Compact and Hunter history - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #41

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Bill! We have a copy of the brochure in the Document Center: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Compact

Yours looks to be in a lot better shape. I'm going to send you a PM with my e-mail address. If you can send me a hi-res scan of the brochure, I can separate it into individual pages into one PDF and get it uploaded. Your version looks to be in better shape than the current version we have.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #42

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1974 Hunter Compact II
Virginia
Hi, Bob. We've actually communicated before... back in March. You bought the "project" Compact II that I was trying to buy from Pete... he didn't trust that I could arrange for shipping! I bought a heavily modified Compact, Jr. in Kentucky shortly after that... but I was never really happy with it. I sold it (at a slight profit) on eBay the day before I went to pick up my Compact II. Yes, it was the one that was on eBay in late August... up in New Hampshire. I THINK that providing this link will allow you access to my album on Facebook even if we're not "friends:"

1974 Hunter Compact II | Facebook

I paid a premium for it, but I'm okay with it... it's got absolutely everything I wanted (including the color scheme), with the exception of an oven. No biggie. The interior is completely original and in truly amazing shape (as you can see from the pictures), and the RV dealership that sold it to me had made some great mods, including a brand new flush toilet (STILL unused, LOL!), a new 3-way 'fridge, new plumbing, and a few electrical system tweaks, including one that lets all of the 12v accessories work when plugged into 110/120. So, all in all, I'm pleased.

I actually live very close to Springfield... I'm in Fairfax, the Mt. Vernon area... about four miles north of Fort Belvoir, about 10 miles south of Old Town Alexandria.

First question: The dealership up in NH used a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant to really give the fiberglass, particularly the red half, an amazing luster. I've ordered some of this stuff, myself. Should I also consider a coat of wax after the 303 application? If so, is there a particular wax you would recommend?

Donna... I got your PM... I'll email the .png files shortly. Yes, the brochure is in amazing shape for having sat in a drawer IN THE CAMPER for 30 years! That's why I scanned it and immediately put it away!
billgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #43

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Good to hear from you again and happy to hear that you got the Hunter you wanted. That one is, basically, a polar opposite from the one I bought that you were also trying to get. In Mine/Petes, although it had excellent bones, almost everything had to be touched.

I don't now about the 303 product you mentioned. I had to do a repaint over an existing repaint so I never even got to see the original surfaces, much less try to polish them.

But that one is simply beautiful.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #44

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Arizona
Thanks for all the good info everyone, especially the brochures. I took my Compact to a CAT scan before towing home. It weighs 1520. I'd be interested in hearing what you all use as tow vehicles? 1520# is over my Honda Element's weight limit of 1500#.
'
cmalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #45

Name: Rick and Heather
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior 1972...Cosmic Yellow
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgordon View Post
My pleasure, Rick; that little find was an unexpected bonus (I bought the camper on eBay). The original bill of sale detailing the selected options was also in the drawer. It's curious that Hunter Structures seems to have just vanished. I'd really like to know who owns the mold... I really think there would be a market for these things if they were to be manufactured today. I just read an article in USA Today about how ancillary fees are on the rise throughout the travel industry — which, coupled with gas prices, make a Compact II vacation all the more appealing! My cousin and I are working on installing a battery/inverter/solar panel system for non-electric campsites... but I've already gotten a lot of ideas for future mods from this website. I'd never thought of a porch light before, but now I consider it a must have!

I also have hi-rez .png scans (300 dpi) of the brochure... each page is about 10 mb, so if your inbox can handle files that size, and you'd like them... send me your email address and I'll be happy to send them to you.
Hey Bill,
A porch light was one of my very first modifications. We put an LED bulb behind the amber lens. The amber is a nice color for the campsite. We put it to the left of the door, as you look at it. Amber Lens on Amazon. It was only $8. We liked the outdoor/waterproof led bulbs on inside and ouside, because their light was a little warmer than the regular bayonet bulbs. Led bulbs. Our other favorite mods were the car stereo, mounted (enclosure) under the front shelf and the 9 gal. grey water tank up front. Welcome to the club. Glad you're here. Rick and Heather
Rick S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #46

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalla View Post
I took my Compact to a CAT scan before towing home. It weighs 1520. I'd be interested in hearing what you all use as tow vehicles? 1520# is over my Honda Element's weight limit of 1500#. '
There are lots of small tow options out there these days. I know a number of people here are happy towing with a Subaru Forester which I believe has a tow cap of 2400 lbs - but I think the trailer needs brakes on it if over 1000bs?.

The 2013 Ford Escape 1.6L & 2.0L can tow 2000lbs but if you have the ford towing package on a 2.0L it jumps to 3500lbs capacity - dont know what if any requirements for brakes on the trailer are with Ford best to check their website.

If you want to stick to a Honda crossover type vehicle you may need to jump up to a Pilot to get more than 1500lb tow cap.

The Toyota RAV4 with a V6 has a 3500lbs tow cap -another pretty popular tow vehicle here - again not sure what the trailer brake requirements might be.

If you have deep pockets several peoples dream small tow vehicle is the VW Touareg, it will give you up to 7,700lbs of tow cap. which would cover you should you decide to do a trailer upsizing in the future.

Pretty sure Mazda and Hyundai offer a few vehicles with more than 1500 lb tow caps as well.

