Comparative Merits - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of a Casita vs Scamp trailers
Joel Aronoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of a Casita vs Scamp trailers
Everyone that owns a Scamp or Casita ! Sorry couldn't help myself.

What exactly do you want to know?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have both right now and I too fell they have merits!

This is all this entire site is about!

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
If you check the archives , I'm sure you will find Hours of interesting reading on this exact subject! if not here then certainly over at the Scampers yahoo site!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Joel, we really aren't being smart-alecs, truly. But this conversation has come up time and time again. It's sorta like the Ford/Chevy debate. Everyone here typically loves the trailer they own (even if they're lusting for something else). Whether it's a Scamp or Casita or Escape or EggCamper or Genesis or Northern Lite or Trillium or Outback or Ponderosa or Little Joe... (those are current manufacturers) you'll find these trailers are more alike than different. Everything other than the frame and shell and cabinetry is manufactured by someone else and they all use the same or similar appliances.

What you need to do is decide what floor plan, plus options and features you NEED and members of this board can point you in the direction perhaps you'd like to go.

If you're looking for used, we can help there too!

So, where are you headed?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Joel, we really aren't being smart-alecs, truly.
[b]Really? LOL

Joel, maybe if you tell us what your looking for in a travel trailer than we should be able to tell you which trailer merit meets that trailer want. That being said I will tell you what I have seen different between the two. Most of this can be attributed to personal likes or dislikes. I own a 2007 Casita, and have been in mostly older Scamps though a few newer Scamps.

Scamp-much roomier/wider inside than the Casita, Two people can pass each other in a scamp walk way. Casita you better be liken each other cause you are sliding by.

Personally, I don't care for the rat fur on the Scamp ( whom ever cuts the stuff really needs to get the line straighter, this is true for every one I have been in) Not that I am a carpet person, cause I am not but I think the Casita carpet has a neater/tidy'er more finished look.

Scamp has more counter tops than any Casita model. Don't get me wrong, I love my Casita and probabaly wouldn't buy a scamp but the merits of more counter top space make me wish.

Casita has a much better finish on the outside, much shiny'er than even the new Scamps I have seen. I don't understand that one cause I would venture to guess that gel coat product is very simular so I don't know if Caista applies two coats or what. Many older Casita's I have seen just look better than say a Scamp of the same age.

I personally like the Casita bathroom over the Scamp bathroom. The Casita bathroom is almost all glass. Where the Scamp bathrooms you see hardware. Scamps bathroom has a lot of squareness to it, where Casitas are more rounded so fewer corners to chase water out of.

Scamp has the biggest vent I have ever seen, and I have been in a lot of rv's. It's cool! Couldn't tell you if its efficient?

Well there's 3 merits for each, use the info with the understanding that it's my personal opinion. I personally bought a Casita and am very glad I did, as I am sure Scamp owners are happy with theirs. It really comes down to what your looking for......... What will make you comfortable. So again if you let us know what your looking for, then we should be able to tell you which trailer meets that "want".
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I was being sincere with my response....really.
This is why we gather here.

An example.
The casita has an enclosed fiberglass underside.
The Scamp has an underside made of resin impregnated OSB board.

On the face it may seem the Casita has the edge with the encased belly.
My experience with two different Trilliums with an encased construction is that a leak from above somewhere lets trapped water sit inside the floor to rot the wood inside.
I had to drill small drain holes in both of mine just to let water run out and dry.

The Casita may be more resistant to water from the road but no one has really determined this yet either?

This construction also helps make the Casita heavier.

Also I have both a Casita and Scamp right now and both have almost the exact same counter top space.
The Casita is really a little deeper.

The Scamp has a floor inside that has a wider aisle maybe but the seats are more narrow. The seats are also elevated as the frame is elevated on the sides.
The Casita has a flat floor and a more narrow isle but wider more comfortable seats.

I could go on and on but the point is......they are just different but are more alike than different too.
One mans merit is anothers downside.

So like I said this is the main reason we are here to share our personal experience and opinions of the relative merits of each brand and model.

Welcome and Read On!

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Call each manufacturer and they will GLADLY supply names of owners in your area who will show you their rig. OR, ask HERE, and many folks here are also willing to show. OR - attend a gathering and look at multiple rigs.

Honestly, you WILL find the one that is "best" for you and your lifestyle. And you will know it when you see it.

Happy Trails.... Alan W.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #9

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Both trailers are and always have been quality trailers in my opinion.
My only complaint about Casita is the low interior ceiling height of 5' 10", unless you can find Casita Liberty which is a little taller. Other than that , no complaints about either one.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We just sold our beloved 2001 Casita 17' FD with the intent of buying a brand new shiny Casita 17' Deluxe - we went back & forth over the merits of the Spirit vs the Freedom floorplan. Then we went & looked at a Scamp 19'. Now the decision is harder than ever. After making charts of pros & cons, we decided that there is no bad decision. Scamp & Casita are both high quality products. It comes down to personal preference. Right now we are leaning heavily toward the Scamp 19' Deluxe. The larger fridge & extra counter space have a lot of appeal. Maybe after a good nights sleep the Casita's bottom that can be waxed, more attractive cushions & wall covering, & all fiberglass bathroom will tilt the scales the other way. It may come down to flipping a coin. As I said, you can't lose. I know we'd be thrilled to own either.
Ellen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Both trailers are and always have been quality trailers in my opinion.
My only complaint about Casita is the low interior ceiling height of 5' 10", unless you can find Casita Liberty which is a little taller. Other than that , no complaints about either one.
John
FWIW, it's the 16 ft. Casitas that have the low interior ceiling height, no matter which floor plan (Spirit, Freedom, or Liberty). The 17 ft. Casitas are a couple or three inches higher inside, again, no matter which floor plan.

I don't have much personal experience with the 13 ft. Casitas (Patriot floor plan) but I assume their interior height is like that on the 16 ft. models.

Hope this little clarification is useful.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
Is this about apples and oranges?
You have to take each individual USED trailer and examine it on it's own merrits. Is it used and abused or spic and span with wonderfully done upgrades? You also have to look for those that are available in your area. We don't see a lot of the Casita brand around here.
If you are looking at a NEW trailer then It's all about what you want and what the supplier can give you.
All within a price that fits your wallet.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
FWIW, it's the 16 ft. Casitas that have the low interior ceiling height, no matter which floor plan (Spirit, Freedom, or Liberty). The 17 ft. Casitas are a couple or three inches higher inside, again, no matter which floor plan.

I don't have much personal experience with the 13 ft. Casitas (Patriot floor plan) but I assume their interior height is like that on the 16 ft. models.

Hope this little clarification is useful.
If it helps, the two recent brochures I have from Scamp and Casita show that all three Scamps (13, 16, and 19) are 6' 3" interior height, and the Casita 13 and 16 are 5' 10" and the 17 is 6' 1 1/2". I haven't measured either one so I'm not sure how accurate the measurements are or where they measured the height.

John
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

Never been inside a Casita, but the standard Scamps have narrow beds, my only gripe with them. But can be gotten wider in the Custom wooden interior ones. Custom Deluxe Wood Interiors

The Casita's come with bigger wheels & tires.

Scamp's seem to be slightly lighter, with more head room in the 13' & 16' sizes. Better insulated.

Scamp's more Retro in design visually.

Our 16' Scamp has the Side Dinette, & we keep the bed as a bed. Layout 6 ******** Video
The 17' Casita will give more room for a wider bed.

There are Other Small Travel Trailers out there as well.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I measured my 2009 16' Scamp and it is 6'0" floor to roof.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
May I suggest that the Escapes be considered. Great floor plans, well built and a great company to do business with!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Having been in both Scamps and Casitas our personal take is that the Casita seems more claustrophobic and the Scamps seem to have a bit more breathing room. Scamp has better floor plans for families with children and Casita floor plans seem more suited to a couple or single. After being acquainted with all the different trailers out there we'd most likely go Bigfoot if we changed. Just our two cents, but we're really pretty fond of all of them....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote