Computer Upgrade - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Computer Upgrade

We just replaced our Toshiba Laptop with a Samsung Chromebook.

I dropped the Toshiba and though it still runs, it now runs slow, so I spent $249 and bought a new computer. It is thinner and lighter, has long battery life and boots in about 8 seconds.

It does require a measure of retraining but aligns with our Samsung phones and pad.

It does mean most of our information is out on the 'cloud' now but with today's lack of privacy from the government (spying) keeping information from them is near impossible for the average person (and actually even difficult for friendly European heads of state.)

I really like how quickly it boots and runs on our 3G hotspot.

It's only failing so far is screen brightness, not as bright as our Toshiba.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #2

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Don't worry, I am sure within a week or two it will slow down like your Toshiba. Lol.
If you ever lose your hard drive just ask the NSA if you can get a back up. Can I ask how much your 3G cost a month?
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #3

Florida
Shawn,

There is no traditional hard drive, though there is a 16 gig solid state drive. Everything is stored in the Google Cloud.

All software and apps, like the phone and pad, is automatically upgraded. No anti-virus program required. We had been using Norton Anti-virus on our netbook but over the last 12 months Norton has failed every now and than to function requiring reloading.

We do have a Verizon 3G hotspot. I believe we've had it for about 5 years. It costs $60 a month and allows unlimited data. This plan is no longer available. We use about 10 gigs a month. It's not inexpensive but it's really our only Internet. We're on the road almost 8 months a year and use the hotspot when we're home.

We find the 3G works just about everywhere we travel. We do have a Wilson Booster and small external antenna.

In addition our phones are 4G Samsung 3's. The phones each use about 1Gig of data a month though when we're in the trailer they are typically on 3G.

The 3G works well enough; the 4G is about 5-10 times as fast.

Our Pad and Chromebook both run on the 3G only though we could connect them to the Internet thru our phones.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I've had a Dell xps-13 for about 9months. I love the solid state hard drive. Superfast startup, and runs like a dream.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We recently bought the Mac Air laptop to go with our Apple IPad. We have the Verizon Jetpack for wifi. Works good for us.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

Name: Trent
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Looks like your new toy has a usb3 port and a SD card reader.
You may consider keeping any sensitive data locally on an external drive and not on the cloud. Remember there is no such thing as 100% secure wireless. Have fun with your new toy.
Receo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #7

Florida
Nothing is truly secure when an 'organization' has unlimited resources and is the law.

Their is a usb3 and a usb2 allowing for truly personal information on flash drives.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #8

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Congratulations on the new one,
I've been using a netbook with Solid State 16 g for few years. I got one with Windows XP and the other running on Linux. Got tired of having to pay every other year and the crashing .. so I use Linux now and smartphone
I need to get a WiFi setup.
Most people don't want to know how long it's been going on. I remember a good book I've read..1984.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #9

Florida
Darrell,

I believe that Google Chrome use basically an upgraded Linux operating system.

I know Verizon is expensive, but compared to our earlier 'house' focused life, I don't think the costs are significantly more. All our home systems, cable television, Internet, land line phone have been replaced with road ready systems.

As to Windows XP it is my favorite Windows operating system and is what we use on our Toshiba Netbook. When we get home with more resources I will try to get the Netbook speed functional again.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #10

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We recently bought the Mac Air laptop to go with our Apple IPad. We have the Verizon Jetpack for wifi. Works good for us.
Bob...why did you buy laptop instead of Ipad? Have been thinking about the verizon Jetpack. Can you elect to turntable and not pY for it when not on the road? Verizon guy was trying convince me to buy Ipad with Internet connection that is another monthly fee and use that as the hotspot. All very confusing. I try to compare monthly costs but can't figure out the least costly way to go. Have considered dropping my home time Warner internet connection ($59 a month)and going with the hotspot but have read bad reviews about it...seems like very time I go to Verizon, their solution costs me more monthly fees. Anyone have this figured out?
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #11

Florida
We have both a Samsung Pad and a Chromebook Laptop along with our smart phones. Our reasoning for both the Pad and Laptop is because the Laptop is easier to type on. The Pad is fine for surfing, maybe even better than the laptop.

We have the Swift Key app for both the phones and Pad, though it works very well, it's no replacement for a traditional keyboard.

We've used our 3G hotspot at home for years and we'll often have 4 people on it at a time and seems to meet their needs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #12

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

As to Windows XP it is my favorite Windows operating system and is what we use on our Toshiba Netbook. When we get home with more resources I will try to get the Netbook speed functional again.
I upgraded my wi-fi last week and neither of our old XP laptops would talk to the new network. Nancy's wouldn't even recognize that a wi-fi network existed so I assume that was an issue with the wi-fi card using the oldest wi-fi standard. My old laptop recognized the network but couldn't connect. I believe that was because of the stronger security, WPA2, which wasn't available on either of the old XP machines.

Now, Nancy has a new Windows 8 laptop, which has a little bit of a learning curve but, I was able to transfer all her documents, photos, bookmarks and emails from the old machine. My old XP machine was only living as a backup to hers in case it BSODed as it did several months ago. As soon as I finish wiping the hard drives the old XP machines are off to the recycling center.

I transitioned to a MacBook last year so along with the desktop PC, the only operating systems we're using now are Windows 7, Windows 8, OSX-Mavericks, OSi7, Kindle Fire/Android. Ain't technology great!

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #13

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
All software and apps, like the phone and pad, is automatically upgraded. No anti-virus program required. We had been using Norton Anti-virus on our netbook but over the last 12 months Norton has failed every now and than to function requiring reloading.
Whether you use Norton or something else you DO NEED ANTI VIRUS. The cloud wont do beans for you if a root-kit virus hits you machine. Don't bet the farm on the cloud, either. There have been outages and people have lost things. If you don't want the universe to bite you in the buns, do local backups. Don't believe all the hype... if you don't hold a backup in your warm little paws, you are not fully protected.

I speak via nearly 40 years in the computer industry. You don't know how many times over those four decades I've heard "But I thought we were protected and all our data safe! They promised!"
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #14

Florida
Approaching Ancient

I'm really old now and have been living with computers what seems forever. We do backup and always carry a number of flash drives.

As well we carry the multi-platform backup as well, most things are on the Smartphones, Samsung Pad and now the Chromebook.

The main issue seems to be that backup media becomes obsolete. I remember closing down a DEC computer system in an early business and having a pile of 8" discs with computer data with really nothing to easily read them on.

The back up media changes almost as fast the operating systems.

The big danger is from something like an EMP.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #15

Minnesota
Registry
Man, if EMP is going to knock out your flash drives & computer... it's probably knocked YOU out as well. Just keep updating your not-on-the-cloud stuff to the current media and you'll be ok.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #16

Name: Trent
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
I love where this thread is going. Here's a picture of a faraday cage that would protect your back up drives and serve a double purpose in the event of an EMP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2589068086.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	66627

Cheers!
Receo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #17

Minnesota
Registry