Consumer Cellular?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Consumer Cellular??

Anyone using Consumer Cellular? Compared to others they seem too good to be true. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I used then for about 5 years before getting my iPhone, great company and good rates.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I bought a refurb'd iPhone 3GS from them about a year ago and have been using their service. Just added a phone for my wife on the plan a couple months ago. Paying $36/month with all fees, and the plan has plenty of airtime and data to suit our needs. No contract, so if I quit anytime I keep the phones and walk away without strings. Service through the ATT network has been just like when I dealt with ATT directly.

The only thing I don't like about Consumer Cellular is their ads. They make me feel OLD.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We had them for a while, but out west here the coverage was very poor. We use Tracfone (better coverage for us) and talk very little, so it turns out cheaper than Consumer Cellular for us.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Trackfone for many years. Purchase the phone that has double the minutes, purchase minutes than sign up for their special plan for $5 a month and you will not lose your phone number. Then replenish your minutes when what you have runs out.

We only use the phone for calls between my wife and me and very seldom. 100 minutes turns in to 200 minutes with the double plan and it lasts us 2 to 3 years. So, if you talk all the time on the phone, this might not be for you.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
I agree, Consumer Cellular makes all of us feel old! I'm 55, and went for the more youthful appearing company of Virgin Mobile. I pay $30.00 per month for 300 minutes and unlimited texts and data. I rarely use over 100 minutes of my talk time, and find it cheaper than using Tracfone or another prepaid company. The only issue is that you must buy your phone from Virgin, but I used an interest free payment plan which was painless. So far great coverage, and I like the auto pay option so I never receive a paper bill in the mail. Prepaid Unlimited Data & Messaging Plans - Beyond Talk Plans | Virgin Mobile
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I had Consumer Cellular for one day last year. No signal at my house and I do not live in a remote area of Michigan. I wish it had worked because the price was right, but if you look at their coverage maps their service area is somewhat limited. They did fully refund the cost of the phone, so I wasn't really out anything. Their customer service is fantastic.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #8

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Does anyone have the Straight Talk from Walmart? Considering it, as it is Verizon based so thinking it might have better coverage?
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Here's a good write-up by full-time RV bloggers Cheap Cellphone Service With Straight Talk -> Saving $$ & Severing Verizon Ties! | Wheeling It
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Anyone using Consumer Cellular? Compared to others they seem too good to be true. Raz
If you live in a major metropolitan area (100,000+ population) they are worth looking at. I would use them here in Southern California if I had to pay for my own cell phone. (Mine is employer provided)

I just went through a major fight with my sister in Rochester, New York over presenting a cell phone to our 90 year old Father. My experience with Consumer Cellular here has been good, but she adamantly despises the company. She insisted he needed a $$Jitterbug$$. According to her, AT&T in upstate New York is horrendous and Verison is the only provider that works there.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
Raz

At this point Tracfone (thanks Darwin) looks pretty good. The phones are cheaper, pay as you go means no surprises, and the minutes can be purchased in stores and on line. The only down side is their customer service is apparently very poor. Still researching, Raz
Old 03-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #12

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
True, customer service can be stinky, BUT you can always hang up and keep calling until you find someone who CAN help with the issue. I've used them for a good number of years, 15 or so, as a "main" cellphone and as a spare or backup phone.

They tend to NOT drop calls, you can truely, connect just about ANYWHERE, and the voice quality has been great on the phones I've had. Some of their phones have TRIPPLE the minutes.

By the way, the Trackfone people also own Net10 and Straight Talk.

Before you do anything else, evaluate what you want your phone to do, how much you think you will use it, then crunch the numbers and see if a talk/text only will work best, or you plan to use the internet a lot.

Oh, and I have Straight Talk *home* phone and love it. My daughter just got it but she's in the boonies and only gets one bar...she STILL manages to stretch a phone call to three hours!!!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #13

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
I originally used Straight Talk with my iphone, around $45/month unlimited data, etc. They had no options for a second phone, so my wife used Consumer Cellular with her "not smart" phone, for around $15/month I think. When CC started offering iPhone support, I bought a new iphone through them, gave my old one to my wife and we are both now on the CC same plan with 500min/500mb shared per month, which is way more than we need. The unlimited ST plan was way too much plan for me. I'm still paying close the the same, or a little less now, with two smart phones on the CC account. Both services use the same network and I've always had very good response from tech support from both services. CC also has a nice app that lets you know how much service you have used for the month, so you can adjust your plan as needed.
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Consumer Cellular is quite flexible. I started with a very basic, low cost arrangement. If I used too much data or minutes in a month, CC sent a message recommending whether I would save by going up a step to more data or minutes. I could do that for the month, then go back to the lower usage the next month.

When I decided to get my wife a phone on the same minutes/data, it was easy and affordable.

Everyone's situation is different, so that's why there are so many companies out there with different offerings. Something to fit just about everyone.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #15

Name: Jim & Kathy
Trailer: Escape
Northern Colorado
Consumer Cellular

We love CC....have 3 phones (2 smart, purchased on Ebay), cost is ~$50 per month depending on usage. Can change our plan at any time....if we are at home, we choose the minimum plan. when traveling we can increase our voice minutes and data plan easily. great coverage so far.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #16

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
To get an idea of how much you use your voice/txt/data, most wireless companies keep track of that info monthly and you can access it thru your account. Then, when you have to determine how many minutes you should get, you have a pretty good estimate and can find a plan that best suits your needs.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
+3 on Tracfone. Wife and I have never wished for more. Yeh, it's an outdated tiny flip phone (remember when it was state of the art?) and a terrible camera, no games, no texting, no personal assistant or day planner. The sheeple think they'll luv their duzitall and some do. I don't. Got signal for yrs. inside buildings that defeated some expensive phones and expensive provider contracts. The burner "for the rest of us."

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #18
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
+3 on Tracfone. Wife and I have never wished for more. Yeh, it's an outdated tiny flip phone (remember when it was state of the art?) and a terrible camera, no games, no texting, no personal assistant or day planner. The sheeple think they'll luv their duzitall and some do. I don't. Got signal for yrs. inside buildings that defeated some expensive phones and expensive provider contracts. The burner "for the rest of us."

jack
Well there you go. In an effort to avoid being mistaken for a twentysomething I ordered a big button flip (tracfone) phone for about $20. For an additional $20 for minutes we'll try it out. Not ready to dump the land line yet. When our phone line was installed Western Electric made the wire. It's amazing how big a tree that stuff will hold and still work. Raz
Old 03-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #19

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Raz, you can't go wrong if all you want is a convenient, barebones cell and, should you encounter a bad dead zone around your patch, it's a minimal investment in finding out. I've never thought of you as being anything but timelessly hip whatever your actual time on the planet.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #20

Oklahoma
Today I came across an additional alternative for cell service. AMAC (the Association of Mature American Citizens), of which I am a member, has discount arrangements with some businesses for its members. One such discount is 5% off cellular service with Club Cellular. In examining their no-contract monthly plans on the Verizon network, I found that I could save about $5/month versus our current Consumer Cellular service. Of course I would also have to buy 2 new phones, since CC uses the ATT network, so I will stay where I am for now. But I thought someone else might find it an attractive alternative, whether they wish to join AMAC (for $16/year) or not.