Compact and Hunter history - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #29

Name: Randy & Sandy
Trailer: Compact Jr
Michigan
Registry
Welcome to FGRV Susan!
We have been working on our Compact Jr. and will soon find out if camping with our 2 Great Danes is a possibility! If your Dane sleeps with you on the bed there is plenty of room for that! We plan on using the 2 twin beds (benches) and giving the dogs the floor space for sleeping. Daytime will be outside because like it was stated earlier the "hall" is too narrow to pass each other. We have camped once without our puppies so far with this trailer and found one person has to sit in order for the other to walk through. Our female is scheduled for surgery Monday so it will be a couple of weeks before we hope to take both of them camping with us.
Randy

Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #30

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Arizona
So I bought that little Hunter Compact in Phoenix. I am hoping it is not too heavy for my Honda Element, which is rated to tow only 1500#. The previous owner used a Toyota Tercel to tow it. It's at the rv doctor right now. I plan on taking it to a CAT scale and getting a true weight before I tow it very far.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #31

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Arizona
I have 2 greyhounds by the way. I'll report back on how they fit.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #32

Name: Susan
Trailer: Looking around!
Washington
Thanks for all the dimensions, comments, etc re: Compact II/Jrs/Campsters/etc. We'd like to do this without buying yet again another vehicle or putting $$ into my 200,000 mile plus Frontier Crew Cab. (traded in my FJ Cruiser for a Rav4 last year, silly me) And thanks Randy for the Great Dane talk. When I get home from work this evening I'll do my ol" layout the layout on my kitchen floor so I know how much room we are talking about. Our Great Dane will be 3 on Halloween and is more than content to sleep the day away. She sleeps with us in our queen sized bed and naps with us on the couch.

I'm just thinking it is more important for us to get a good night's sleep than except on a windy stormy rainy day, have room to pass each other in the galley. I could be wrong... And for my wish list of putting a chair in the galley, as long as I could get a temporary kitchen chair sized chair in the 24x36" space the long way I'd be happy.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #33

Name: Ken
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Brown View Post
Ken
I own a Jr and do not need mirrors with my PT Cruiser. I believe the Compact Jr's were made for only 3 years 1971, 1972, and 1973. Because of their short manufacturing life there are not to many to choose from, but they are posted for sale from time to time. Just keep looking. By the way they are great to work on and if you find one in fair shape it does not take to much to get it in camping condition. Just check the frame were the body and A frame meet. Good luck.
I'm going to look at a Havasu tomorrow (10/16). Thanks for that tip, Rick, and this one DOES need interior work, but I like that idea. With regard to things to look for, I've been reading so much here this past week, and I think there was a page with a general checklist when inspecting a older FG trailer, which I didn't bookmark... and now I can't find it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, could you post the link to that here? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #34

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCat53 View Post
... and now I can't find it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, could you post the link to that here? Thanks.
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List

After you click on the link above, you'll find under the word "Download" in Black Type on the Mustard Yellow background there will be a white arrow pointing down with a blue highlight. Click on that.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #35

Name: Ken
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Awesome! Also, thanks for the CA PTI thread, as the previous owner was turned down for that, and now I have ammunition, to try again. The Havasu is way under 16' and it's certainly a camp trailer. You also wrote elsewhere that these didn't even HAVE VIN numbers back in 1971 in CA, which was also extremely helpful to know. (This one DOES have the Serial number plate and Astro manufacturer's plate, so I'm going to take a run at the DMV for PTI, if I buy it.

One question on the checklist. I'm not sure what to look for re: the pop-rivets. They connect the top and bottom halves, correct? Can you see them?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #36

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCat53 View Post
One question on the checklist. I'm not sure what to look for re: the pop-rivets. They connect the top and bottom halves, correct? Can you see them?

The Buyer's Checklist tries to put all inspection items on one document, but not all line items apply to all trailer manufacturers.
I don't recall this type of trailer ever using pop-rivets. My compact Jr. certainly did not. A Havasu is more like a Compact II or Campster than it is like a Compact Jr. though. The top and bottom halves would be fiberglassed together and not use pop-rivets of screws.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #37

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1974 Hunter Compact II
Virginia
Hi, guys! New to the forum... I just bought a 1974 Hunter Compact II (I've been an owner for about two weeks now), and found the original marketing brochure in the drawer. I figured some of you might be interested in seeing the scans. I'm sure I'll have questions to post here as I start exploring my new purchase!

--Bill

Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #38

Name: Rick and Heather
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior 1972...Cosmic Yellow
Washington
Registry
Bill. Thank you so much for the brochure scans on the Compact. We've had or 1972 Compact Junior for exactly a year, including 24 over night stays. Just added a grey tank and finished refurbishing the interior. Thanks again. Been looking for any original written material I could find.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #39

Virginia
My pleasure, Rick; that little find was an unexpected bonus (I bought the camper on eBay). The original bill of sale detailing the selected options was also in the drawer. It's curious that Hunter Structures seems to have just vanished. I'd really like to know who owns the mold... I really think there would be a market for these things if they were to be manufactured today. I just read an article in USA Today about how ancillary fees are on the rise throughout the travel industry — which, coupled with gas prices, make a Compact II vacation all the more appealing! My cousin and I are working on installing a battery/inverter/solar panel system for non-electric campsites... but I've already gotten a lot of ideas for future mods from this website. I'd never thought of a porch light before, but now I consider it a must have!

I also have hi-rez .png scans (300 dpi) of the brochure... each page is about 10 mb, so if your inbox can handle files that size, and you'd like them... send me your email address and I'll be happy to send them to you.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #40

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Welcome Aboard Bill,
I also got a set of two different brochures with my Hunter when I bought it from it's 2nd owner. The other brochure is B&W and not as interesting.
Sorry you're so far away. we will be at the Lake Casitas event next week and could share a lot with you.
Here is a link to pics of ours:
Hunter Compact II pictures by advocateone - Photobucket

Ask lots of questions and you will get a lot of answers.
BTW: I used to live in Springfield, VA, where are you located and was yours the one on eBay recently?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #41

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hi Bill! We have a copy of the brochure in the Document Center: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Compact

Yours looks to be in a lot better shape. I'm going to send you a PM with my e-mail address. If you can send me a hi-res scan of the brochure, I can separate it into individual pages into one PDF and get it uploaded. Your version looks to be in better shape than the current version we have.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #42

Virginia
Hi, Bob. We've actually communicated before... back in March. You bought the "project" Compact II that I was trying to buy from Pete... he didn't trust that I could arrange for shipping! I bought a heavily modified Compact, Jr. in Kentucky shortly after that... but I was never really happy with it. I sold it (at a slight profit) on eBay the day before I went to pick up my Compact II. Yes, it was the one that was on eBay in late August... up in New Hampshire. I THINK that providing this link will allow you access to my album on Facebook even if we're not "friends:"

1974 Hunter Compact II | Facebook

I paid a premium for it, but I'm okay with it... it's got absolutely everything I wanted (including the color scheme), with the exception of an oven. No biggie. The interior is completely original and in truly amazing shape (as you can see from the pictures), and the RV dealership that sold it to me had made some great mods, including a brand new flush toilet (STILL unused, LOL!), a new 3-way 'fridge, new plumbing, and a few electrical system tweaks, including one that lets all of the 12v accessories work when plugged into 110/120. So, all in all, I'm pleased.

I actually live very close to Springfield... I'm in Fairfax, the Mt. Vernon area... about four miles north of Fort Belvoir, about 10 miles south of Old Town Alexandria.

First question: The dealership up in NH used a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant to really give the fiberglass, particularly the red half, an amazing luster. I've ordered some of this stuff, myself. Should I also consider a coat of wax after the 303 application? If so, is there a particular wax you would recommend?

Donna... I got your PM... I'll email the .png files shortly. Yes, the brochure is in amazing shape for having sat in a drawer IN THE CAMPER for 30 years! That's why I scanned it and immediately put it away!