Compact II Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1974 Hunter Compact II
Virginia
Compact II Awning

Does anyone have the specs for a Hunter Compact II awning? Or whether there is one commercially available that fits? And, most importantly, how did it attach to the trailer?
billgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Does the trailer have a awning rail already in place?

If not, you can have just about any type of awning you want. I have seen them off the sides as well as off the back over the door.

Many people just just a canopy such as a "Easy Up" (FYI) theres nothing easy about getting them up, but once their up they are nice!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #3

Virginia
No, there is no rail in place. Wanted to get one to go over the window on the side. So, it would have to be smallish! I saw in the brochure that it was an option back in the day, and wanted to see if was possible to recreate it, more for fun than anything else.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #4

You can re-create! I am actually trying to find a link to a lady who makes retro awnings. Give me a bit, I am still searching for her link.

Many people have made their own as well. Just need to attach a awning rail and make what you want.

If you go to google and type in ( Awnings fiberglassrv.com ) it will bring you to a lot of conversations on the topic of awnings. Easier than doing a search from here.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #5

Ok, since my search for a link wasn't working I posed a question on a group I am on, on FB this is the info I got back.

(530) 891-5120 or domy@sbcglobal.net. Her web site is "under construction")

Her name is Marti. She makes adorable awnings.

http://www.facebook.com/marti.domyancic

Here's her FB page. You won't be able to see it unless your on FB, but it's at least a start to give you some ideas. Good Luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #6

Virginia
Thanks, Robin! I am on FB, so... this is great! Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #7

Your welcome! To bad her website is under construction. Cause she has some really cool stuff to look at.

Since your on FB, Check out Tin Can Tourist Group. She has done a lot of awnings for people restoring tin cans. Of course you will have to search, cause not many current topic's on "awnings" this time of year. But search back and you will find some.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgordon View Post
No, there is no rail in place. Wanted to get one to go over the window on the side. So, it would have to be smallish! I saw in the brochure that it was an option back in the day, and wanted to see if was possible to recreate it, more for fun than anything else.
Bill, if you send Marti a photo, she can make one to match. I had her make me one for my UHaul. Its 7'x8ft rope and pole awning. Nice size, and so easy to install that I put it up all myself. You can choose any Sunbrella fabric or pattern, send her the color/pattern number, and she'll make the awning.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's another awning maker: Vintage Awnings
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In looking at the original Hunter Compact-II literature and, after measuring my own Compact-II windows, I would guess that a standard Carefree Window Awning would do the trick. They can be ordered by actual length needed in a variety of fabrics. The bad news, plan at least $300 each, but still, I'll bet, less than custom made ones. Check with any RV dealer that sells Carefree of Colorade products.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Double check, because Marti's awnings are less than $300. But they're rope and pole, not the Carefree of Colorado type. I have heard of people getting good prices also from JC Whitney. Not much choice of colors, but price was good.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The optional Hunter Compact-II awnings were only for the side windows, measure 48" long and extend about 18". Because of the steps in the fiberglass on the sides and back there is no practical way to attach an awning rail. I tried to use the suction cup system from The Bus Depot but they don't work well on the fiberglass surface of the Hunters. I too use an EZ-Up and the real EZ-Up's are EZ-Up..... not so much so for the cheap knock-offs.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Bill
I had a Compact II with the awning option. There were awning tracks attached above the windows. The awning was a heavy duty window shade with vinyl material. There were brackets on each lower side of the windows with three notches in them. The wind up tube for the shade was mounted on heavy round steel wire. When the shades were retracted they were pulled tight to the awning track. When in use you pulled the shade down to the notched bracket to hold it in place. I don't think many have survived. The sun ate up the shade material.
The trailer also had a rear awning. The legs attached to the rear bumper and there was an awning track above the rear door. It unrolled like the window awnings but the legs extended to raise the awning. Kind of like the Snoozy awning.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote