Conceal carry of fireams while traveling - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #15

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Military bases

I think it was always the rule but since the Ft. Hood incident when entering bases with my camper they always ask if I have a weapon. If you do, you have to turn it in to security before you enter the base. They will return it to you when you leave.
Eddie

Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Doesn't concealed carry apply only to firearms on your person and not in plain sight? Surely locked in the trunk of your car wouldn't apply?
But then in IllAnnoy it was against the law to build-in any secret compartment into your vehicle. In Seattle I've heard it's against the law to possess a gas mask.
The rule of thumb for all you non-lawyer types is...If it ain't taxed, it must be illegal!
Can you carry a toolbox or a jack handle when crossing the border? I've heard Macgyver could kill you with a paperclip, and styrofoam cups mixed with gasoline makes a nice "napalm".

Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #17

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Wow. I have learned a lot about Canada. I went there once and it is beautiful. Under the circumstances I don't think I will be going back.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Crossing the Border

We crossed the border once ata small crossing in northern Montana. Four Canadian Border patrol members came out and seperated Ginny and I asking if we had a gun, suggesting that they had the means to find guns. They spoke to us seperately and simultaneously.

One of the crossing people asked Ginny how she was going to protect herself in Canada.

Clever Ginny said she didn't know she needed to protect herself from Canadians.

That broke them up and we were on our way.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Wow. I have learned a lot about Canada. I went there once and it is beautiful. Under the circumstances I don't think I will be going back.
Not sure what you have heard, but circumstances in Canada are very good right now. No civil war, no major storms (can be cold in winter though), and no plagues. Lots of great places to visit, and some darn friendly folks about too.

Oh yeah, and we like beer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Clever Ginny said she didn't know she needed to protect herself from Canadians.

That broke them up and we were on our way.
A wise negotiator you have yourself there, Norm.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
I think Canada is the last frontier but with way more tougher laws. Canada being bigger than the US has less population that the state of California. But they appear to be doing something right as compared to the chaos we sometimes experience south of the border here.
My first visit was eye opening, yes I was aware of the gun laws, that is the reason they ask you for your tag#, there is a cross reference of concealed permits to carry and your vehicle tag#. This could happen any where in the states also but it is not enforced between permit and non permit states.

I give Canada a star for this as well as having a cleaner and nicer environment. Perhaps their rules maybe an attempt to keep the chaos here in the lower 48's.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #22

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
One thing I've seen in my international travels over the years is that many US folks seem to think US laws apply to them since they are, well, US citizens. As soon as you cross the border you are under <insert country name here>'s laws. As with any country that's a democracy you have to remember that laws ultimately come from the electorate. Saying "That Dern Gov'mnt" is <insert something you don't like> is missing the point that the government came from the people. Strong gun laws in Canada? Maybe that's because the people in Canada elected folks that support strong gun laws. (Biting tongue now to avoid a rant...)
Old 10-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Not sure what circumstances someone may have heard that might make them think Canada is not a great country to visit. The Economist in July released their list of the top 10 Worlds Most Livable Cities based on stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education, and infrastructure. Three Canadian cities Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary snagged 3 of the top 5 spots.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #24

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I checked the homicide numbers for the US and Canada. Canada has a rate of 1.62 per 100,000 persons for 2011. The last number I saw for the US was 4.2 in 2010. There is no augument that Canada is safer. BUT. I am not crazy about being disarmed anywhere but I have traveled all over the world without firearms. What bothers me is the contention that a person should not defend themselves. That 1.62 person out of 100,000 is just as dead as the 5 people in 100,00 in the US. That the government would be worried that a little old lady with pepper spray rather than being concerned for the citizen just blows my mind.

By the way, the last time I was in Canada (1980's) the beer was excellent!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I've met some really nice people from Canada. They seem to have some understand many US traits, except the paranoia. I was recently asked, "What's with Americans and they guns?" The only answer is paranoia. Most wouldn't even consider carry around a loaded gun to protect themselves from the "bad guy".
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
let's return to the original topic, please
Old 10-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
In regards to the topic of carrying guns in the trailer - Canadians are also subject to trailer searches for firearms when going into the US as well. A few weeks ago a group of us attended a trailer rally to the south. At the border one of the parties who has made many trips into the US and a number of them over this summer was asked for the first time ever if he was carrying any firearms. He was told they had reason to believe he was carrying one and wanted to search the trailer. The party indicated he not only wasnt carrying a gun but that he actually didnt own any. He handed over the keys and they searched for about 10 min. found nothing. Afterwards he asked the border staff why/what was new in the computer that made them believe he was carrying and they wouldn't say. If it happens again he may make a visit to the Canadian side to enquire what new item of info is in the shared data base that would make the US side think he owned/carried a gun.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #28

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
At the border one of the parties ... was asked for the first time ever if he was carrying any firearms. He was told they had reason to believe he was carrying one and wanted to search the trailer.

If it happens again he may make a visit to the Canadian side to inquire what new item of info is in the shared data base that would make the US side think he owned/carried a gun.
"Reason to believe" does not necessarily mean that they have specific data on him personally. It is legalese for "I want to take a closer look but I cannot tell you why." It may mean nothing more than they have experienced other people smuggling items in their RV's and they are paying closer attention to RVs now than they were before.