Convincing a spouse? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I am crossing my fingers for you! Everyone has had some very valid points (both sides). I grew up camping, water ski'en, fishing, etc.......... It created wonderful memories, just last year a friend of mine from childhood sent myself and my Mom a beautiful letters, Thanking my Parents for always allowing her to go camping with us and for me always being her friend and wanting her to go. She said it's some of the best memories she has as a teenager. My Parents where wonderful about taking a bunch of our friends with us. I guess they figured what the heck, keep the kids camping with us longer.

I have only tented 2 times in my whole life. Once as a baby ( my Mom said never again, so Dad bought a trailer the next week) and once a few years ago after we sold our Class A. Believe me when I say, once you have camped in a camper, pop up, bumper pull, or motor home, it's hard to go back to a tent. At least for me! It's not my thing! Of course all of us here are fiberglass junkies, but maybe starting out in a pop up would be a good thing for your family. One thing I think of, since you say he's money wise, is that with a pop up more than likely you could store it at home rather than pay storage fee's, now that is not saying you can't store a fiberglass travel trailer at home. I just don't know your storage options. Now as for the investment, I like the point that you could buy it, try it and sell it if it wasn't meeting your families camping needs. We know most likely you would regain your investment if you sold it a year from now. But no matter what you guys end up doing, keep camping it is a investment in your childrens future! Again, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! Good Luck! Robin

This a picture of my lil brother and me camping in 1964
Attached Thumbnails
camping.jpg  

Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #16

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
He is semi-handy. He's taken on some projects over the last year despite no background and done a great job.
It just might come to waiting 2 years.... I know patience is a virtue but I feel like time is a wasting and I want to be out there now! I do babysit occasionally and could save enough of my own money for a $4,000 camper in a few years. I just don't want to wait that long.
You might want to consider buying a wreck then. You can both work on it. Here is a link to what I bought for about $500 USD and what I've been able to do with it so far. Lets say it is worth a lot more now than then. If I needed or wanted to move up to a bigger trailer it would be much more affordable. (I'm thinking for when your kids get bigger.) IMO the only accessory that would help with a family is a pop up kitchen shelter that can be had at Wally World for about a hundred.

The deciding factor for me was Donna D. saying consider it a hard tent on wheels till you get it to where you want it before I even got one. Oh yeah, my wife and most people thought I had lost my mind, now they like it. And yes she has helped with some of the work.

Edit to add:
There is an Amerigo that needs work posted for sale in MN in the forums here ($1200 or swap for a small boat). That is a good size for a small family.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #17

Ontario
I forgot to mention, forget promising to drop the honey do list. If you buy a wreck, it will only move from the house to trailer. The list actually gets bigger.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #18

Ontario
Amanda,

You don't say where in WI you are, but there is a meet on right now in Bayfield WI area.

Maybe if he could see the layouts of a few for himself, he might appreciate these trailers a little more.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Amanda, you can see, there is a lot of enthusiasm here for the trailer.

My .02 if you're asking..Don't try to convince your husband, he'll see through that and besides he might relent to please you but it may come back to haunt you if your trailer experience doesn't pan out. It's not for everyone. AT the end of it all you want a fully engaged spouse on your travels or it's not worth it. Just enjoy what you both like to do for now and perhaps one day buy one for yourself and invite him along..or not.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #20

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Quote:
He is semi-handy. He's taken on some projects over the last year despite no background and done a great job. He's more handy with the golf club though.

It just might come to waiting 2 years.... I know patience is a virtue but I feel like time is a wasting and I want to be out there now! I do babysit occasionally and could save enough of my own money for a $4,000 camper in a few years. I just don't want to wait that long.
Go right for the throat honey and tell him If he want to play golf then I should be able to do something equally as expensive, everytime you go play golf I want the same amount that it cost you to play a game of golf right here. (holding out your palm)
When the $40.00 (or what ever golf cost in your area) costs him $80.00 instead he's either going to cut his golf or you will have your trailer money twice as fast. haha
Old 06-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I think you need to find out exactly what the objection surrounds. Is it camping or is the trailer ownership. Then you get all your ducks in a row... with facts and figures. Then you present your case. Look at as being similar to presenting a solution to a major problem... to your boss. I've had to do that several times recently. First I ask for the problem, then I work on gaining answers for a solution... then I present my case (argument). There's nothing worse than saying "I'll get back to you on that," when a question is asked and I don't have the answer at hand.

First, how valuable is adding to your childrens memory bank? I'm closer to 60y/o than 50y/o and I love the childhood memories I have about camping with my family. Those memories are what you want to develop for your children too. They'll last a lifetime, which is more than some video game system or expensive vacation lasts.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thank you all for your advice.
I am the leader. My husband is more of a follower. We have a really great relationship
and work well together and parent well together. Any other time in the past that we have had to make a decision, I have had to be driving force behind it. Most of the time I do ok and he ends up saying "That was a good idea, I'm glad we did that..." I know right now it's just hard because the economy stinks and it's a scary time to spend money on anything, especially something that seems like a luxury, like a trailer.

I have decided to save every nickle and dime I can. When I have enough money I'll buy it myself. It might take a few years, but so be it. My mom purchased the pop-up back in 1988 by writing the grocery check out for 20 dollars more every week and then saving the cash in a drawer.

You guys are great. I am glad to be here and will lurk around until I have a trailer of my own.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape
Maine
We were kinda in the same boat as you, with a 6 and a 2 year old. We saw a 13ft Scamp at an acquaintance's house and my wife fell in love. I liked the idea, but to me there seemed like more important, less expensive things we needed. So, we got them, sat around the house for the entire summer while we watched camper trailers stream by.

It frustrated my wife greatly, and she finally convinced me to research campers online while she combed the internet for campgrounds that looked more like resorts to temp me with. After I read this site, the Casita Forum, and the Casita Club for a while, I too got hooked and we decided to get a Casita. We had to wait a year to order and get it due to saving up time and money, but we finally did it.

I'm here to tell you that our summers and falls have been the highlight of our family life, and have already made an indelible impression on our kids, now 9 and 5. We have spent over 110 nights camping since 2007, and have had the opportunity to visit places in the area we never would have if we had not purchased our trailer.

I'm now, like you, a huge proponent of making lasting memories for our kids, and also see our weekends and vacations camping as time that our kids get both our "relaxed" attention that means so much more than the distracted attention that they sometimes get when we are home and trying to get "work" done.

And while I too would like to avoid debt when possible, I also know if we had waited till we had cash in hand, our kids would still be waiting and we would have missed out on 2 incredible years.

So my advise would be, convince him however you can, and go for it. Sure, its payments, but think of it as investing in your kids (and your) memories, and tying your family in a closer bond. And, should you determine you don't like it, you could sell the trailer for probably what you bought it for, and thats that.

Good luck, and keep trying!!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #24

Trailer: 1972 Boler
Do what I did, just go buy one!!! ROFL
Old 06-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #25

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring

To get permission could result in a lifetime of gnawing at your nerves.
To get forgiveness may take far less time and gnawing so purchase what you want and beg 4 forgiveness.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #26

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Amanda,
I'm with Mia's suggestion!

Marjie
Old 06-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #27

Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
I figure that if you buy it, you won't have to convince hubby it was a good idea, the trailer and the camping experiences will do that for you.
cheers
Ian
Old 06-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I might love you guys.