Computer Antivirus - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1984
I have been using the FREE AVG antivirus programme. It has worked well for the last couple of years, BUT, I am getting daily messages telling me that it will no longer be available after Apr 12 and I MUST download their PAID version. What effective programme are you using.
I used to have Norton but still got hit with a virus and don't want to go back to it. Haven't had that problem with this one.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
AVG still offers free anti-virus - AVG Free 8.5 . However, they set up the offer page so that it looks like the only option is the purchase version. I downloaded it Monday on my laptop for free.

Tom Trostel
Old 03-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #3

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Quote:
AVG still offers free anti-virus - AVG Free 8.5 . However, they set up the offer page so that it looks like the only option is the purchase version. I downloaded it Monday on my laptop for free.

Tom Trostel

What Tom said.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
What Tom said.
I may be wrong but I think he is saying that it is his "computer" that is popping up screen messages telling him the two years are up. BTW AVG is the toughest thing to uninstall I have ever had on my hard drive in twenty plus years.
http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallavg.shtml
http://www.computing.net/answers/security/...-plz/19851.html

hundreds more of post about uninstall problems from google
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
When I uploaded my free version of AVG 8.5, I ran a scan and it found a virus in a file that was a couple of years old (both the file and virus) and previous AVG scans hadn't revealed it. Dunno if the previous couldn't find it or if the program it found spoofed it into believing the virus was there -- Deleted the program, so it's now a moot point...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We use avast! 4.8 anti-virus (http://www.avast.com/). It's free for home use, generally unobtrusive, and seems to be doing a good job.

We installed it on recommendation of our son who is a web-developer/server/network manager type.

-Fred
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #7

Guess it's my old tired eyes, I thought I was going to have to fork over a bunch of $$$$. I'll move to the 8.5 version. I've had no problems since changing to AVG and I'd like to stay with them. Thanks for clearing that up.
Jim
Old 03-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
AVG and Avast are both good. Every year or two or three they will try to get you into the paid version, simply by doing what Tom said. The new version of AVG may simply overwrite the old version---at least that's what it did when I was using it several years ago. If not, first removal choice is to use the customary Program Removal Tool in the Windows Control Panel. If that doesn't complete the job, perhaps you can find if AVG has a removal tool. (Norton has a removal tool which must be used in the case of Norton products.)

Personally I prefer, and went back to, the product that Norton started producing two years ago. It's not your father's Norton! Light weight, not ponderous like their old cr*p, automatic pulse background updates. Of course the deal maker is that you can often find it or Norton Internet Security (additional features) for free, just the cost of shipping from such as frys.com. (In fact that's the way I bought a bundle, NIS and Ghost, from Fry's in January.)

Caution, don't ever download anything from pchell.com. (Referenced above.) Geeks know that site, like hundreds or thousands of others, offers to scan your machine, finds a problem (which it has caused), then offers to sell you something to clean up the problem.

Good luck!
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:11 AM   #9

Avoid the Conficker Worm.

Late news on virus (worm) attacks and the importance of keeping your antivirus program and Windows updates current,
read this 60 Minutes transcript---or watch the video.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/27/...in4897053.shtml

Now! Update your virus software, if it doesn't update automatically.
And be sure you have all "Important" Microsoft Windows updates downloaded and installed.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I have used AVG for many yrs.. Ifinally bought it.. and I think its worth the money... they will give you support... Its very dependable!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Smile

George thanks for mentioning Confliker, my shop computer has been acting up and on a hunch from your comment I checked it and guess what? It got by firewalls, anti malware and spyware protections, also thru the router firewalls, making a nice comfy home in my computers. I run an external backup online so I will be wiping my drives and down loading the system again under general principle. I do not want customer records comprimised.

I wish I could charge by the hour for just keeping up with this crap.

Again thanks.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 PM   #12

Well I got it done finally. The first screen from AVG gave me three MORE programmes that I didn't really want. Oh yeah, they are free to download, BUT, when you try to use the information it sends you to a BUY NOW screen, and I still didn't get the 8.5 version. The next day I tried again. I got a different screen and managed to follow it through. It took a while for my tired old computer to download everything,but I got 'er done
I fully expected it to say "Re-configuring, re-configuring".
Now I'm checking Future Shop , Staples, and some others for a sale so I can add some RAM memory.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Well I got it done finally. The first screen from AVG gave me three MORE programmes that I didn't really want. Oh yeah, they are free to download, BUT, when you try to use the information it sends you to a BUY NOW screen, and I still didn't get the 8.5 version. The next day I tried again. I got a different screen and managed to follow it through. It took a while for my tired old computer to download everything,but I got 'er done
I fully expected it to say "Re-configuring, re-configuring".
Now I'm checking Future Shop , Staples, and some others for a sale so I can add some RAM memory.
It would help you stay safe if you never "ran" an executable except those you trust and if you always keep java script (also an executable) turned off. There are too many 'execute on load scripts" out there. Just visiting a site runs a script unless you keep java off.
Not sure about IE but Firefox has an add-on that lets you select which pages you allow script and turns off the rest. Look up "no script" add on.
You can keep your antivirus safer if you never have to use it.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Not sure about IE but Firefox has an add-on that lets you select which pages you allow script and turns off the rest. Look up "no script" add on.
You can keep your antivirus safer if you never have to use it.
You're absolutely correct, "NoScript" is an excellent add-on for us Firefox users. However, the problem with it at the moment is that the NoScript designer is a step or so behind the fast-evolving Firefox. Most Firefox users have probably been updated to the latest version (today v.3.0.8) and NoScript isn't yet compatible. I'm sure the designer is working on that issue, because NoScript is a No. 1 Firefox Add-On. (And it does not work on IE, as is true with any Firefox Add-On.)
Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #15

Quote:
James, here's a good source to determine what RAM is compatible for your machine. I've found this source reliable, competitive and fast. Free ship in the U.S. Canada ship, I don't know?

http://www.crucial.com/?cpe=pd_google_us&a...:20090401144859
Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #16

From a message that I received, apparently some wish the web sites for the FREE anti-virus programs. (And I've thrown in a couple of good anti-spyware, anti-adware programs.)

If you go to any of these sites, be sure to use, or navigate to, the FREE version. They are adequate for most users. The primary difference (in most) is that you need to update every week or so. With the current worm threat, I'd update frequently, just to be sure. All these companies have paid-subscription versions, but the main difference is they will update automatically and their C.S. may be more available.

AVG Anti-virus: http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe
(You want the FREE AVG, not the "Premium Protection Free", which does not turn out to be actually free.)

Avast! Anti-virus: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Most everyone already knows this, but do not install more than one Anti-virus program on your machine---they will conflict with each other. That rule does not apply to anti-adware/spyware programs.

These are anti-adware/spyware programs. They have no anti-virus function:

Lavasoft Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoft.com/home.php

Spybot Search & Destroy: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Hope this makes finding the a/v program sites a little easier!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #17

If you want a free scan go to trendmicro.com
They will do it online.
http://us.trendmicro.com/us/home/home-user/
look for "house call" along the right side of the page.
They will scan your computer for "all" malware for free!
Still better don't let bad stuff get on your hard drive in the first place.