented U-Haul trailer)
Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
This is probably what trips up newcomers to California. California wants to see an unbroken audit trail that the annual vehicle tax/license fee has been paid to them. If you decide that you will not transport your vehicle/trailer on the public roadway, then you pay a reduced "non-operation" fee (currently $10 per year) to keep the registration/title current for that year. Once you decide to resume transport you need to re-register and pay the full amount of the tax owed. If there is no record of the vehicle being placed in "non-operation" status and there is a gap of time since the vehicle was last registered as operational, then the full total of all the missing years plus a penalty fee is assessed.
WOW!
I've had unfinished cars in my shop for years while being built or waiting to be built, be darned if I'm gonna pay a "non-operation" fee.
It truly grieves me to consider what tyranny my "Fellow Americans" will tolerate. After a while it starts to sound like Stockholm Syndrome!
IknowIknow... never argue with a small minded Kleptocrat in a position of power, but there's just a little too much Don Quixote in me not to resist.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #22

California
Actually one of the benefits of this law is that it cleared thousands of junker cars out of driveways, side yards and back yards and sent them to the junk yard because back penalties outstripped value.

Sure, it's great if Joe next door wants to save every car he has ever owned to "Fix-Up" someday, but as a neighbor, it's often little more than an eyesore that drags property values down etc.

But there is an exemption process for vehicles under restoration. But I doubt if $10 a year per vehicle is a make or break deal for anyone.

BTW: I believe that it was a California native (Patty Hurst) that popularized the term Stockholm Syndrome in the U.S.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #23

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Think of it this way. You store a car in a yard somewhere and you pay a monthly fee, even though you aren't using it.
In this case, the government is storing your information so it can be easily activated in the future.
The alternative is to raise your taxes.
One way or the other.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #24

California
Good Point Glen
I once bought a 1974 VW Thing in CA that hadn't been registered in 4 years, but was in non-op status. Took all of 10 minutes to register and title it in my name.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #25

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Actually one of the benefits of this law is that it cleared thousands of junker cars out of driveways, side yards and back yards and sent them to the junk yard because back penalties outstripped value.

Sure, it's great if Joe next door wants to save every car he has ever owned to "Fix-Up" someday, but as a neighbor, it's often little more than an eyesore that drags property values down etc.

But there is an exemption process for vehicles under restoration. But I doubt if $10 a year per vehicle is a make or break deal for anyone.

BTW: I believe that it was a California native (Patty Hurst) that popularized the term Stockholm Syndrome in the U.S.
Which $10 is $10 too far?
You'll have to drive all day and search every alley to find more than a couple of unregistered cars in my entire county without such a law. One reason is $300 per ton for scrap steel.
If you see one of my project vehicles, you are either invited or trespassing.

BTW... there are plenty of duly registered unsightly vehicles parked on the street in every neighborhood, The license plates just ain't big enough to hide them or make them beautiful!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #26

California
When that law was enacted about 20 years ago scrap wasn't anywhere near todays level. But, by making reregistration so expensive, it made it more attractive to scrap.

They were targeting scofflaws and junquers, seems to have worked fairly well.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #27

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
When that law was enacted about 20 years ago scrap wasn't anywhere near todays level. But, by making reregistration so expensive, it made it more attractive to scrap.

They were targeting scofflaws and junquers, seems to have worked fairly well.
Word.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #28

California
Getting back on topic....

No matter what a seller might claim they were told by the local DMV either yesterday or 5 years ago about titles, , transfers and registration, always verify hearsay information yourself before any money changes hands.

In California, if a CHP officer stops you for not having a license plate, she isn't going to be interested 1/10th of 1% in what the seller told you. And, if the seller happens to be in another state, drop that interest to 1/100 of 1%

Tags
title