Compact and Hunter history - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 AM   #15

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
....but does anyone know more of the history of these campers?

Old 10-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #16

Name: Ken
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Compact Jr. width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I had a Compact Junior that I rebuilt. The previous owner had gutted it out to make a cargo trailer out of it.
My Compact Juniors was narrow, only 66" (5'6") wide. It did not need extended mirrors. Most of the intact Juniors I have seen were simple:
Sink with hand pump. 3-burner cook-top. Maybe an optional heater below the cook-top.
Ice-Box. Closet & Drawer storage.
One easy way to tell a Compact Junior from a Compact II is that the raised roof is the full length of the trailer in the Junior and only over the back half in the II.
Hello, (new member/first post!), I'm in the market for a Hunter Compact or Trails West Campster. I like everything about their design, but I would like to tow without extended mirrors. In the Document center, both the Compact Jr. & II, and the Campster show 6'6" (78") wide.

Were the earliest Jr's (yours a 1971, at 66" wide) a foot narrower? Does anyone know what year they got wider? I'm hoping to find something no wider than 68" Thanks... this site is GREAT!

Old 10-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #17

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCat53 View Post
In the Document center, both the Compact Jr. & II, and the Campster show 6'6" (78") wide.

Were the earliest Jr's (yours a 1971, at 66" wide) a foot narrower?
I have a correction to make. I have totally striped everything off my Compact Jr. in preparation for fiberglass repairs to the body and then painting.
The 5' 6" measurement I gave before is the width of the plywood floor.

My 1971 Compact Jr. measurements

Total length from hitch coupler to back bumper____13' 0"
Body length at "equator" (longest part of body)___ 9'10"
Body length at floor______________________________ 9' 7"
Body width at "equator" (widest part of body)_____ 6' 0"
Body width at bed/bunk (bottom of mattress)_______ 5' 9"
Body width at floor_______________________________ 5' 6"
Floor width between wheel wells___________________ 3' 6"
Ceiling height w/ roof closed_____________________ 5' 4"
Old 10-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #18

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Ken
I own a Jr and do not need mirrors with my PT Cruiser. I believe the Compact Jr's were made for only 3 years 1971, 1972, and 1973. Because of their short manufacturing life there are not to many to choose from, but they are posted for sale from time to time. Just keep looking. By the way they are great to work on and if you find one in fair shape it does not take to much to get it in camping condition. Just check the frame were the body and A frame meet. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
WOW, that scared me, I thought that I had shrunk when it was asked if the Hunter was only 66" wide. As Fred mentioned, they are all the same width at the bed surface, about 72".

I tow ours with either a Honda CR-V or a GMC Sonoma pick-up, both without using extra mirrors, but your PT Cruiser might be a bit narrower.

I bought mine in the S.F. bay area, where it had been a project for about 7 years and was, basically, gutted, for about $1600. Here are some current "after" pics.

Hunter Compact II pictures by advocateone - Photobucket

We will be at the Lake Casitas meet at the end of the month if you want a look-see..
Old 10-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #20

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I tow my campster with the regular mirrors that came on my Forester (2000, then 2012.) No problem with visibility. I also leave the curtains open in front and at the back door so I can see things like headlights through the trailer.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #21

California
Thanks! Okay, a Compact Jr./Campster would work then... yes, IF I can find one. I just looked up ALL the widths (including mirrors, I believe)...
'04 PT Cruiser: 67.1"
(New) CRV: 71.6"
'00-'02 Forrester:68.3 in
My TV: 71.7" (although from where the mirrors start the width is only 64", which is what I was going on before.)

I was looking at the Lite House/Little Joe option, too, since they are even narrower than the Compact Jr.'s. I like the rear doors and large queen beds in ALL of these. But I'm 5'11", so the Compact with the pop-top give 76" height, and the Little Joe (and probably the Lite House) give only 72", so only 1" of clearance vs. 5", giving the Compact the edge, at least for MY dimensions.

