Connections to manufacturers - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
This may relate to the history of our trailers, but has anybody ever mapped out the connections between the various plants? I did tonight! It was an interesting discovery and quite possibly links many of our trailers.

The boler, Winnipeg, MB
Scamp, Backus, MN
Tri-Fab in Tripoli, IA
Eco in Aurora, NE
boler American, Wichita, KS
Casita, Rice, TX

Link to the google maps route

Interesting? Thoughts or comments?

What do you think the likelyhood of organizing a Glass "caravan" tour might be?
__________________

__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:05 AM   #2
Commercial Member
 
Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Posts: 632
Roy, You left some out like Trillium, Bigfoot and Escape. Is Eco still in business?
Chuck
__________________

__________________
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,052
Registry
Very cool, all in the central area of the USA .
__________________
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,815
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Roy... I think that there were several reasons for the locations of the mfg. plants after Winnipeg. Rural locals were inexpensive, away from populated areas for fire hazzards, and brought jobs to areas of low employment. A good source of shipping( RRX or HWY) close by is essential. My 2c. worth.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
pjanits's Avatar
 
Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Posts: 881
And it was warmer
__________________
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
james kent's Avatar
 
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Posts: 2,938
Very interresting, Roy
They are all roughly six hours apart or a good days towing. The highway pictures with the map description, once you got into Nabraska, were interresting. How about adding the two Boler plant locations in Ontario just to get some of us Eastern'rs headed towards Manitoba. You know, up to Midhurst near Barrie and then to Earlton in N Ont, and then on to Winnipeg picking up trailerites along the way. Add in all the FG plants from Chillywack Eastward for the Westerners and a meet-up ,maybe,near Portage La Prarie.
I'd say that YOU"VE got yourself an ambitious project. Man, I sure wouldn't want to take that on.
How to talk everyone into taking vacation time at the SAME time?
How many units on each leg of journey?
Which campground is best?
How many campsite permits needed each location?
Who needs water, hydro and sewage and who doesn't?
How many added since last stop?
How many have dropped out along the way?
What about breakdowns? Do you just leave the poor guy on his own?
How to communicate with each other while on the road?
Is there a pecking order? The poor guy at the tail end will get there tomorrow if there's too many tag up.
? ? ? ? ?
AND You've got to please us all.
It would be like organizing a a get-to-gether for every day of the trip, in each province and each state. But if anyone ever pulled something like this off, it would be the talk of the FG forums for months to come. What with winter comming, perhaps it would be a good topic to ward off the cold weather.

"THE FANTASY TOUR"
Everyone gets a chance to add features and suggestions to the tour.
Start with a general route description and see where it goes.
Holy Cow Roy, look what you started.
__________________
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Posts: 336
Quote:
Very interresting, Roy
They are all roughly six hours apart or a good days towing. The highway pictures with the map description, once you got into Nabraska, were interresting. How about adding the two Boler plant locations in Ontario just to get some of us Eastern'rs headed towards Manitoba. You know, up to Midhurst near Barrie and then to Earlton in N Ont, and then on to Winnipeg picking up trailerites along the way. Add in all the FG plants from Chillywack Eastward for the Westerners and a meet-up ,maybe,near Portage La Prarie.
I'd say that YOU"VE got yourself an ambitious project. Man, I sure wouldn't want to take that on.
How to talk everyone into taking vacation time at the SAME time?
How many units on each leg of journey?
Which campground is best?
How many campsite permits needed each location?
Who needs water, hydro and sewage and who doesn't?
How many added since last stop?
How many have dropped out along the way?
What about breakdowns? Do you just leave the poor guy on his own?
How to communicate with each other while on the road?
Is there a pecking order? The poor guy at the tail end will get there tomorrow if there's too many tag up.
? ? ? ? ?
AND You've got to please us all.
It would be like organizing a a get-to-gether for every day of the trip, in each province and each state. But if anyone ever pulled something like this off, it would be the talk of the FG forums for months to come. What with winter comming, perhaps it would be a good topic to ward off the cold weather.

"THE FANTASY TOUR"
Everyone gets a chance to add features and suggestions to the tour.
Start with a general route description and see where it goes.
Holy Cow Roy, look what you started.
Why not? The Airstream people did it for years...Assign each of us big red numbers to go on the front of our eggs...
__________________
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:16 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
You left some out like Trillium, Bigfoot and Escape. Is Eco still in business?
Ooops, guess I forgot to mention I was looking at the boler and it's prodigy.
More specifically, I was looking at the failed boler American and who might have produced them and what became of them.

I don't think the Eco was around for long.
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:00 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Rural locals were inexpensive, away from populated areas for fire hazzards, and brought jobs to areas of low employment. A good source of shipping( RRX or HWY) close by is essential.
You got it Alf,
This gets me to wondering why N & S Dakota were left out of the equation? They were more in line with a direct route to Wichita, KS from Winnipeg. Tax or labour laws? Wages? Skilled labour?
The page on the boler American startup indicates the staff were trained in Winnipeg. It says the "first three plants ... in three north central states". I assume they were in Backus MN, Tripoli IA and Aurora NE. The article says 3 molds were made (I'd assume one for each plant) with 2 more on the way. That may provide a clue to the serial numbering of the boler American.

I'm not sure how they planned to make a minimum of 5000 units in the first year of production. Maybe that was a typo, 500 seems more realistic since it took 4 years for the Canadian boler to get up to 1000 units in two plants.

Maybe Reace can let us know how long it takes to make a single body.
__________________

__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NW connections....can you help? Penney H. & Mike E. General Chat 0 04-07-2010 01:50 PM
Need some education on FRV manufacturers Bruce Wray General Chat 19 01-11-2009 05:08 PM
Battery Connections dlehman Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 19 05-19-2007 10:19 AM
What manufacturers are still in business? E Varga General Chat 11 04-09-2006 05:19 AM
Current manufacturers? Vic Redding General Chat 5 12-10-2005 12:28 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.