computer garus - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
computer garus

Ok gurus I get up this am and the computer is not only fast but blazing fast my radio station plays perfect!

For several days it has been getting draggy even cutting off my router! Anyone else experience these things? My son a computer guru says it something about the pipes out there in cyberland.

I am not a coder, I don't play games on my computer, I read newspapers, do emails, do Amazon, do Ebay and other things.

This computer is a widows 7 works for me and I am not the latest buyer of all things in computerland but this has been a problem for years. When this computer goes I have another windows 7 ready to go I buy them for 100 bux off ebay!

I have all the virus stuff on it and I run it regularly never a thing so that cannot be it.

I want an answer but make it simple!

best regards and thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #2

Missouri
something funny

I made a donation on the page it sent me to a site who owns this site made the donation i could not get off their page had to do a hard reboot. After i did that sort of jumbled my computer put it in a strange mode.

I fought it all day yesterday, went to bed i do not shut my computer down this am everything is good again.

Very strange but happy here!!! I also have blazing speed again! I love computers!!

bob
Old 10-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #3

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Ok gurus I get up this am and the computer is not only fast but blazing fast my radio station plays perfect!

For several days it has been getting draggy even cutting off my router! Anyone else experience these things? My son a computer guru says it something about the pipes out there in cyberland.

I am not a coder, I don't play games on my computer, I read newspapers, do emails, do Amazon, do Ebay and other things.

This computer is a widows 7 works for me and I am not the latest buyer of all things in computerland but this has been a problem for years. When this computer goes I have another windows 7 ready to go I buy them for 100 bux off ebay!

I have all the virus stuff on it and I run it regularly never a thing so that cannot be it.

best regards and thanks

bob
Not enough information to tell you anything. Could be lots of stuff
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #4

Idaho
Quote:
I made a donation on the page it sent me to a site who owns this site made the donation i could not get off their page had to do a hard reboot. After i did that sort of jumbled my computer put it in a strange mode.

I fought it all day yesterday, went to bed i do not shut my computer down this am everything is good again.

Very strange but happy here!!! I also have blazing speed again! I love computers!!

bob
Depending on your browser you can just old LEFT click on the back button and it will show your past sites, you can then go back to one of them. Otherwise you can just control+ult+delete, click on Task Manager, then select your browser and click End Task in the bottom right corner.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:23 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

best regards and thanks

bob

I can make a guess, but that's about it. My guess is that you a virus and your anti-virus software updated over night and killed the infection in you computer. Running Windows 7 automaticly makes you venerable to virus. I strongly suggest that update your operating system to one that is supported and provides updates to take care of the nasties.

I take that back. I think Windows 7 is still supported which would mean that you could have gotten an operating system update from Microsoft.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:30 AM   #6

Missouri

thanks for the reply the first to try to help a 75 year old guy out! This has been a problem ever since I have been computing.

Here recently things have really been good but I saved your comment and I appreciate the way you wrote it.

I used to ask my kids to put icons on my compter front page they would just do it now I still do not know how to do it. I am one of those that has to do it myself with help.

you new guys take things for granted when dealing with old hard headed folks.

thanks

bob
Old 10-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
thanks for the reply the first to try to help a 75 year old guy out! This has been a problem ever since I have been computing.

Here recently things have really been good but I saved your comment and I appreciate the way you wrote it.

I used to ask my kids to put icons on my compter front page they would just do it now I still do not know how to do it. I am one of those that has to do it myself with help.

you new guys take things for granted when dealing with old hard headed folks.

thanks

bob
Google is your friend. When in doubt how to do something, google it. You will find instructions for almost any task. People no longer ask other people questions, they just go straight to google. Better yet, google is available 24/7, so if you have a question in the middle of the night, no reason to wait.

I used to tutor science at a local community college. Invariably, I would get a young student ask me some obscure conversion factor. I had just watch these students spend an hour on a computer, checking Facebook, twitter, whatever. So I would ask them "Did you google it?" They would look at me like a deer in the headlights. I knew if I gave them the factor, the next time they needed another factor, they would either have to find me or be SOL. So I purposely taught them how to fish, rather than just give them a fish. It was amazing that a young person who spent much of their awake hours glued to a computer or phone didn't even consider it as a way to get answers to questions.

Just be sure to not download any software. Questions can be answered without software, downloading stuff brings risk of viruses.

Windows 7 came out in 2009. In the Microsoft world of computing, that is truly ancient. Modern programs are optimized to run on newer operating systems. Per Microsoft, they will no longer give any support for Windows 7 by January 2020. So stockpiling computers that use that system is a bad bet. They already ended mainstream support for Windows 7 in 2015.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:

best regards and thanks

bob
Bob,

The simple answer is to go with something new. It does not have to be the very latest and greatest.

Computers are like cars. We used to be able to file the points and set them with a matchbook cover. And we did, because the blessed things would reliably fail.

Now, I see a 100,000 mile replacement interval on the spark plugs in my newer car.

You can think of this as outsourcing your computer support to Microsoft. They will keep updating your software to implement bug fixes and to update your anti-malware and security features.

Will they mess up? Yes, probably on some occasion; mistakes happen. But, it will place the majority of what you need done in the hands of people that are more qualified than you or me are.

Incidentally, I maintain a computer network here and am on my third-rebuild of my main desktop PC in the past ten years. Everything works, but I have spent a great deal of my time on taking care of various issues. And, I am nowhere near the latest and greatest; I have Windows 8.1 on most machines and use Windows Defender free anti-malware.

Outsourcing this could be just like something you said on a recent post:

Quote:
I took my trailer and tow to my old smart trustworthy mechanic. he wired it up in about 15ms I would still be fooling with it.

as I watched the wires I thought were for one thing were completely different in the wiring world for trailers.

now my 7 pin works and I spent my time on something within my capablilites.

not suggesting otherwise for you just me!

good luck

bob
It's something to consider anyway. Good luck!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #9

Idaho
I am going to disagree with others. There is nothing wrong with running windows 7 and it is not your problem. Many companies and many of my fellow programmers still use windows 7.

It is possible you don't have a malware program running and running one will remove stuff running in the background taking up resources.

You can go to download.com and pick the top rated free malware program and install it. Make sure you click custom install and un-click anything that asks to change your home page.

If you want to upgrade to windows 10 (it is a very good version), you can still get the free upgrade. Just google windows 10 upgrade assistant, or https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Old 10-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #10

Idaho
I assume this is while you travel, it could also just be your distance from the Wi-Fi Router, the quality of the signal (tree's, other RV's in the way, sometimes weather), the number of people on the system, and the quality of the camp's connection.

Airstreams actually have a hard time with Wi-fi and phone signals because it is one large metal tube.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #11

Missouri
gurus

I run a malaware thingee. for 2 weeks now this computer has been just excellent and yes I will keep it. if Microsoft doesn't support it I don't care there will be someone to do it!! hey by 2020 I may be dead and gone who knows!! you know I am 75!!!

get this when windows ten came out they kept sending notes to download it then you would be right on top of things.

I did that guess what I screwed up 2 computers I called Microsoft they fixed them free of charge they admitted what they had done was wrong. they don't run those adds anymore either why is that?

people I do not have an educated mind I have taken no computer classes I have no interest in coding I do know how to search I use it a lot. I primarily use this thing for email, newspaper reading and this site. that is it!

you guys that did the education thing God bless you we need you but you can work out problems out there that make no sense to me. I am glad for you we need people like you but at 75 it is too late for me and I don't know if I really care.

I was trained in business to use a pencil I know crazy but I ran business, ran and owned my own for 35year and yes I started with a computer but all the programs were canned. I had no interest in how they worked but I knew to do a backup well sometimes!

along with this I know what a finachial report looks like I ran one monthly I knew instantly if I wanted what sort of a month I had going. I did quarterly reports for taxes don't forget those you will regret it. I figured out on my own how to run credits no doubt I have forgot by now. so I was a bookkeeper too! if you own a small business you better know this stuff!!

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #12

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Bob,

You asked for a "simple" answer in your original post.

Problems with someone's computer are rarely "simple" and usually can't be figured out without sitting at the keyboard and getting a sense for what's wrong. So, if you are able to keep "messing about" and keeping something older running, then more power to you!

That's basically my technique. If something works "well enough" I (try to) leave it alone. If it doesn't, I Google and "mess about". If I kill it in the process, then the problem is still solved because I then go buy some new part or thing and begin the process all over again until it works.

Unfortunately, "simple" usually means paying someone for the convenience that simplicity brings. If you bought a low-powered Windows 10 machine, it would probably do the trick and basically be "simple" in not requiring much attention.

But I don't know that there are really often any simple answers to keeping something old going other having the perseverance to "keep trying". And it looks to me like you've already got that in spades. So, keep persevering!

Old 10-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #13

Missouri
civalguy

civilguy I once had a 1990 cadilac I drove that car 450k with the aid of a good trustworthy mechanic. People would look at that car and shake their head they didn't realize I was a straight commission salesperson every dollar saved went back into my pocket many weeks I made nothing at all!!

I have been down the new route then need a new car for my route oops I am upside down no one would buy that car. Well they did it went wholesale and the crooked dealers would turn it back and put it on the payroll market. A whole new ballgame who would ever check there no doubt they got it back many times.

I fianally said one time this is it I took the old car had new belts hoses the whole works on it it went another 100k!

just because something is old doesn't mean it wont work. oh here is a idea one time I had a computer crash I called one of those Indain places he said 100.00 to fix it I said I could buy one reconditioned for 100.00 free ups.

he said what do you offer I said 50.00 he said sold he would guarantee his work. after he was done took him maybe 45ms he called back matter of fact he took control of my computer in India. After about 1 week I paid him via c/c. The computer lasted a long time after that.

so whenever this one blows up I have another I don't transfer data or anything don't know how don't want to know. I just put in my favs again as I tool along.

there is more than one way to skin a cat you know!

did I say I am cheap or frugal at 75?

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #14

Missouri
mike

mike do you need a good neighbor I can move next door and aggravate you the rest of my life?

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #15

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
mike do you need a good neighbor I can move next door and aggravate you the rest of my life?

bob
Well, Bob, let's just go ahead a try this for a little while first.

After all, we just met!

Old 10-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #16

Missouri
funny

mike you mean we aren't going steady yet?

don't have too much fun here!!

bob
Old 10-19-2017, 01:10 AM   #17

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
A lot of times when you get the situation of everything being fine and then start experiencing sudden slow downs it has to do with one of the software programs that just updated itself. I pretty much set most everything to not update itself automatically except for the internet browser and the anti virus and malware software. I don't let those security softwares do automatic scanning either. I do that process manually at a time it is convenient for my needs.

I keep my start up list lean and mean and disable all the non essential task that self launch. Things such as Itunes can truly slow things down. Programs that do auto-backups to the Cloud are another huge offender for slow downs. I don't allow those to launch from the start-up menu or do an auto anything. This week I installed a new printer and the first thing I did after getting it setup was go into the start menu and disabled the software from launching itself at the startup and then went into the software and disabled the auto update feature.

You can be the one in control and if you don't do this kind of self management of your software then your computer can indeed suddenly start running like a slug. As soon as I see that happen I give it the "three finger salute" meaning hitting the ctrl-alt-delete keys to see what the heck is happening.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:49 AM   #18

Missouri
too much work too much trouble

bob