Fredrick, what an amazing project you've got going! And I'm in SoCal, so maybe I can make Lake Castia, just to meet up and see them. Anyway, thanks all for the help, for someone just getting started.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #22

Name: Susan
Trailer: Looking around!
Washington
My current fantasy FGRVs

My husband is just starting to show interest in my interest in getting a FBRV. In the past (25 yrs ago) we had a little '61 King stickie and then a Coleman popup for quite a few years. Nothing for the past 7 or so. I've been looking at the Hunter/Compact Jr/Compact II/ TrailsWest Campster. We think it would fit us vs a side door FGRV. We need room for two adults and our Great Dane so these models are on my list. I tried contacting a sale some what near to us recently but could never get the seller to contact me back.

Questions, if you don't mind answering:
1.The dinette on these makes into a queen bed doesn't it? And then 6
ft long from side window to side window. When made up into the dinette what are the cushion sizes (and/or what is the floor space under the table)
2. Could you please give me the floor dimensions from the end of the
table to the entrance door and the floor width. We need to see if
there is dog room. Or room to pull up a chair if person one and the dog go to bed earlier than person two.
3. Grey water tank only on the Compact II and Hunter?
4. Any models come with an oven?
5. Screened window on door for ventilation? Curtains only located at windows or all around the sleeping area?
6.Where's the heater located? I shouldn't worry, just curious since we
have the dog as a heater.
7. Are all closet and drawers functional and not just decorative (you
know, the kind that are just the drawer face glued on so it matches
the rest of them)

Thanks! If anyone wants to just sneak one onto my driveway, you're welcome to!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #23

California
I am guessing you are asking me the questions about the Hunter(s). I will try my best to answer by the number:
1. There are two different bed sizes. One is queen width and is found in trailers that do not have the closet next to the galley and a bathroom or bunk beds. Basically, if the galley ends where the dinette starts it has the wider bed. If there is a closet next to the galley it is a double size bed. Mine has the closet and the bathroom, so it is the smaller, yet more than ample, double size bed. I put my original cushion set up for sale a few months back, I trhink the ad with all the dimensions is still in the for sale section of the site.

There were 2-3 for sale in the Portland/Vancouver area earlier this year, as well as two super custom versions in Spokane and one fixer over in Wenatchee. So they are around and are a lot easier to find that an early 15' Amerigo..... (Look in Walla Walla for that one)

2. My Hunter is at out our other house, I won't be able to measure it until Sunday, but squeezing in a chair any bigger than a camping stool could be crowded. If you look at my pics you can see that we resdeigned the entire dinette/bed area to use a modified (shortened) IKEA futon mattress that folds in half. That way a dinette for two can stay in place while there is still room for one in the bed.
3. There is no gray water tank in any that I am aware of. There is a small black tank under the toilet in those with a bathroom
4. I have only seen a cooktop as original, but I have seen several with a full stove built in by a later owner. We use a camp oven on top of a burner for baking, works great and folds up when not being used. A regular oven is always taking up scarce cupboard space
5. There were screens and flexible windows in the pop-up and screens on the sliding side windows. There is also a screen on the door window.
6. I don'tr believe many were equipped with heaters originally. I installed mine below the sink.
7. As storage space is always at a premium, all doors and drawers are functional

Good luck in your search
Old 10-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #24

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post Compact Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
1.The dinette on these makes into a queen bed doesn't it? And then 6
ft long from side window to side window. When made up into the dinette what are the cushion sizes (and/or what is the floor space under the table)
2. Could you please give me the floor dimensions from the end of the
table to the entrance door and the floor width. We need to see if
there is dog room. Or room to pull up a chair if person one and the dog go to bed earlier than person two.
3. Grey water tank only on the Compact II and Hunter?
4. Any models come with an oven?
5. Screened window on door for ventilation? Curtains only located at windows or all around the sleeping area?
6.Where's the heater located? I shouldn't worry, just curious since we
have the dog as a heater.
7. Are all closet and drawers functional and not just decorative (you
know, the kind that are just the drawer face glued on so it matches
the rest of them)
Compact Jr.
  1. My Seat Cushions measure 75" x 22" each and the Back cushions measure 75" x 12" each. My total Bed Size is 75" x 68" and the floor space is 75" x 24". I have observed that this is almost identical to the Little Joe/Lite House. (Little Joe's are longer, 80" vs. 75") I plan to buy Little Joe fiberglass benches for my Compact Jr. remodel.
  2. The "Kitchen" (space NOT taken up by the bed) floor space is 24" x 36"
  3. No Gray Water tank.
  4. Yes, it was an option. You got either a 3-burner cook-top or a 3-burner range with oven.
  5. Yes, there is a "Double-Hung" window in the door with a full length screen. All curtains only covered the windows.
  6. The heater was located under the cook-top/range. There is a square vertical "bump-out" in the sloping side to provide a flat surface for the furnace vent.
  7. Yes, all cabinet doors and drawers were functional.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #25

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
We need room for two adults and our Great Dane so these models are on my list.
Welcome to FGRV Susan.

You may want to consider a Trillium 4500. The rear bed is about the size of a double and with a slight reversible modification to the front bunk there should be ample room for your Great Dane.

With that mod, our 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks are quite comfortable. I am assuming the people and dogs sleep separately. Alternatively the same mod should work for 1 person + dog in the rear and 1 person up front.

The mod is a simple one. The upper bunk has a narrow and wide portion on a hinge. The narrow portion keeps the couch at a comfortable angle with the bunk down and makes for a wider bunk when up. All you have to do is take the upper bunk down, remove the middle hinge from the wide side and attach the narrow side back up using the hinge. Dogs and people have ample room to sleep and the narrow piece acts as a back rest for sitting comfortably.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #26

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I don't think the Compact/Campster type is very good for two people plus a large dog. The reason is that there isn't a lot of floor space, so getting past each other in the "hall" is a trick. Under table/bed space is two feet wide, but low, my corgis fit okay, but usually they are up on the bed to keep them out of the way. (They like looking out the windows.) Just my opinion. For two I'd want something with more floor space. (Bed space is great in these trailers, though.)
Old 10-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #27

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
1. There are two different bed sizes. One is queen width and is found in trailers that do not have the closet next to the galley and a bathroom or bunk beds. Basically, if the galley ends where the dinette starts it has the wider bed. If there is a closet next to the galley it is a double size bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Compact Jr.
1. My Seat Cushions measure 75" x 22" each and the Back cushions measure 75" x 12" each. My total Bed Size is 75" x 68" and the floor space is 75" x 24". I have observed that this is almost identical to the Little Joe/Lite House. (Little Joe's are longer, 80" vs. 75") I plan to buy Little Joe fiberglass benches for my Compact Jr. remodel.
Good to know, that the Compacts have two bed sizes. And the Little Joe beds are longer! And in the Document Center here, for the Trails West Campster says a 72" x 76" bed, so that means the Jr.'s and the Campsters (which probably means the Havasu as well), have practically a King bed... amazing!I'm soaking this all up, while I look.

No big dog here, Susan, but two cats! And they like to sleep on the queen bed at home, so I'm thinking that will have to be my minimum bed size.

If anyone's interested, there is a Compact II on Craigslist with two awnings, a real fridge, the marine toilet etc., in the Phoenix area, that I was looking at. But Bob's clarification, and looking at the pix, I now see the bed as a full/double, and it may also weight too much for my TV, with all those extras. So I have now ruled that one out. From the pix I see some wallpaper peeling near the sink, but the outside looks clean, if anyone is interested...

" Rare, Vintage (Very Cool) 1973 Hunter Compact II travel trailer "
(Oh, they've been posting on different Craigslist from Fort Worth to Palm Springs, with prices from $5200 to $3800.)
Old 10-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #28

California
I'll post the weight of my C-II after the Lake Casitas event. It will, not doubt, be about as heavy as they get.