Considering New Bigfoot Trailer 25B25RQ Purchase: Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #1

Name: Kelvin
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Missouri
Considering New Bigfoot Trailer 25B25RQ Purchase: Questions

We currently have an 2008 Airstream Classic 25fb and while we like it we can see the advantages of the Bigfoot 25B25RQ; fiberglass, better insulated, lighter, and more wardrobe space for our anticipated extended travels in a few years.

However, I will have to purchase site unseen from a US dealer. While there are a few photos at some US dealers and the Bigfoot website its not the same as seeing one in person. I've contacted several people, one from the Airstream forums who switched to a BF 25RQ in 2006 and a work colleague who had a 25RQ about the same time and they gave the Bigfoot glowing reviews.

So I have a bunch questions:
Is the optional front cargo worth it. It extends the overall length from 25' 6" to 28' 6". I tow with a 2010 Toyota Tundra pickup with a tonneau cover so I have extra space to store items. We like to frequent national park campgrounds an are wondering if 28' will be more restrictive.

If I don't order the front cargo option, will I still be able to have two 6v or 12v batteries?

Do the propane/cargo covers over the frame get in the way of installing a weight distribution hitch. I current have an Equalizer on my Airstream and the L brackets on the tongue look like could they be interfered by the propane cover.

What is the real work tongue weight of the 25RQ; with and without the front cargo option. It seem the factory extends the frame for the cargo option so will the tongue weight be heavier (disregarding what is loaded in the locking bins).

What are the dimensions of the dinette table. Can 4 adults sit at this table or is it only a 2 person table?

How thick are the dinette area cushions.

What is the queen bed mattress like. Is it comfortable?

Do the Fantastic Fans installed have the rain sensor to close the vent?

Does the factory install a microwave or is it a microwave/convection oven. If it's just a microwave can a Dometic or Sharp MW/Convection be installed later?

Is the roll away shower door easy to open/close and is it reliable? Does it roll inside the frame work of the shower on the bath entry door side? Is it spring loaded. If we don't order this option does the factory provide a shower rod and curtain?

Is there a light in the shower enclosure?

Is the shower faucet installed halfway up the shower stall so its easy to turn on/off. Is there an access hatch to allow servicing of the valve or can it be serviced from within the shower compartment.

Is there a water pump switch in the bathroom or is there just the one on the monitor panel?

Are the electrical outlets in the kitchen and dinette area under the cabinets. How many in each area?

Does the trailer have a winterizing diverter valve that allows RV antifreeze to be pumped into the plumbing system?

Does the city water connector have a built in regulator?

Are the windows double paned thermal windows?

What brand and model of converter is installed by the factory? Is it a multistage converter?

Where does the RV BBQ Hook Up installed? Is it on the curb side of the trailer near the propane tanks?

What size are the tires and their load rating? Can the axles support both full grey and black holding tanks when boondocking? 45gal x2 is close to 900lbs. The 25RQ are 3500lb rated each.

If I order the DVD option what brand and model of radio is installed?
What is the largest size LCD TV that can be installed on the bracket that is included in the LCD prep option?

Is the Bigfoot AC as noisy as other non-ducted AC equipped trailers?
It appears the AC is controlled from the unit and not a thermostat. Am I correct?

How reliable/accurate is the waste tank and fresh water monitor system?

What are the real mpg for towing a 25' Bigfoot. Towing my Airstream at 60mph on interstates I get 11 to almost 13 mpg on my Tundra 5.7L. Does the Bigfoot achieve similar or worse results.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Thanks for any advice and information

Kelvin
KJRitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitch View Post
We currently have an 2008 Airstream Classic 25fb and while we like it we can see the advantages of the Bigfoot 25B25RQ; fiberglass, better insulated, lighter,

I would not count on the Bigfoot 25' being much lighter than an Airstream. Bigfoots tend to be on the heavy side of Fiberglass trailers due to the fact they are loaded up with features. To give you some ideas on their actual weights loaded take a look at the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World.

Bigfoot is still in biz so you might try calling them, perhaps they can put you onto a dealer or owner closer to you to take a look at them. There is also a Bigfoot Owners Club - perhaps you could go to them and ask if anyone has one to show you. There is also a Facebook Bigfoot page that perhaps if you ask someone will let you take a peek at theirs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Bigfoot has "factory outlets" in Arizona and Colorado and a few other states. Check out the factory website.

In stock in Phoenix. 2015 unit at
www.tomscamperland.com

$65000 list.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #4

Missouri
I figured the Bigfoot to be about 1000lbs light. My AS empty weight is over 6000lbs and my tongue weight is close to 1200lbs.

I've posted the same questions on the Bigfoot Owners Forum. No response yet. Not very active forum.

I'll send the questions to the factory.

I find dealers not that up on their products so I like to go informed.

Kelvin
Old 12-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
One just got posted on this site for sale in TX. Looks like a great deal. Did you see the ad?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #6

Missouri
Checked out the photos. I don't like the recliners. How do you eat meals? This model came originally with a dinette. New ones have dinette and side couch similar to the Airstream 25RB floorplan.

Kelvin
Old 12-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm guessing you could find a specialty RV shop to make it however you want and still come out way ahead on $$$. But it sounds like you have your sights set on a brand new one. A look at it might answer some of your questions, but TX is a big state...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot
My old trailer

I bought that trailer from a dealer in Rhode Island, & used it on a construction job in New England a couple of years ago. It came converted & personally I loved it. Eating was a simple matter of a few minutes in front of a "TV" table. Hours were spent on rainy days watching TV in that comfy recliner. Ever try sitting at a dinette for hours(doing anything) Pure agony. I would think most people wanting a 25RQ are probably 2 people seeking comfort, so not being able to sleep 2 additional small people wouldn't be a top concern. I brought it back west, did some minor repairs & sold it. It was in excellent shape then.
BTW- I still have the dinette takeout with cushions & table(the bracket is probably still on the wall!) in perfect condition. Curbside is intact, but streetside front was used to fill the wall. Both need top plywood only.Was going to use it in another project, but it sits in my back bedroom. Would consider selling.
Bigfoots are like fine wine. That trailer goes up in price every time it's sold!
pete luchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #9

Name: Angel
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Hi there, I've seen a few used examples of this 25RQ model you are interested in and can help answer some of your questions.

Is the optional front cargo worth it. It extends the overall length from 25' 6" to 28' 6". I tow with a 2010 Toyota Tundra pickup with a tonneau cover so I have extra space to store items. We like to frequent national park campgrounds an are wondering if 28' will be more restrictive.
Yes, some national parks have limitations on length, so depends which states you will frequent. Usually under 36' you have quite a few options where to stay. The front cargo would be great for extra storage, I've also seen someone put a honda generator into one of the compartments; very stealth and secure.

If I don't order the front cargo option, will I still be able to have two 6v or 12v batteries?
I have not seen anyone with 2 yet in person, probably possible but it would be tight.

Do the propane/cargo covers over the frame get in the way of installing a weight distribution hitch. I current have an Equalizer on my Airstream and the L brackets on the tongue look like could they be interfered by the propane cover.
You have to do two cut outs in fiberglass on both sides to install the WD hitch, check out member pictures here on how it was done.

What are the dimensions of the dinette table. Can 4 adults sit at this table or is it only a 2 person table?
Don't have the dimensions, but 4 adults can fit, although VERY snuggly. This unit is designed for a couple perfectly.

How thick are the dinette area cushions.
Cushions are comparable to every other motorohome we have seen. Thick and well cushioned but will flatten out with prolonged use.
I think about 3" or so.

What is the queen bed mattress like. Is it comfortable?
No idea, every owner had a new mattress in it that was tempurpedic or sleep number by the time I've seen their units.

Do the Fantastic Fans installed have the rain sensor to close the vent?
No, regular fantastic fans that would need the max vent covers to prevent the rain inside. Maybe the factory can be asked to install a different vent?

Does the factory install a microwave or is it a microwave/convection oven. If it's just a microwave can a Dometic or Sharp MW/Convection be installed later?
Sharp Microwave. If you can find the right dimensions of the convection I am sure you can install a different one later.

Is the roll away shower door easy to open/close and is it reliable? Does it roll inside the frame work of the shower on the bath entry door side? Is it spring loaded. If we don't order this option does the factory provide a shower rod and curtain?
Easy to open/close, hides fully, yes spring loaded. Have not seen what comes if you do not order that feature.

Is there a light in the shower enclosure?
Yes, one light.

Is the shower faucet installed halfway up the shower stall so its easy to turn on/off. Is there an access hatch to allow servicing of the valve or can it be serviced from within the shower compartment.
Yes its about half way, no idea about the access.

Are the windows double paned thermal windows?
New Bigfoots all have the winter package with double pane thermal windows.

If I order the DVD option what brand and model of radio is installed?
Jensen brand.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #10

Missouri
Thank you for responding.

Kelvin
Old 12-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #11

Name: Joe
Washington
My 25RQ is a 2004 but most comments should apply. The shipping weight of my trailer was 5,250 pounds with accessories dry. It tows at around 6,000 pounds.

I bought the trailer used so the propane shroud was already cut out for hitch mounts. It tows nicely with my Reese SC hitch, never any sway. There have been other posts about using an Anderson weight distribution hitch successfuly without having to alter the shroud.

The tongue weight is high on the 25RQ. I used air springs on my Nissan Titan to bring it level. Extending the toungue would lower your tongue weight but might be offset by what you put in the box.

The dinette table seats and eats 4 comfortably. We have folding stools and have had 6 around the table on occasion. We have played cards and games for many hours with no complaint. I think the seat cusions are closer to 4". My two grandaughters sleep well on the table.

The stock mattress is rv grade (bad). We put a gel foam topper and a foam cover on ours and it is nice. The extra weight overwhelms the pneumatic struts to lift the bed so we have a prop that we use.

The water pump switch is on the panel. There are plenty of 110v outlets, not an issue.

There are three diverter valves that need to be turned for antifreeze install, all are under the dinette seat. Bring your own regulator for water hook up.

My power center is made by Parallax Power Components series 6300.

My trailer does not have a barbeque hook up.

7,000 pounds of axle capacity less the tongue weight leaves more than enough room for loading including full tanks.

There is no wall thermostat for the AC. There is a compressor thermostat on the unit but the fan runs continuously. We have used the trailer in very hot conditions and the AC keeps up.

No problem with the tanks sensors. Do wish I had a black tank rinse installed.

We towed ours with a Titan and got 10-12mpg. Our truck is now a Dodge diesel and we get 13.5-15mpg. We live in the Northwest and many of our trips are mountainous.

One note, I'm 6 feet tall and I clear the AC unit by about an inch. We love our trailer and plan to keep it for a long time. Good luck.
BurbDurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #12

Missouri
Does anyone have or can take photos of the kitchen cabinets above and below the sink when opened so I can see how much storage is available?

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 12-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #13

Name: Kelley
Trailer: Wilderness
Ohio
I would love to see a nice slow YouTube video of one .
Masterstilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:22 PM   #14

Missouri
I found this video of a 2014 25RQ. Doesn't show much detail. Wish they had opened the kitchen cabinet doors.

http://youtu.be/XHEwCfjcUkg
Old 12-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #15

Washington
There are two cabinets over the sink. The single door cabinet on the left is 9"Wx16"Hx16"D. The Double door cabinet is20"Wx16"Hx16"D.

The under sink cabinet has 2 doors and is 20 1/2"Wx25"Hx24"D. It is separated by a shelf. A wheel well and plumbing makes a lot of this space useful for unusual sized items.

There are 3 drawers under the sink. Each has an interior dimension of 7"Wx21"Dx3 1/2"H. There two drawers under the oven. Each is 18 1/2"Wx13"Dx5"H.

The wardrobe cabinet is 28"Wx46"Hx25"D. There are 4 drawers under the wardrobe. Each is 10"Wx20 1/2"Dx3 1/2"H.

Our trailer has an additional cabinet across the aisle that we find very useful. Newer model trailers deleted this cabinet and replaced it with a seat, don't know why. This cabinet is 21"Hx31"Wx19"D and has a single shelf.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #16

Missouri
We were lucky to view a 2004 RQ over the weekend to see how the RQ layout works. It had the front dinette and the cabinet vs the side couch but everything else was laid out like the current model's floorplan.

We've decided to stay with our Airstream 25fb for now.

Thanks for everyone's help in my research for this Bigfoot model.

Kelvin
Old 12-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #17

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitch View Post
Checked out the photos. I don't like the recliners. How do you eat meals?..
I haven't looked at the photos/floorplan though i can say that my wife and i intentionally asked Evergreen to omit the dinette in our new full time rig (Tesla T3970) and are using two of the tables shown below from IKEA that are working perfectly for our needs: (_link_)

We made the above decision because in our previous full time rig (38ft DRV Mobile Suite)...we used the dinette less than a handful of times in the 3 years we were in it. We LOVED eating in our lazy boy recliners.

Anywhooo.... just a ramble with an opinion shared from a couple of full timers that have enjoyed thinking out of the RV Box
IN FACT...if we could somehow have some custom shop revamp our 13 ft parkliner to have a couple nice lounge chairs instead of the dinette we'd do it sooner-than-later. (we only use the PL for a greatroom/galley/entertainment as we sleep in our van conversion).

Best wishes, and hope you have some fun adventures in the Airstream till the next rig comes along,

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #18

Washington
These are storage dimensions from a 2004 RQ. All dimensions are in inches.

Above sink single cabinet - 9wx16hx16d
Above sink double cabinet - 20wx16hx16d

Below sink cabinet - 20 1/2wx25hx24d This cabinet has drain plumbing and a wheel well that interfer with open space.

3 below sink drawers - 7wx21dx3 1/2h

2 below oven drawers - 18 1/2wx13dx5h

Wardrobe cabinet - 28wx46hx25d

4 below wardrobe drawers - 10wx20 1/2dx3 1/2h

On the 2004 model there is a cabinet across the aisle we find useful. Later models replaced this cabinet with extra seating - 31wx21hx19d with 1 shelf.

Hope this helps.

Tags
bigfoot