Compact by Hunter abandoned on our property! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

Name: Dorian
Trailer: Compact by Hunter
Hawaii
Compact by Hunter abandoned on our property!

We have an old Compact by Hunter Fiberglass trailer/RV 1973? - abandoned on our property - a neighbor wants it (at no cost) because he knew prior owner who left it on our 3acre lot, hidden. He has offered absolutely nothing except to cut a shrub or two outside... Does this sound like a good idea - to give it away?? Hitched to the trailer still.

This dude won't even offer a free (used) Jeep motor I need right now for my Jeep- in exchange - now I KNOW that is just wrong....wrong!

I checked it out, it has been very neglected BUT it has hope - it is intact and has been weathered and moss all over it because we live big island Hawaii - where rain is constant. I have no idea what it could be worth - anyone offer any comments???

I was going to post and try to just get rid of it - but not as a free for all!
Appreciated ahead in anticipation (the comments)! (Haven't uploaded pics yet - will do soon)
RescueLove5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There are 3 different Hunter Compact's, the Compact Jr, Compact-I and Compact-II listed in approximate value for equal condition units.
Here on the mainland almost any Compact in restorable condition would bring in at least $1000 with the assumption that clear title and registration was included.
For the most parts it's all about condition, but on the Big Island you have to add in location and demand.
You might want to find out what the issues in getting clear title and license plates on it are before trying to sell it, it may not really be yours to sell until that is sorted out.
Here on the mainland no title or plates would be a deal breaker, hands down.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Sounds like it is worth exactly one used Jeep engine, provided the buyer assumes all responsibilities for removal,title etc.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #4

Hawaii
Thank you so much for the comment !!

Indeed - working on looking into the Title, yes!

The demand is unknown to me at the moment - except giving it away appeals to the one guy who actually knows it's here - other than that, I am testing the waters here (on the big island) to check out demand, and feel secure knowing there is one particularly here in the Puna district, where there is a huge hippy-gypsy-travelling-transient (yes, hippy) population in a large part of the entire district! Beyond that, I have no idea at the second who would want to have it.

It's adorable but needs major TLC!! Any idea with that, what I ought to do ?

MUCH ALOHA!!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

Hawaii

That's what I thought too - of the trade! This guy has not even offered that though, believe it or not - AND, the engine is in a Jeep in a junkyard he didn't even pay a cent for - kind of unbelievable I think...right? But indeed, I concur - he would have to do ALL the legwork and at this point, if he cannot do the trade clean and simple, no thank you.

MAHALO!
Old 06-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueLove5683 View Post

That's what I thought too - of the trade! This guy has not even offered that though, believe it or not - AND, the engine is in a Jeep in a junkyard he didn't even pay a cent for - kind of unbelievable I think...right? But indeed, I concur - he would have to do ALL the legwork and at this point, if he cannot do the trade clean and simple, no thank you.

MAHALO!
I believe in most instances items left on private property for a certain amount of time belong to the owner of the property which would put you in the position to get what you want for it. We just bought a compact jr in calafornia in very poor condition basically just a shell for $600 oo
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #7

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
I would let it rot away before I gave to the guy that wants it for free. He is just trying to screw you. Even if you got only $100.00 it's a better deal then he's offering. The jeep engine or nothing.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Some people are always looking for a bargain.
Not to be unfair to a stranger but it may be that he has the wherewithal to bring the rig back to life and know what it might be worth after a renovation. It may be a re-cycling project for him. Keep looking and you will find its value and if all else fails, hold out for the used engine that you need. Good luck and do keep up posted.
We would love to see pictures of what you have described.
Scouter Dave
Old 06-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Abandoned Property Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
I believe in most instances items left on private property for a certain amount of time belong to the owner of the property which would put you in the position to get what you want for it. We just bought a compact jr in calafornia in very poor condition basically just a shell for $600 oo
That is indirectly true in almost all jurisdictions, but there is usually a disposition/claiming process needed, especially if you are going to give/sell it to someone else.

Check your local laws before doing anything with it.

"Finders-Keepers" usually only applies in Marine law and not even always then.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #10

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Each state has their own process. Irritating, time consuming, but doable.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote