Considering 17.5 Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: Looking
Minnesota
Posts: 14
Considering 17.5 Bigfoot

Hi all,
We recently found this forum while trying to determine the trailer that would suit our needs best. We looked at Scamps, Casita’s and others, but ultimately think that the Bigfoot 17.5 models would be our #1 choice. It appears that the 2005 model year was the first to use foam insulation, so we’ve focused on that year up to the present.
Questions-
What are the differences between these model years? Are there any?
How about the last year before they closed the doors, did they take any shortcuts?
Thanks.
__________________

__________________
1down4up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Commercial Member
 
Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1down4up View Post
Hi all,
We recently found this forum while trying to determine the trailer that would suit our needs best. We looked at Scamps, Casita’s and others, but ultimately think that the Bigfoot 17.5 models would be our #1 choice. It appears that the 2005 model year was the first to use foam insulation, so we’ve focused on that year up to the present.
Questions-
What are the differences between these model years? Are there any?
How about the last year before they closed the doors, did they take any shortcuts?
Thanks.
Take a look at the Escape made in Canada. Bigfoot used the foam insulation since the 1980's. Go look at the Bigfoot Owners website forum. Bigfoot made the 17 for many years until the 2000 yrs when they changed the model to 17.5. they only made 2 floor plans a Center Bath and a gaucho, 2009 they made a few front bed units until the factory closed. Bigfoot's are heavy. I have owned six Bigfoot's before buying a 19ft Escape.
Chuck
__________________

__________________
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: Looking
Minnesota
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
Take a look at the Escape made in Canada. Bigfoot used the foam insulation since the 1980's. Go look at the Bigfoot Owners website forum. Bigfoot made the 17 for many years until the 2000 yrs when they changed the model to 17.5. they only made 2 floor plans a Center Bath and a gaucho, 2009 they made a few front bed units until the factory closed. Bigfoot's are heavy. I have owned six Bigfoot's before buying a 19ft Escape.
Chuck
Thanks Chuck, I appreciate your input. I read somewhere that Bigfoot didn’t insulate their 17.5 model until 2005. But you know how it is regarding anything you read on the internet.
Thanks for opening my eyes to the Escape. I looked on their website and see that the interior height is 6’5”, that is a big plus. The prices of their new models compete with used Bigfoot prices too. Best regards, Dan
__________________
1down4up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Robin G's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1down4up View Post
Hi all,
did they take any shortcuts?
Thanks.


From my experience of just seeing Bigfoot's. They didn't take shortcuts! Sorry, can't help with the differences, but wanted to say the Bigfoot's I have seen are beauticul trailers.


Good luck finding one........................
__________________
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Posts: 541
Registry
I bought a used 1991 17 foot gaucho and am pleased with it. In later years the weight went up considerable mine fully loaded comes in at 2800 pounds.

As for insulation the big difference is the double glazed windows and insulated tanks in the newer units. Quality has always been one of the strongest points with Bigfoot.
If your over six feet tall pay careful attention to the bed length.

Escape I also looked at and had I been able to get one in my price range would have.
The fact that I found a great clean seldom used Bigfoot for a good price with everything in proper working order made the decision easy and I have no regret buying.
__________________
Daniel A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Member
 
Steve M K's Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 17 ft Casita SD 2012(sold) looking again
Michigan
Posts: 61
I also think the Escapes and the Bigfoots are very nice, just do not see many used in the States, and buying new seems pretty expensive, although they are pretty well built. I keep looking.
__________________
Steve M K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: Looking
Minnesota
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
From my experience of just seeing Bigfoot's. They didn't take shortcuts! Sorry, can't help with the differences, but wanted to say the Bigfoot's I have seen are beauticul trailers.


Good luck finding one........................
Thanks Robin. I have yet to see a Bigfoot in person, here in Minnesota they are pretty rare. But judging from pictures, I would agree with you about how nice they look.
__________________
1down4up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M K View Post
I also think the Escapes and the Bigfoots are very nice, just do not see many used in the States, and buying new seems pretty expensive, although they are pretty well built. I keep looking.
Steve you need to spend more time on the US west coast and mid west

The number of Escapes at the Bandon meet each year has grown to the point that I am pretty sure that last year they where #2 most popular trailer as far as the number of them at the meet. I seem to recall Casita still held the top spot but only by a few and Scamp slid to #3? Perhaps someone who kept the numbers could confirm thats correct. I would not be shocked if in a couple of years they where to take top spot as far as numbers go at that meet.

Last Nov/Dec I did a trip through 7 states and went down as far a Arizona and can tell you I saw more Escapes on the road & out in the desert than any other model of fiberglass trailer. Since they have started making the 19' a few used 17' have started to appear of the market so picking one up used has gotten a bit easier.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
There's three Escapes for sale right now, posted on Escape Trailer Industries website. From $11,000 - $20,800. Trailers are posted on the home page, left side... near the bottom.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Tim Wood's Avatar
 
Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Posts: 747
Dan, One thing to think about should you get the 17.5 Bigfoot, which is a very nice trailer. Is its on the heavy side, so just make sure you have the right tow vehicle to pull the 17.5 . I can't speak for the Escape for towing, but have seen them and they too are very well made trailers. I had a 93 17' and really liked it very much.
__________________
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
Member
 
Steve M K's Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 17 ft Casita SD 2012(sold) looking again
Michigan
Posts: 61
Thanks Carol and Donna, I should of said I have not seen many in Michigan. I might just have to make a road trip someday out west, as those 19 footers sure look nice.
__________________
Steve M K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: Looking
Minnesota
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Dan, One thing to think about should you get the 17.5 Bigfoot, which is a very nice trailer. Is its on the heavy side, so just make sure you have the right tow vehicle to pull the 17.5 . I can't speak for the Escape for towing, but have seen them and they too are very well made trailers. I had a 93 17' and really liked it very much.
Thanks Tim. I think we're going to have to make a trip to the Northwest or go to some rallies close by and check some of these out. The Escapes do look more aerodynamic than the Bigfoot, but I really would like to see them up close other than just in pictures.
__________________
1down4up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1down4up View Post
Thanks Tim. I think we're going to have to make a trip to the Northwest or go to some rallies close by and check some of these out. The Escapes do look more aerodynamic than the Bigfoot, but I really would like to see them up close other than just in pictures.
Tim, you can also just call Escape and ask them to refer you to an owner near you to take a look at one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: Looking
Minnesota
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Tim, you can also just call Escape and ask them to refer you to an owner near you to take a look at one.
I'll have to do that, thanks.
__________________

__________________
1down4up is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bigfoot


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.