I am sure others with pipe in with more suggestions.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #47

If the Compact weighed 1500+ lbs at purchase I would get a second weight and, if it is really that heavy, find out where all the extra weight came from. The information I have is that empty Hunter's weight should be less than 900 lbs. And. of course, you always tow with the water tank empty and leaving ones 360 lb workout weight set at home.

There are any number of TV choices out there, but remember, the higher the MPG's without a tow, the bigger the hit on MPG's when towing.
Our Honda CR-V highway MPG drops from near 30 to less than 20 when towing a 13' SCAMP.

For real towability, the Toyota FJ, @ 3500 lbs, is sweet

Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #48

Registry
From Fredericks great work Trailer Weights in the Real World

ITEM_LENGTH_MAKE_______MODEL________AXLE__TONGUE__ __TOTAL
02___13_____Hunter_____Compact Jr____800______60______860
03___13_____Hunter_____Compact Jr____980_____140_____1120
04___13_____Hunter_____Compact Jr___1200_____100_____1300
11___13_____Hunter_____Compact Jr___1540______60_____1600
12___13_____Hunter_____Compact Jr___1480_____120_____1600
15___13_____Hunter_____Compact II___1640______80_____1720
20___13_____Hunter_____Compact II___1700_____160_____1860
23___13_____Hunter_____Compact II___1900_____120_____2020

Looks like the majority of Compact's weighed loaded, including a couple of the Jrs were over the 1500 lb tow limit of both the Honda Element and CRV.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #49

I thought that I saw that dry weight of a C-II was under 900 lbs.
Just pushing around the Hunter C-II is a lot easier than pushing either a 13' SCAMP or a 13' Lil' Bigfoot. I hope I don't get a nasty surprise at weigh-in next weekend.....

Old 10-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I thought that I saw that dry weight of a C-II was under 900 lbs. Just pushing around the Hunter C-II is a lot easier than pushing either a 13' SCAMP or a 13' Lil' Bigfoot. I hope I don't get a nasty surprise at weigh-in next weekend.....
Trust me you will not be the first to be very surprised at what their trailers really weighs should it come in a lot heavier than you thought. Thats why Frederick's list is such a great thing for the forum to have. It gives people a pretty good idea as to what they can expect their trailer to weigh ready for camping before they buy it. Although you will always have those who will say oh those trailers must of been full of water or heavy stuff I would never carry.... the truth as to how much or little stuff was in some of them might surprise a few folks as well. Be surprised if many had much if any water in their tanks as most of them were weighed at a full hook up campground.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #51

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I thought that I saw that dry weight of a C-II was under 900 lbs.
It all depends on what the definition of "dry" is...
Not only does it mean the absence of:
  • Fresh Water
  • Gray Water
  • Black Water
  • Propane
...It also means the absence of optional equipment. Such as:
  • Spare Tire
  • Battery
  • Range with Oven
  • Refrigerator
  • Gray Water Tank
  • Black Water Tank
  • Toilet
  • Porta-Potty
  • Propane Bottle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
From Fredericks great work Trailer Weights in the Real World

ITEM_LENGTH_MAKE_______MODEL________AXLE__TONGUE__ __TOTAL
02___13_____Hunter_____Compact Jr____800______60______860
This trailer is MY Compact Jr. Yes it weighs less than 900 pounds. BUT I weighed it after stripping it down to begin my frame-off restoration. This is what it looked like when I weighed it:
Attached Thumbnails
000_1141.jpg   000_1142.jpg  

Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #52

Arizona
My weight included spare tire, stove top, toilet, 3way frig. I don't know if there's water in the tank. I actually don't know how to find that out. Do these trailers have a fresh water tank, a grey water and a black water tank?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #53

Usually they only have a fresh water tank. It's under the left dinette seat. If you have a bathroom with a toilet there is a small holding tank under that as well.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #54

Arizona
So where does the sink water go?

And why tow with the fresh water tank empty?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #55

Sink water usually goes out a drain port on the outside of the trailer. You attach a hose and capture it in a bucket or a 5 gallon tank. Sometimes it's permissible to0 let it run out on the ground, but not at most campgrounds.
Water in the supply tank weighs about 80 lbs when the tank is full. As the tank is well forward of the axle, most of that winds up as added hitch weight.
I oly use water from the tank for washing and the loo. I carry 1 gallon bottles of water for cooking and drinking and refill them from a known safe source.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #56

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalla View Post
And why tow with the fresh water tank empty?
As Bob mention water adds weight 8.3lbs per gallon. The more your trailer weighs the more your gas milage will be impacted. No point in paying to haul water around when it can usually be picked up close to or at the spot you are going to camp for free. Also the location of the water tanks is different on each make of trailer. Some have the tanks at the rear and having water in the tanks, can impact the stability of the trailer, especially in those cases where people are running a little light on the tongue weight of the trailer to start with.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #57

Arizona
And how do you dispose of the grey water? Can you use it to flush out the black water tank? And by the way, how do you flush out the black water tank? Also, my trailer came with an old anti-sway device. It's pretty heavy. How is that used?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #58

I take it we are still talking about a Hunter Compact-II/Jr/Campster Right?

Captured grey water is usually dumped into the deep sinks found at the CG toilets or in a gravel area designated for dumping gray water.

If the black tank is a bit cruddy I just throw in a few gallons of water, some toilet additive and a 5 lb bag of ice cubes and leave it like that while driving. Then just dump it in the usual manner. But that's only needed about once a year.

We almost ned a picture of the anti-sway device to help you with that.