Comments on Buying FGRV's with 3rd party titles - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
This is probably what trips up newcomers to California. California wants to see an unbroken audit trail that the annual vehicle tax/license fee has been paid to them. If you decide that you will not transport your vehicle/trailer on the public roadway, then you pay a reduced "non-operation" fee (currently $10 per year) to keep the registration/title current for that year. Once you decide to resume transport you need to re-register and pay the full amount of the tax owed. If there is no record of the vehicle being placed in "non-operation" status and there is a gap of time since the vehicle was last registered as operational, then the full total of all the missing years plus a penalty fee is assessed.
WOW!
I've had unfinished cars in my shop for years while being built or waiting to be built, be darned if I'm gonna pay a "non-operation" fee.
It truly grieves me to consider what tyranny my "Fellow Americans" will tolerate. After a while it starts to sound like Stockholm Syndrome!
IknowIknow... never argue with a small minded Kleptocrat in a position of power, but there's just a little too much Don Quixote in me not to resist.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Actually one of the benefits of this law is that it cleared thousands of junker cars out of driveways, side yards and back yards and sent them to the junk yard because back penalties outstripped value.

Sure, it's great if Joe next door wants to save every car he has ever owned to "Fix-Up" someday, but as a neighbor, it's often little more than an eyesore that drags property values down etc.

But there is an exemption process for vehicles under restoration. But I doubt if $10 a year per vehicle is a make or break deal for anyone.

BTW: I believe that it was a California native (Patty Hurst) that popularized the term Stockholm Syndrome in the U.S.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Think of it this way. You store a car in a yard somewhere and you pay a monthly fee, even though you aren't using it.
In this case, the government is storing your information so it can be easily activated in the future.
The alternative is to raise your taxes.
One way or the other.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #24

Good Point Glen
I once bought a 1974 VW Thing in CA that hadn't been registered in 4 years, but was in non-op status. Took all of 10 minutes to register and title it in my name.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Actually one of the benefits of this law is that it cleared thousands of junker cars out of driveways, side yards and back yards and sent them to the junk yard because back penalties outstripped value.

Sure, it's great if Joe next door wants to save every car he has ever owned to "Fix-Up" someday, but as a neighbor, it's often little more than an eyesore that drags property values down etc.

But there is an exemption process for vehicles under restoration. But I doubt if $10 a year per vehicle is a make or break deal for anyone.

BTW: I believe that it was a California native (Patty Hurst) that popularized the term Stockholm Syndrome in the U.S.
Which $10 is $10 too far?
You'll have to drive all day and search every alley to find more than a couple of unregistered cars in my entire county without such a law. One reason is $300 per ton for scrap steel.
If you see one of my project vehicles, you are either invited or trespassing.

BTW... there are plenty of duly registered unsightly vehicles parked on the street in every neighborhood, The license plates just ain't big enough to hide them or make them beautiful!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #26

When that law was enacted about 20 years ago scrap wasn't anywhere near todays level. But, by making reregistration so expensive, it made it more attractive to scrap.

They were targeting scofflaws and junquers, seems to have worked fairly well.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
When that law was enacted about 20 years ago scrap wasn't anywhere near todays level. But, by making reregistration so expensive, it made it more attractive to scrap.

They were targeting scofflaws and junquers, seems to have worked fairly well.
Word.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #28

Getting back on topic....

No matter what a seller might claim they were told by the local DMV either yesterday or 5 years ago about titles, , transfers and registration, always verify hearsay information yourself before any money changes hands.

In California, if a CHP officer stops you for not having a license plate, she isn't going to be interested 1/10th of 1% in what the seller told you. And, if the seller happens to be in another state, drop that interest to 1/100 of 1%

Old 03-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #29

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
You are absolutely right, Bob.
Everyone is responsible to Do Their Own Homework.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
good advice applies to trailer too

"In many trailer purchases, the seller tells the buyer that the trailer is homemade, when in fact it is a stolen "

" Buyers may wish consider conducting the transaction at the local tax office as they will have all the necessary paperwork and notaries to complete the transaction."

Task force makes arrest for alleged car title scam - Your Houston News: News
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title