Complete Fiberglass Business - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-04-2006, 02:32 AM   #1

Trailer: '74 Ventura
Thumbs down

OK - this is in our local weekly paper this week - while they have a web site, they do post Classifieds on it - so I will post the whole ad here.

What you read is as much as I know about this - does sound interesting though -

From the Shelton-Mason County Journal (located in Shelton, WA) week of May 4th 2006:

Complete Fiberglass business. MtyLite travel trailers with Venus chopper gun, Little Willy Gelcoat gun, all molds and air powered tools. $10,000 OBO. (360) 357-4527 or (360) 951-7773

For less than the o$t of a "new" trailer, one could be in bizness making $$$$
Yeah I know being in biz can COST $$$$$ as well - been there many times (though usually successful) Anyways "IF" I only knew something the whole fiberglass process I would be a "player" But I don't

Old 05-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Know anyone in the boating business?

Old 05-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I dont know any one in the business... but yrs ago I worked in a fiberglass boat factory... its really a nasty job!! They would have to pay me a real good wage to get back into that stuff.....
Old 05-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #4

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
These would be the molds you would be getting. Or, it is a reasonable assumtion since we know that:

Mitilite was built near Centralia/Chehalis (From the eBay ad these pics were taken from.. and it's one of our members trailers too!)

We spell it differently than in the ad tho. Which one is right? Who owns this trailer.. I have forgotten!

Mity Lite Hybrid
Old 05-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I am in Centralia .. dont know of any fiberglass factory here... by one of the phone numbers is located in Olympia WA??? interesting.. whats their web site addy.... Got me curious now....

I believe M. Bullard has or had one??
Old 05-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #6

Trailer:
I repeated this message on the Teardrops forum, in case anyone there was interested.

The thing that struck me is that this is a potential replacement for the Eriba Puck and that the VW crowd who like the Puck might be a good target market for the MitiLite - one person even commented that it looks like a VW bus.

Andrew
Old 05-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
Here's a picture of my Miti-Lite. It was manufactured in Shelton, Wa 9/86.
Attached Thumbnails
088_88_0088.jpg  
Old 05-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #8

West Coast USA
Registry
Hi Mike, forgive me for not remembering it was you.

Mike got this off eBay, thats where the pics in the alblum came from. Didn't you pick it up in eastern washington somewhere Mike?

Shelton, yep. I don't know why I was thinking Centralia.. (Was it the Minits that were made in Centralia then?)

they are reasonably close tho. Or at least in the same region. Shelton is north east of Oly just a tad.

A pinpoint from Mike on Shelton as the site for manufacture now makes me 99.9% positive that these are the molds.

Yes, they are very Puckish. I noted that right off long ago when the eBay ad was in.

If I had 10k and the time (And the knowledge ) I'd be tempted to invest in this one!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #9

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I've always wondered about the logic of buying the assets of a business which failed for someone else, then expecting it to work. The joys of positive thinking...

An interesting detail here is the "business" is the bits needed to build the shell of an otherwise unavailable trailer... for $10,000. Maybe a couple of people who want this type trailer will buy it just to make a couple of trailers for themselves?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #10

West Coast USA
Registry
Marketing is the key. With the right assets, market AND advertising, one could successfully sell brass toilet seats in the Arctic.

This may be the time to do a trailer like this, but there is a much bigger investment than 10k that would need to happen.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
Quote:
I've always wondered about the logic of buying the assets of a business which failed for someone else, then expecting it to work. The joys of positive thinking...
They could be getting a divorce. I saw a very successful cafe selling out for that very reason.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:31 AM   #12

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
There are many many reasons businesses fail. The most common is under captalized. Start up companies fail at an alarming rate. As far as buying assets of company, I've seen it work both ways. You purchase the assets of a company that's going strong, mismanage it to it's death. My wife works for a company that buys places that aren't doing well and turns them around. Notice I didn't say attempts to turn them around.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #13
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I've always wondered about the logic of buying the assets of a business which failed for someone else, then expecting it to work.
Although there are a lot of factors like value, price point, etc, many times it is management ... or mismanagement. Mismanagement includes all types of things like poor service, poor employee management, poor quality control, expensive and/or ineffective marketing techniques, poor (or no) business plan, or (more often than not) removing too much of the capital for personal use.