Comparing The Fiberglass Trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Comparing The Fiberglass Trailers

I was reading in another thread that someone wanted to compare "apples to apples" as far as the trailers go. I don't think that is really possible and if it is, I am missing something. There are still so many variables between the different manufacturers or at least the way I see it. I am a person who does better with only one choice. But, window-shopping is still fun to some degree. For me, I guess my first criteria is shallow, "looks" that suit my taste and then, I go to look at the practical like carry capacity, tank sizes, dimensions, etc. Then, I look for a really big deciding factor $$$$. Being 58 years old, I'm thinking that needing something for 30 or 40 years at this point, well, maybe. I also look at our purpose. I always want to spend the least amount of money for the best value and I was reading elsewhere yesterday on another forum, price isn't always the only criteria one needs to look at when it comes to quality. I learned in high school, must have been, marketing class that price should equal value which, of course, today, it doesn't. I worked for a smaller RV manufacturer which at the time was producing 2 units per month (big ones) and the overhead was high and each time they bought something like an appliance or awning, etc., instead of getting a price break for buying 100 at a time or more, they ended up paying more and that was passed on to the consumer. The other expense which totally blew my mind was that if you took the cost of advertising and divided it by the number of units produced, it was $1,000 per unit. OK, I over-analysis everything and have a passion for math. So, to me, I'm comparing "apples to oranges".
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
OK. I consider your statement a good synopsis of the considerations which dominated my thinking when I contemplated buying a camping trailer at age 63. At 65, I don't regret doing so. I like apples, oranges, and bananas.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There is no one or even two perfect trailers for everyone. Layout, tow weight, budget, exterior height, interior height, etc., etc., etc. all need to be taken into consideration by the buyer/owner.

My 25 year old Scamp isn't perfect, it's not even my forever trailer. But for now, it's mine, it's paid for and it takes me places to soothe my soul. One thing you can never get back is time.... I'm grateful I didn't waste one more day than necessary to make memories.

One thing I know about myself, if I spend enough time/effort thinking about something... like weeks or months I can usually talk myself out of it. That's why I don't have an 80" big screen TV While I can't afford to waste money, I knew I couldn't afford to waste opportunities to have camping experiences either. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My decision was made when I was 8. I grew up in Ontario. Trilliums were everywhere. I considered other trailers, but when I found a Trillium 4500 for the right price, there was no other choice.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Don't get locked into paralysis by analysis, either. Time once lost, is forever.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I do the same Cathy. Analyse, then analyse, and then analyse some more.
In one respect I'm glad I did. Gave me time to shop, shop, shop, shop, and shop.
But there does come a period of time when it's not advantageous to lose anymore
time. Actually, a factor that pushed me is watching the value of the $ fall each day.
So, paying more for a new trailer than it cost the year before and probably more than the year before that, I know it will cost even more if I waited one more year.

The one I picked is the one that suits my personality and style.
Each of us have that "one" factor that cancels others out. But there is a trailer out there with our names on it. I admire those on here buying a fixer-upper and marvel at the work they have done and are doing. I'm no longer able to do that, but I can still enjoy what they are doing and be a part of it by reading what they are doing.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I learned in high school, must have been, marketing class that price should equal value which, of course, today, it doesn't.
I think that's where you - or the instructor - went wrong. Price has never equalled value; to make a sale of a discretionary item, price must be no more than what the potential buyer perceives to be the value to him or her. Staying in business means keeping costs below that price. Since the perception of value is highly individual and often irrational, business is rarely simple... and it never has been.

I bow down to anyone who can build a successful business by selling real products of real value, in a maddeningly irrational world.
Some of the manufacturers of our trailers are in this category, and in this forum.

Lots of us are highly analytical...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Cathy,

Get yourself to a couple of fiberglass gatherings. Talk to folks, see different models. We are all happy to show off our rigs.

Check under rallies forum. One in Minden, NE in May. Another might be closer to you. Under the rally section you can search by state.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I'm expecting 4 or 5 Lil Snoozy at the Van Buren, ARK gathering in Sept.

RVER - River Valley Egg Rally V II

There were Casitas, Big Foot, etc. there last year.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote