Conceal carry of fireams while traveling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Conceal carry of fireams while traveling

No doubt some of us have firearms that we take along on trips for personal protection. If you have a conceal carry permit to go with that you need to know which states have reciprocity with yours. If you don't know it you can get a Utah permit even though you aren't a citizen of Utah. Their permit is recognized by the most states. I believe there are a couple others like that also. If you wonder what states recognize yours here is a source for that.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/tra...r&utm_content=
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:53 AM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Thanks that will come in handy.
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
ccp

I believe that with a Utah permit 33 states either will recognize it or have reciprocal agreements. Florida only accepts it if you are a Utah resident. But, Florida permits are available also.
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
ccp

TO Kirkman from NY: To get a Utah permit you must take a short four hour course but ,it is not necessary to have a permit from your home State. Just a thought for people living in difficult places.
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Travelers Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States
Gunlaws for the 50 States

Have it with you so you can research and show the local enforcer should he/she not know the law.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #6

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.mike View Post
TO Kirkman from NY: To get a Utah permit you must take a short four hour course but ,it is not necessary to have a permit from your home State. Just a thought for people living in difficult places.

Thanks h.mike,
I already have permits in NY and Pa. Is a handy web sight to know who lets you carry!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #7

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Thanks, good for the members to know.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
An interesting little note: Florida's permit is for concealed "weapons." This includes stun guns, billy clubs, and knives in addition to firearms. Not good for these weapons in states with reciprocity where their permits are only for firearms, however.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #9

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I have never packed any type of firearm to go camping. Don't intend to either. Those thinking of entering Canada need to do some checking first - I think we have some laws on that topic - I'm not familiar with them but have seen notices stating they have to be locked in our nearby Provincial Park.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Link to Previous Discussion on this Subject

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rms-36371.html
Old 10-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #11

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Definitely check Canadian laws... I know I get queried about firearms when I cross the border.

One thing to make sure of (and this should go without saying!) that your firearms are well secured when in your trailer. Some of the doors (most?) aren't exactly what I'd call "secure". A weapon in a drawer is not secure even if the trailer door is locked.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
Definitely check Canadian laws... I know I get queried about firearms when I cross the border. .
Yup you sure will! Canada has 3 levels of classifications when it comes to weapons. Restricted, Non restricted and Prohibited.

Just some of the rules are:

You would need to fill out an Approval of the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration in triplicate if you want to bring a Non restricted shoot gun or hunting rife into Canada and it will need to be stored correctly as well. It needs to be signed at the border and in front of border officials.

Some of the Restricted firearms include handguns with a barrel over 4", pepper spray and mace. A restricted firearm may be brought into Canada, but an Authorization to Transport (ATT) permit must also be obtained in advance from a Provincial or Territorial Chief Firearms Officer. The ATT will not be issued for hunting or self-protection purposes.

Prohibited firearms are not allowed in at all and they include fully automatic, converted automatics, assault-type weapons and handguns with a barrel length less than 105mm (4 inches), replicas of such weapons and certain knives.

Border officials will seize any firearms from persons crossing the border who deny having them in their possession - once seized they are not returned. The gun owner is not given the option to withdraw the request to enter Canada and return to the U.S. in order to keep possession of the prohibited firearm.

As indicated thats just some of the regulations so your best to read up on all the rules before going to the border.

Or just leave the firearms at home or use a commercial storage facility on the US side of the border to store them while you travel in Canada. Canadian's will thank you for doing that!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Dwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup you sure will! Canada has 3 levels of classifications when it comes to weapons. Restricted, Non restricted and Prohibited.

Just some of the rules are:

You would need to fill out an Approval of the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration in triplicate if you want to bring a Non restricted shoot gun or hunting rife into Canada and it will need to be stored correctly as well. It needs to be signed at the border and in front of border officials.

Some of the Restricted firearms include handguns with a barrel over 4", pepper spray and mace. A restricted firearm may be brought into Canada, but an Authorization to Transport (ATT) permit must also be obtained in advance from a Provincial or Territorial Chief Firearms Officer. The ATT will not be issued for hunting or self-protection purposes.

Prohibited firearms are not allowed in at all and they include fully automatic, converted automatics, assault-type weapons and handguns with a barrel length less than 105mm (4 inches), replicas of such weapons and certain knives.

Border officials will seize any firearms from persons crossing the border who deny having them in their possession - once seized they are not returned. The gun owner is not given the option to withdraw the request to enter Canada and return to the U.S. in order to keep possession of the prohibited firearm.

As indicated thats just some of the regulations so your best to read up on all the rules before going to the border.

Or just leave the firearms at home or use a commercial storage facility on the US side of the border to store them while you travel in Canada. Canadian's will thank you for doing that!
Canada is also far ahead of the USA in laws concerning driving under the influence of alcohol . Every time I enter Canada I am asked if I have a DWI conviction which is a felony in Canada and prevents you from entering the country. In Wisconsin where I live your first DWI is a misdemeanor and considered the same as a parking ticket . My friends wife just got convicted of her 4th DWI in Wisconsin and she did no jail time , paid a small fine and went to a short dry out class . A recent survey made by the State of Wisconsin in my area showed one third of the area residents on a Friday or Saturday night are driving under the influence. I would feel a lot safer if the drunks were off the roads and unfortunately a firearm is no protection from a drunk driver
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Steve, your right on re the DUI - especially when visiting BC which has the toughest laws in the country. For years a DUI resulted in automatic criminal record but a few years ago they introduced a new Immediate Roadside Prohibitions - which if you go along with the findings of the police at the Road side no questions asked you can avoid the criminal courts - assuming you have never out right failed a test previously.

At the roadside if a peace officer suspects you are impaired they can request you take a breath test. You can take two tests with different machines if you wish.

If the device reads WARN Your breath sample is 0.05 to 0.08 police will:

Seize your driver’s licence
Issue you a 'Notice of Prohibition' which will start immediately – removing your driving privileges – the length of which depends on prior IRP warning convictions (if any)
3-day driving prohibition if it is the first time caught in the warn range;
7-day driving prohibition if it is the second time caught in the warn range within five years; or
30-day driving prohibition if it is the third time caught in the warn range within five years.
Vehicle impoundment is discretionary for 3 and 7 day prohibitions. Vehicle 30 day impoundment is mandatory for 30 or 90-day. Participation in the Ignition Interlock and Responsible Driver Program are required for 30 and 90-day prohibitions. In addition, there are monetary penalties under the warning system ranging from $600 for the 3 day warning to about $4000 for the 3rd time warning.

If the ASD reads FAIL over 0.08, or if you refuse to provide a breath sample, police will:
Seize your driver’s licence & car
Issue you a 'Notice of Prohibition' which will start immediately – removing your driving privileges for 90 days
Alternatively, you may be served an Administrative Driving Prohibition, and charged criminally under the Criminal Code of Canada for Impaired Driving.
upon your 1st Conviction — a 1-3 year driving prohibition (plus minimum $1000 penalty)
upon your 2nd Conviction — a 2-5 year driving prohibition (plus minimum 30 days imprisonment)
upon your 3rd Conviction — a minimum 3 year to-lifetime driving prohibition (plus minimum 120 days imprisonment)

Bottom line best not to have more than one beer or one glass of wine before driving a car in BC.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Military bases

I think it was always the rule but since the Ft. Hood incident when entering bases with my camper they always ask if I have a weapon. If you do, you have to turn it in to security before you enter the base. They will return it to you when you leave.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Doesn't concealed carry apply only to firearms on your person and not in plain sight? Surely locked in the trunk of your car wouldn't apply?
But then in IllAnnoy it was against the law to build-in any secret compartment into your vehicle. In Seattle I've heard it's against the law to possess a gas mask.
The rule of thumb for all you non-lawyer types is...If it ain't taxed, it must be illegal!
Can you carry a toolbox or a jack handle when crossing the border? I've heard Macgyver could kill you with a paperclip, and styrofoam cups mixed with gasoline makes a nice "napalm".
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #17

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Wow. I have learned a lot about Canada. I went there once and it is beautiful. Under the circumstances I don't think I will be going back.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Crossing the Border

We crossed the border once ata small crossing in northern Montana. Four Canadian Border patrol members came out and seperated Ginny and I asking if we had a gun, suggesting that they had the means to find guns. They spoke to us seperately and simultaneously.

One of the crossing people asked Ginny how she was going to protect herself in Canada.

Clever Ginny said she didn't know she needed to protect herself from Canadians.

That broke them up and we were on our way.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Wow. I have learned a lot about Canada. I went there once and it is beautiful. Under the circumstances I don't think I will be going back.
Not sure what you have heard, but circumstances in Canada are very good right now. No civil war, no major storms (can be cold in winter though), and no plagues. Lots of great places to visit, and some darn friendly folks about too.

Oh yeah, and we like beer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Clever Ginny said she didn't know she needed to protect herself from Canadians.

That broke them up and we were on our way.
A wise negotiator you have yourself there, Norm.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote