convincing the better half - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #21

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

I know this is a forum with focus on what we tow, but i'm going to toss in something that really changed how Cari and i look at even going out for the day...

Switching from a _car_ or small truck as a tow vehicle and daily driver, to a van as tv/dd. I can tell you that Cari LOOOVVVSSS her van! And when we pull out for any trip, be it for an afternoon-picnic or a week-long-adventure, having a bathroom right behind the cab sure makes for a happy girl/wife. Add to that access to food/beverage and comfy bed and the benefits add up to be a good choice for some travelers.

: ) Thom

Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #22

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I was tiring of tent camping. Hot, cold, wet, there's a 75%chance you're getting at least one. I hated all the packing/unpacking. Now it's a matter of backing up to the trailer, stocking the fridge, throwing a suitcase in, and done. From the time I decide to leave, I can hit the road in an hour. The best part is, I'm always comfortable at night.

After watching popup camper Olympics repeatedly, there was no way I was going down that road.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
A few years ago it came time to put away the backpack and move to some sort of an RV, retirement was just a couple years away. I had seen a Scamp and Burro. The small simple trailers caught my fancy. Anne wasn't so sure, but let me put a deposit on a new Scamp. A couple weeks later we went to the very first Northern Oregon Gathering and Anne got to look at a few small trailers. She was hooked.

The trailer arrived about 2 months later. Excitement filled the air.

Now 8 years later we're thinking about our 5th snow birder trip and remembering the last 4 snow birder trips.

One of the great things about the trailer not only do you get to change scenery, but you get to change neighbors, and move if the weather doesn't suit you.

The better half is busy "collecting string" on places to visit this coming winter.

I feel very lucky that it didn't take a lot of convincing, and she enjoys the travel as much or more than I do. I think we could be on the road in 15 minutes, a few clothes and we're off. Groceries can be purchased while on the road. That's also part of the joy of a small trailer, the ease of travel, set up, take down. Being able sleep inside, cook inside, but mostly for us it's not needing to get dress laying on our backs.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #24

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I was one of those who never camped. I bought the first Burro. Of course, it was purchased while facing the prospect of sleeping in bunkbeds for a week while volunteering on Pine Ridge and not knowing what they were going to be like. My kids said, "Mom bought a camper?!"

However, I am a glamper. Our camper is not set up for boon docking. I have to have AC, wireless, etc when I camp. Thus, we call our Uhaul Howie for Hotel on Wheels. And it has taken us places we never would have gone to. Before Howie, we asked if we could afford a trip and usually said, "No." Now we ask, "Where do you want to go this summer?"

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #25
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Great thread!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #26

Registry
I agree with Mary F it's great thread. So many memories being made. However this doesn't answer the OP problem. He's my early story and the same problem, camping in a tent rather than trailer camping though.

When I first got married in another life a long time ago I yearned for the outdoors. You see I had spent my youth outside. Camping was just second nature. I had camped with parents and grandparents and uncles, etc. from the time I can remember. Somewhere around 10 to 12 years old camping also included backyards. We lived in the country so a backyard could be almost as good as the mountains. Teenage years the backyard camping continued along with at times heading into the mountains either with adults or peers.
Fast forward to military and bivouacking, sleeping in a tent inside a sleeping bag.
Then left the military life and go married, when to work and fathered a child. But the yearnings stayed with me. I started working my now ex-wife to take up tent camping. She objected big time. Her biggest excuse was why should she out the outdoors and increase the difficulty of keeping house, at least that's what her last attempt to dissuade me. The bargain I had to make was I'll do all the cooking and dish washing. I'll do all the work to set up camp, etc. All she had to do was take care of the baby. (The little girls was about 1 year old at that time) She finally agreed under those stipulations. To me it was worth the work to get out, and it wasn't that much more than if I'd been alone.

I'm so grateful that I now have a partner that enjoys the fruits of our joint labors as much as I do and willing to do more than her share of the work. Great memories are still being made.

Good luck with the effort.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Camping = stinky clothes, dirt, lots of work cooking/cleaning

Having your own rollin home = clean bed (always), clean, dry clothes, bathroom (maybe) steps away and you don't worry about the toilet seat! Cooking, eating the foods that suit you. Neighbors who want to talk to you, etc.,etc., etc.

And every single time, if you so choose, the view is different...
You miss out on a lot of really neat places when you have to stick to the paved road. Here's some pictures of one our backpacking trips.

FYI we've been back several times after these picture were taken.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well I have to admit that I didnt really even try to convince my partner. I just kind of decided I was getting one and that was that. They and I love the outdoors and have spent years kayaking most of the west coast or backpack or bike camping. After one rather long trip and only seeing one other party and 10 days of rain on the northern coast we saw a Casita at the ferry terminal while heading home. I declared the next camping trip I took was going to be in one of those as I was all done on tents & wet sleeping bags.

We had over the years used other family members camper trucks and trailers for some short vacations and we even tried renting small motorhomes to tour the south coast a couple of times, so I was well aware camping with a trailer was not their first choose. Since then my partner has done & enjoyed lots of trips with the trailer, including a snow bird test run last winter when they had a break in their work contract but as they say "the real back country" in a tent is still their first choose. So we compromise - they will head off with the backpack to the top of a mountain with friends (they even do that in the middle of winter), I pack up the trailer and head out to meet up with other friends who have trailers. Both end up with a little vacation time that we both enjoy.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #29

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Byron,
Thanks for your photos and reminder of the joys and simplicity of backpacking. We started out as backpackers and when we had a child we moved to tent/car camping and now that we are empty nesters we have a trailer. We do, however, day hike everyday both at home and when camping. We have been on overnight backpack trips as well. I don't see it as an either/or proposition. You can have both the comfort of camping with a trailer AND the beauty of day or overnight packing. I do appreciate the lessons of simple camping derived from backpacking which I apply to trailer camping everyday.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin