Considering 17.5 Bigfoot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I have a '92 Bigfoot 19'. It is a four season trailer: fully insulated. It is a bit heavy due to all the wood, but it is well built and I am happy to own it. I have camped in the rockies in 30 degree temps without heat (long story), and was very comfortable due to the superior insulation.

What is nice about these trailers is they are wider than the Scamps or Casitas, well insulated (if you get one with the 4 season option), and can be had for a good price. The '80s and early to mid '90 models were built by the original owner of Bigfoot and are high quality trailers.

If you can find decently priced earlier model (that has been well maintained), you'll get good value. For your $$ you get full galley with an oven & a 4 burner stove, a marine bath, built in propane heater and loads of storage space.

But ... beware of the bed size. The center bathroom model of the Bigfoot 17's are shorter when compared to the rear bathroom models. Also, you really cannot fit 1 adults into one bed, and you will have to sleep separately with one person in the Dinette & the other in the gaucho couch. If you are tall and need a longer bed, you may have to look elsewhere.

BTW, Deb & Chuck are "the authorities" on Bigfoots. I think it is significant that they have "moved on" to Escape trailers.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #16

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
I have a '05 17.5G Bigfoot and couldn't be happier with it. Quality all the way. The '05s have a thicker foam insulation, 1 1/2" and are about 6" wider than previous models....makes a real difference in interior space. Also has the dual pane windows for 4 season camping. Yes, it weighs more than some, but my Tundra 4.7 hardly knows it's back there. Make a trip out to B.C. and check out this Dealer.... Bigfoot Campers
The Bigfoot Factory has a special on now for US buyers.... Bigfoot RV - Motorhome, Truck Camper, Travel Trailer - Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer - What's New at Bigfoot

Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #17

Name: Dan
Trailer: Looking
Minnesota
Thanks Jane and Don, I do appreciate all the friendly advice and information I'm getting on this. Whatever trailer I might end up with, it will be parked on some land we have for the most part. I'm thinking that weight won't be so much of an issue. And that the Bigfoot insulated model might be of greater advantage to us.
Jane, thanks for pointing out the bed sizes. I'll be sure to put that on my check list.
Don, I went to the Bigfoot website and it looks like the specials are only for the 21fb model and some campers. Do they have deals on the 17.5 models too?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #18

Ontario
Dan....sorry, can't answer your question about specials on the 17' model. There is a link to the Bigfoot email address for you to ask questions directly to them. What you gain in the 21' models is a permanently made up bed as well as the dual axles. Of course, more weight. Don
Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
With a used Bigfoot, don't ASSUME you're getting a four-season trailer. That was an option and many chose not to pay the additional expense.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #20
jck

Name: James
Trailer: Big Foot
Colorado
Dan,
You will be happy with the BigFoot! I purchased a 2006 21FB in November and took it to Northwest Kansas in December. Daytime highs were 15 degrees
and the night time lows were between 5 to 10 below F. I was boondocked in open terrain with 12 inches of snow and never had a problem. All of the water
systems worked perfectly and I only used half of a 30lb tank of propane in 5 days. I only ran the generator each night while I cooked and couldn't have been more comfortable. I have never been in a trailer that feels less confining. I am sure you will be just as happy with the 17.5. Jim
Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #21

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Wisconsin
Dan, We have a 2003 17 foot BF. As Donna says not all are 4 season, our's isn't, but we don't winter camp anyway. Our center bath layout has a very small rear couch/slide out bed, in fact smaller than the Scamp's table/bed. We make due since we leave the front as dining area. We are average size, but still very tight in the 70" X 40" bed. You learn to accomodate each other. The gaucho layout may be better, if more space is critical, but the center bath gives more floor space and windows. I think Don's looks to be the gaucho layout, and I believe the width is the same as ours (8 foot).
I spoke to the BF factory last summer and they said they were making "a few" 21 footers and planning for a 17.5. I don't think the rear bed in the 17.5 is any bigger than the 17, but unsure.
Good luck, Tony
Old 04-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
A 2002 17' Bigfoot which looks pretty nice for sale in White Rock BC right now. Its on Craigslist here.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M K View Post
Thanks Carol and Donna, I should of said I have not seen many in Michigan. I might just have to make a road trip someday out west, as those 19 footers sure look nice.
This one came up today, (yes I will post it in the referrals section).

http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-...AdIdZ370437795
Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #24

Ontario
Dan.....if you go to post # 8 of this thread, you'll see interior photo's of my 17.5 G with the side Gaucho.....which gave us the most floor space of 17s and 21s.....we saw them all at the dealer when we purchased ours.

Hello from Canada.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The 1500 series (17 ft) Bigfoot was made for more than 20 years and with 3 different models each year (Standard, Deluxe, & Spiritwing). Add different floorplans (center bath, rear bath, gaucho, etc.) and there are too many variables to count. Then Bigfoot adds the 2500 series (17.5 ft) to the lineup. It's hard to compare unless they are parked side to side. I can tell you that my very early 1500 series 15B17G has 1" styrofoam in the walls, roof, and floor. It does not have dual pane windows. The interior is 159" x 93" and 76" high. The front (dinette) bed is 44" x 80" ,the rear (gaucho) bed is 46" x 78", and the bunk bed is 35" x 76". The trailer weighs 2400 lbs.

1980 Bigfoot :: kitchen picture by tomNjo - Photobucket
Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M K View Post
I also think the Escapes and the Bigfoots are very nice, just do not see many used in the States, and buying new seems pretty expensive, although they are pretty well built. I keep looking.
Steve, Escape started in production in 2003, 2009 was the first year of the 19ft. It will be a few years before you see many Escapes used.
Chuck
Old 04-12-2012, 02:20 AM   #27

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Dunsmore View Post
Dan.....if you go to post # 8 of this thread, you'll see interior photo's of my 17.5 G with the side Gaucho.....which gave us the most floor space of 17s and 21s.....we saw them all at the dealer when we purchased ours.

Hello from Canada.
Hi Don, I tried finding your photos, but wasn’t successful. Do you mean #8 by Carol H? I clicked on the links she posted but wasn’t sure if that is what you meant.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #28

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
With a used Bigfoot, don't ASSUME you're getting a four-season trailer. That was an option and many chose not to pay the additional expense.
Thanks Donna, I assume these trailers all come with the same insulation? is the difference mainly with the thermal windows and heated tanks?

Tags
bigfoot