cookin in the scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
cookin in the scamp

Hey guys we did light cooking in our A-Liner eggs bacon and such nothing past that will this smell up the rat fur? most of the time we cook outside! we cook inside when boonedocking!

just wonderin

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We cook regularly in our Scamp, mostly potlucks at fiberglass rallies.
The wall fabric is amazingly odor and stain resistant, but even with the fabrics in the upholstery, bedding and curtains we have no problems.
One trick is to use the Fantastic fan switched to fan inward, then open the kitchen window above the stove. This pushes the cooking odors out the window very efficiently. They do make a range hood but it doesn't really do as well and its a head knocker.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I don't cook inside unless its just boiling water or when we have AC power I will use my Nuwave oven since everything is contained inside.

The rest I cook outside or eat out at a food establishment.

If I were to cook inside I would put up an impervious back splash on the wall behind the cook top. Plus if you were cooking inside you would have to fix your fantastic fan.

If you are using your fantastic fan in your Scamp while cooking make sure you pop the top of the cook top and check the compartment for any open holes in the compartment.

If there are through holes you need to seal those holes so that when the burner is lit and the windows and door are closed the fan air flow can in theory blow air through the stove top and into the lower compartment carrying propane or flame from the burner to below the cook top.

When I installed my fan I checked my cook top and found 2 through holes one where the propane line came through and another one that had the knock out plug removed. I sealed mine up with self adhesive aluminium foil ducting tape.

Cooking inside with a rat-fur interior would be impossible to clean.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I've been mostly living in my Bigfoot for the last two years, and cook in it usually at least twice a day.

Bigfoot doesn't have rut fur, and mine doesn't even have a carpeted ceiling.

All the same...

I don't cook bacon in it.

In fact I don't cook anything that creates too much flying grease. I fry, but not hot. I keep things to a light sizzle.

Everyone finds their own balance.

For me, things like bacon just linger way too long in the camper. And even with a backsplash, you're getting oil on your bed, floor, and anything within about a 5-foot range, which is most everything in a fiberglass camper.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We cook regularly in our Scamp, mostly potlucks at fiberglass rallies.
The wall fabric is amazingly odor and stain resistant, but even with the fabrics in the upholstery, bedding and curtains we have no problems.
One trick is to use the Fantastic fan switched to fan inward, then open the kitchen window above the stove. This pushes the cooking odors out the window very efficiently. They do make a range hood but it doesn't really do as well and its a head knocker.

We only cook INSIDE, and neither the elephant hyde nor the rat fur had ever stained or had odors. You can cook bacon with a splash screen cover to keep the grease contained. One could also install a back splash or a hinged stove cover to protect the marine headliner (rat fur) further.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #6

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I've been using the pre-cooked bacon from Costco, Hormel brand, it cooks up great and no splatter. I just put it in the frying pan to get it crispy.

My Scamp is 25 years old and was used well and the one thing I noticed when I bought it was how there was no odor in the coach.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
When you are done cooking set the pan outside until you are ready to wash it. That is because grease contents in the pan will still be giving off bacon odor. Of course you might have a volunteer lurking nearby ready to pre-wash the pan for you.

Or you can do like my grandma did and have a grease canister with a tight fitting lid into which you immediately dump the hot grease. Remember that can is only for grease, no other liquid allowed in it or you will have a flying grease explosion. Makes a tasty fat for cooking up other stuff, creating wilted spinach salad, etc.

So what I am saying is leaving the hot grease in the pan will keep the odor lingering and contribute to the problem. Take the bacon out, deal with the fat, then sit down to eat.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #8

Registry
If I cook bacon inside, it is in the microwave wrapped in paper towels.
Breakfast is potatoes, fried in bacon grease with eggs, green pepper, and onions all scrambled together and served with milk and orange juice. It is prepared at the picnic table on my butane stove which is amazing and only $20!
Old 10-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I don't cook inside unless its just boiling water or when we have AC power I will use my Nuwave oven since everything is contained inside.

The rest I cook outside or eat out at a food establishment.

If I were to cook inside I would put up an impervious back splash on the wall behind the cook top. Plus if you were cooking inside you would have to fix your fantastic fan.

If you are using your fantastic fan in your Scamp while cooking make sure you pop the top of the cook top and check the compartment for any open holes in the compartment.

If there are through holes you need to seal those holes so that when the burner is lit and the windows and door are closed the fan air flow can in theory blow air through the stove top and into the lower compartment carrying propane or flame from the burner to below the cook top.

When I installed my fan I checked my cook top and found 2 through holes one where the propane line came through and another one that had the knock out plug removed. I sealed mine up with self adhesive aluminium foil ducting tape.

Cooking inside with a rat-fur interior would be impossible to clean.
Why would you ever run the fan with the windows and door shut?
When do I expect to start seeing my rat fur dirty or difficult to clean?
Old 10-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #10

Missouri
duly noted

we boonedock there are times we cant get outside. We did cook in the A-Liner same methods as some of you never thought about the grease pot good idea we will put that idea in use much needed!

we do use a screen over our skillet and will continue to do so. Remember our 13f is barebooned matter of fact the stove and zinc is gone so we cook on top with our little single burner coleman it worked real well in the other camper and gets very hot fast good for boiling water.

Thanks for the fine ideas much appreciated that ratfur puzzles us

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #11

Missouri
I have one of those stoves Floyd we bought it in Europe

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 10:43 PM   #12

Missouri
counter top

by the way I saw a picture some place no here where a person had cooked so hot it melted their fiberglass counter top! Weird!

Wonder they didn't burn their trailer down!

bob

Tags
scamp