Composite fibreglass propane tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
Just noticed these at my local Home Depot here in Toronto. Only $29.99 if you exchange a steel tank. They have a cage beside the steel tanks offering new pre-filled tanks and an exchange program, regularly $79.99 for new/pre-filled. I have a feeling they weren't selling well so they're just clearing them out. Might be the same deal at other locations.

I was really tempted to get one even before this sale, but after lengthy discussions, decided to stay with steel for a few reasons:

My main use of propane will be with our home BBQ and even if I know the tank is running low, I'm going to want to use up all the gas, so I need to keep a second full tank around anyway.

We'll mostly take short trips and our use of propane in the Boler will just be for the stove so I can't imagine running out. For longer trips I'll just make sure to take the full tank.

In the odd chance we run do out while on the road, it'll be easier to use an exchange program with the steel tank if needed.

I'd have to modify the hold-down system somewhat to fit the composite tank.

And lastly, I think the steel tanks look much better sitting up front on the tongue, their shape really matches the trailer.

They look like this one, Ragasco brand I think, not the Lite brand.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
1027.jpg  
Old 04-26-2009, 04:25 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Just noticed these at my local Home Depot here in Toronto. Only $29.99 if you exchange a steel tank. They have a cage beside the steel tanks offering new pre-filled tanks and an exchange program, regularly $79.99 for new/pre-filled. I have a feeling they weren't selling well so they're just clearing them out. Might be the same deal at other locations.

I was really tempted to get one even before this sale, but after lengthy discussions, decided to stay with steel for a few reasons:

My main use of propane will be with our home BBQ and even if I know the tank is running low, I'm going to want to use up all the gas, so I need to keep a second full tank around anyway.

We'll mostly take short trips and our use of propane in the Boler will just be for the stove so I can't imagine running out. For longer trips I'll just make sure to take the full tank.

In the odd chance we run do out while on the road, it'll be easier to use an exchange program with the steel tank if needed.

I'd have to modify the hold-down system somewhat to fit the composite tank.

And lastly, I think the steel tanks look much better sitting up front on the tongue, their shape really matches the trailer.

They look like this one, Ragasco brand I think, not the Lite brand.

Kevin
I've seen some other fiberglass tanks and they sure are easy to tell your fuel level. I'm going to check my local HD's and see if they have them. I have 2 tanks on my new Casita and am thinking of going down to one tank and adding the Honda Generator to the Tongue. So, this would sure be a secure way to save the 2nd tank weight and still know your fuel leve.

Thanks for the heads-up.

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Kevin:
"Just noticed these at my local Home Depot here in Toronto. Only $29.99 if you exchange a steel tank."

That is really a steal. I'd do it in a second, just for the weight savings alone. I'll check my local Home Depot, too but I suspect you were right in your assessment and it was a fluke. I found them "on sale" here after a quick Google for $123.42 plus shipping/20# and the 10#ones/slightly less.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=167...mp;WT.mc_id=gb1
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I just recently considered a composite tank because I needed to replace my steel one (it has the older style valve and re-valving is about the price of a new tank). Although I like the composite tanks, I found that for one tank, the weight savings was not that much (proportionally less when the tank is full) and it would have required a whole new mounting and hold down arrangement. So I decided to stick with steel this go 'round. Both the bottom and top of the tank are different, so it's something to check.

Raya

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #5

The difference in TARE weight between steel and composite in the 20 Lb size is just 6 Lbs of weight on the tongue. Whereas most would consider that inconsequential, there are a few who watch and weigh every item, & for those it is a fair amount to consider. Engineering a new mounting bracket would certainly be a consideration.

I have discovered there are different size circular "feet" welded to the bottoms of propane tanks as bases for them to stand upright. There are some about 7.5" in diameter that just fit inside the angle brackets welded onto my Casita to hold the tanks. But some are slightly over 8" and must be bent so as to fit inside. Very Strange! I would have thought they would all be a standard size. The 20 Lb propane tank that came with my Casita, was of the large variety and it was pounded flat on one side from the factory so as to fit between the angle iron bracket. The new 20 Lb tank I replaced it with was smaller and snuggled quite nicely inside those brackets. But, a new 10 Lb propane tank that I just purchased, so as to save a few pounds of weight, had the larger circular foot, which wouldn't fit, and I refused to pound one side of it flat. I am still wondering where I will carry it.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
The difference in TARE weight between steel and composite in the 20 Lb size is just 6 Lbs of weight on the tongue. Whereas most would consider that inconsequential, there are a few who watch and weigh every item, & for those it is a fair amount to consider. Engineering a new mounting bracket would certainly be a consideration.

I have discovered there are different size circular "feet" welded to the bottoms of propane tanks as bases for them to stand upright. There are some about 7.5" in diameter that just fit inside the angle brackets welded onto my Casita to hold the tanks. But some are slightly over 8" and must be bent so as to fit inside. Very Strange! I would have thought they would all be a standard size. The 20 Lb propane tank that came with my Casita, was of the large variety and it was pounded flat on one side from the factory so as to fit between the angle iron bracket. The new 20 Lb tank I replaced it with was smaller and snuggled quite nicely inside those brackets. But, a new 10 Lb propane tank that I just purchased, so as to save a few pounds of weight, had the larger circular foot, which wouldn't fit, and I refused to pound one side of it flat. I am still wondering where I will carry it.
John, why not cut, very carefully, a slot / or slots through the ring on the bottom of the new so it can slip over the brackets or put an adapter of some sort underneath the tank? Then you could keep the tank just where you would like it to be. I'll bet you could fabricate something like 2 "stepped" rectangles where the smaller one would fit into the existing frames and then have a larger rectangle above it that would accept your bigger ring. Or, could you cut sections out of the existing frames so the larger circle would fit down in. This wouldn't add any weight. Just some thoughts.

EKW
Old 04-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #7

Keith:
Thanks. I'll look at your suggestion to cut through the ring so as to have it sit onto the angle iron, but not all the way through, just part of the way, maybe half. All the way to the cylinder might weaken the ring too much, plus the tank is full and......

I really did not wish to carry it inside the Casita until I needed it, but have been doing so, it fitting quite nicely inside one of those tidy looking plastic milk crates. I sniff now very carefully every time I open the door and it makes me nervous. I keep thinking that if if it feels like a bad idea quite likely it just might be. It needs to be on the tongue and in the open air.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Keith:
Thanks. I'll look at your suggestion to cut through the ring so as to have it sit onto the angle iron, but not all the way through, just part of the way, maybe half. All the way to the cylinder might weaken the ring too much, plus the tank is full and......

I really did not wish to carry it inside the Casita until I needed it, but have been doing so, it fitting quite nicely inside one of those tidy looking plastic milk crates. I sniff now very carefully every time I open the door and it makes me nervous. I keep thinking that if if it feels like a bad idea quite likely it just might be. It needs to be on the tongue and in the open air.
You're welcome. I don't know about turning the tank upside down in order to cut the metal. I think if I were doing it, I would have someone hold it vertically and use a hacksaw upside down. A reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade would be even easier. I know it's scary with a tank of gas, but if you don't cut all the way through and into the tank...yikes it should be fine. you could always open the groove with files if needed.

Good luck.

EKW

Tags
propane