Compact Jr. - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Compact Jr.

My husband and I are going today to look at a 71 Compact Jr. We are not familiar with this trailer at all and from the pictures it looks in nice shape. We are wondering though what this thing is worth. They are asking $3850.00 which from a brief search appears to be very high. Does anyone have an idea what an approximate reasonable price for this trailer would be, or can you direct us where to look? Thank you in advance for any help.
Sheila

Old 08-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Maybe you would get more response in the general chat section. When I checked this post, I thought it was a trailer you wanted to sell, so others may just pass it by. Good luck on your search. Terry R.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #3

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
That seems a bit high for one in the most typical condition (i.e. mostly original and needing work), but of course the "right" price is always the one that a seller will take and a buyer will pay for one particular trailer. There is also some regional variation, but I don't know where you are.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at the Compact Jr. (and I say this as a big fan of them), is that the interior is basically "stick built." That is, the shell is fiberglass, but the interior furniture is built of wood. Most of our trailers were built to a price, with relatively unskilled labor, but the Bolers, Burros, and etc. have molded fiberglass furniture, which is a bit more fool- and time-proof. So take a very close look at the interior furniture.

Also note that the shell rolls around and tucks under the camper for only about 12", and the rest of the floor is plywood, so check it over.

The frames were fairly light, so give that a look-see. The suspensions were leaf springs. The top should pop up and there should be canvas mini-walls with a few windows in the pop-up section.

These campers are relatively light, but with the kitchens in back you can easily end up without enough tongue weight/too much weight aft. That's something you can account for once you know about it.

The floor plan is nice in that it gives you a potentially huge bed; but on the other hand there is much less open living-roomy space than, say, a Burro or a Boler/clone. The Compact will easily fit into a garage with a 7' door, whereas only some Boler/clones will (older ones tend to be low enough).

Happy shopping,
Raya
Old 08-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #4

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Cool

That's about the amount it would take to purchase mine. (some people have paid as high as $5,000 for one-very nice ones) However, I completely rebuilt it two years ago. new cabinents, floor, floor covering, new vinyl pop up, new cushion covers, another axle, repaint, reinforcing the frame, etc. By being thrifty, I only spent $2,000 in materials....
It has no battery, a 7 1/2 propane tank (to add tongue weight), water tank in storage. It weighs right at 1600# loaded to go down the road, so they are not as light as one may think. (and no, I didn't add that much iron to the frame-prob about 40-50#) Larry
Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr; 1972 Astro (Havasu?)
Washington
Larry; my 73 loaded; 2 deep cycle, food, bedding, clothes, pots and pans, scaled at 1240. I'm curious as to what changes you made to add that much weight?
Old 08-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #6

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bese View Post
Larry; my 73 loaded; 2 deep cycle, food, bedding, clothes, pots and pans, scaled at 1240. I'm curious as to what changes you made to add that much weight?
Dave- I dunno.... The rebuild shouldn't have added that much, but I've scaled it a couple times. Once on the way home from picking it up (around 1450-1500# according to the WSP scale at Cle Elum) and then 1600# loaded -grub, clothes, propane, about 5-6 gal water, spare, a few tools, awning (w/poles, etc) on a certified grain scale. Here's a link to the rebuild.
I Did It Again...A Compact Jr.

Maybe too much paint??? Larry
Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Hello Larry & Carrie-
Can you email me re: re-doing a pop-up on a 78 compact? I wouls rally appreciate a resource on a recanvassing.

Thanks1
LynnD. ledillard@yahoo.com
Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #8

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Lynne,

I'm not Larry but just thought I would mention that being in the Bay Area, you have quite a few marine canvas shops around. That's where I would check if I wanted to have a new top made, I think. They are used to odd angles, and folding, and also making things fit and be durable.

Raya
Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Another source is any shop that sews new tops for Jeeps.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #10

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
Compact Jr. top

Our popup top was sewn by an upholstery lady-she said she could sew canvas or vinyl. We sis have the old top for a pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn D. View Post
Hello Larry & Carrie-
Can you email me re: re-doing a pop-up on a 78 compact? I wouls rally appreciate a resource on a recanvassing.

Thanks1
LynnD. ledillard@yahoo.com
Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #11

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Raya said it all.... well almost.[lol]
I bought one of these and towed it empty without a propane tank or battery. It was unmanageable until I stopped on the way home and bought 4 concrete blocks for tongue weight. With the addition of a propane tank, a battery, and some storage weight up front under the bench, it should behave.
Also... don't step up into the back of this trailer without it's being either attached to the TV or supported on stabilizers or stands. Sitting free and Unsupported , it doesn't take a large person to cause it to pop a wheely.
This is not intended to be derogatory, and properly loaded and equipped, it will be just fine.
Many Small fiberglass trailers might pop a wheely if you stood on the rear bumper ,but the CJ is of course rear entry.

The one I bought was solid but stripped, not even taillights,[it did have new hubs and tires].
Still it sold in that condition for $1800. A finished one should easily bring twice that.