Cool teardrops - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Cool teardrops

I don't want one but these folks are pushing designs a bit further then our Fiberglass folks. Interesting.

Silver Tears Campers
Attached Thumbnails
woody-new-17.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #2

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Our trailering obsession began with a tear drop. They are neat little rigs; ridiculously easy to tow and easy to find a spot for stowing them between trips.

That first tear drop taught us a few lessons too. Foremost, that it is nice to do the cooking outside. We lean toward the 'camping' side of the experience, and an outdoor kitchen helps to keep that feeling. The teardrop also taught us that in so many different ways, small is good.

So, even though we moved up to a 13 footer, I still have a soft spot for teardrops. They possess a cool factor that other trailers just can't match.
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We still use our teardrop, alternating between it and our Uhaul camper. It's a 1946 that we bought as a restoration project in 2007. Spent 8 months getting it back to decent condition. My guess it was built from war surplus aluminum by people that had worked at building airplanes. It is put together with aircraft type rivets and I found Alcoa and Reynolds markings on different panels. As far as I know this company, Modernistic , was only in business for a few years.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0197.jpg   IMG_0194.jpg  

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #4

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Steve_N_Janna: I also would like the kitchen to be outside. A company called Little Guy, bought the Dutchman T@B product and improved quality control. They build a clamshell trailer with a dinette (turns into bed like 13' Scamp) and a full bath. As much as I like my little Scamp, the convenience of the clamshell with outdoor kitchen could convert me.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #5

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Love the teardrop trailer. My first camping experience at 5 was in my grandparents homemade teardrop. I do like the idea of standing up in the trailer however and the teardrop led me to the FGRV. I admit to preferring the outdoor cooking as well.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #6

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
There is a company in Orange County (CA) that makes a cool looking molded fiberglass teardrop. I think the name is SoCal Teardrops. I REALLY wanted one, but $9000 base price was out of reach, and I decided also that I wanted a place to stand up and be able to change clothes. Cooking is optional to me. I have gone as long as 3 months eating only cold foods (raw veggies, cold cereal, protein shakes, etc.).
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:53 AM   #7
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
I always liked this one....
Attached Thumbnails
corvette trailer 1 - copy.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Steve_N_Janna: I also would like the kitchen to be outside. A company called Little Guy, bought the Dutchman T@B product and improved quality control. They build a clamshell trailer with a dinette (turns into bed like 13' Scamp) and a full bath. As much as I like my little Scamp, the convenience of the clamshell with outdoor kitchen could convert me.

I prefer cooking outside, and sleeping well secured. Something like the T@B would meet my needs well. Except it rains a lot where I camp.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #9

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
We just completed a 3632 mile round trip to a teardrop gathering in Wyoming. Was a small gathering but one we'd looked forward to for a couple of years.Tiny trailers such as our Scamp are also welcome but, since the Scamp is still in 're-hab' (yeah, I know I'm slow ) we took the TD that I built in 2006. Had a great time & love the camping aspect of teardropping. We're at the age tho where we hafta get up & go outside at least once during the night so that prevented us staying in a couple of campgrounds outside the east entrance of Yellowstone NP. Those C/G's are restricted to 'hard side' campers due to recent Grizzly Bear activity. I had no fear of spending the night in our teardrop because of its construction but I surely didn't want to meet one of those critters while answering nature's call at 2am . We're eager to get the Scamp campable; it's getting harder & harder to put my pants on lying down...

Here's a pic of our rig at Buffalo Bill SP just west of Cody WY -
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0423 - Copy (2).JPG  
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
a couple of campgrounds outside the east entrance of Yellowstone NP.(clip) Here's a pic of our rig at Buffalo Bill SP just west of Cody WY -

I am coming back there some day. Growing up West of Yellowstone (Idaho) we visited many times coming and going out the "West" Entrance while I was growing up and into early adulthood. Two years ago I took my then 10 year old daughter out for a trip to her “ancestral homeland” and around Yellowstone, out to Cody, back through Yellowstone down to Jackson Hole and up, up, up, then over and down, down, down, into Idaho and home. I was blown away at the scenery around the Lake, out the East Entrance and over to Cody. I made a big mistake not allowing enough time to explore the area but I just did not know how beautiful it was. And I grew up in some mighty pretty country in Idaho!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #11

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I to started in a tear drop that I made my self.
I still have it and when I am camping by my self while out White Water Kayaking I still use.
It it is my first love.
Attached Thumbnails
601.jpg  
Old 09-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We recently camped at Smokemont in Great Smoky Mountain NP with several folks who had Little Guy teardrops. Definitely nice units and their owners had put a good bit of time and money into customizing them for 'expedition' type use. If we were still into remote off road type camping, they'd surely get my consideration. Then again, that hot shower each evening felt mighty good. No denying the 'cool' factor though and I'd guess they got as much or more attention as our 19'er.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm a hot rodder, my first love. But now I'm passed the age of laying down to pull on my pants, NEEDING to step outside to fire up a stove to heat water for my morning coffee. Or needing to hit the head at 3am...

But still... swoon, when I was younger and more agile, there was nothing as neato as a teardrop behind a hotrod heading down the road to some memory....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote