Coolers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
I use a 5 day cooler from Walmart going on 15 years now. It has extra insulation. Then I freeze salt water in Ocean Spray juice bottles. When I pack milk, it actually freezes in the cooler. It's because of the salt water. Keeps things colder. Works well.
Cheap way to go.
Great idea. How much salt do you use per quart / gallon?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Is that iodized salt? or, sea salt? ...................lol

I have a grand-daughter we would have to watch,
she would drink it.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #23

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
I second the Walmart cooler. I bought one in Anchorage about 20 years ago and it's still the best cooler i have.
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #24

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

In 2007 after researching coolers my wife and i bought a 70qt YETI, and then in 2012 we needed more cooler room so purchased an ENGEL Deep Blue 70qt.

Now i realize you have pretty much talked yourself out of that size because of the weight when loaded...BUT the quality of YETI and ENGEL Deep Blue coolers are great. My wife and i do camp in bear country so we will pay for the Bear-resistant design of these coolers...they do a really good job of keeping the racoons out too!

We typically put a 20lb bag of ice in each and the temp ~6 days later is still below 40 degrees and in the safe zone.

I see that you are in MN...if you are a Costco member, there are some locations in Minneapolis. Our location here on the Oregon Coast (where my wife and i work) just got in some YETI/ENGEL like coolers for about 1/2 the price!

ALSO...definitely put the bubble foil on the cooler...it gave us about 36 to 48 extra hours in the safe zone.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #25

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
"Great idea. How much salt do you use per quart / gallon? "

"I have a grand-daughter we would have to watch,
she would drink it. "

Carl, I now use the Kroger brown Apple Juice Bottles, to tell the difference in the ones that have salt in them.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #26

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
I have two coolers I use a lot. A larger Engle that holds ice for 3-4 days and a small Yeti that will hold ice 2-3 days. The engle is lighter than the yeti of the same size and had better specs on consumer reports. The smaller yeti is what I throw into the van or truck for short trips and use it for day trips from the camp site or hotel stays. We do a lot of driving and day tripping from a camp site and the small yeti is perfect for that. I also have used it for a camera case on day trips. I use the engle cooler when I'm out by myself for a long weekend camping in the van. Engle is perfect for parties when I want to ice down beverages early or the night before. Both are virtually indestructible.

2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #27

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
"Great idea. How much salt do you use per quart / gallon? "

"I have a grand-daughter we would have to watch,
she would drink it. "

Carl, I now use the Kroger brown Apple Juice Bottles, to tell the difference in the ones that have salt in them.
Good ideas.................except my grand-daughter eats salt on purpose.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #28
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Saw the Yeti coolers last night while shopping. They seem well-built, and are HEAVY. Their claim of "grizzly-proof" is really smoke and mirrors- it requires having locked padlocks on the cooler. The normal elastic snubbers wouldn't last 5 minutes even with a small black bear. I don't eat meat, and very rarely take perishable food out with me, so a cooler is relegated to keeping drinks cold. I have an Igloo with the wheels and handle, works pretty well, and I got it at a yard sale for a dollar.

Also saw the official Yeti accessories. They're priced like the coolers, despite being common-quality hardware.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #29

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
I went and checked out the coolers today at our local Fleet Store. The Yeti 75 is $429.99 and the Coleman Extreme 5 day is $49.99. I'm thinking I will go with the Colman because of the weight, and the price. I can lift my old 70 qt myself when it's full, but the Yeti is already to heavy empty. I'm not worried about it being bear proof. If they want to steal my cooler, I can buy a few more Coleman coolers for the cost I would have in the Yeti if it gets stolen.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #30

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Here is something that all of us might like to try.

HarrietCarter.com: Lawn & Garden | Stay Cool | Ice Mat

I have used these at work many times.....they do help a lotto keep the ice from melting so fast. If you used it inside and then wrapped ( or covered) the outside of the cooler it would work even better.

Oh and one other thing for those of you that freeze and reuse the gel packs that your meds come packed with.....they should put inside a zipper type plastic freezer bag ( Zip-lock;Hefty) brand doesn't matter. It not only makes them last longer ,but protects your food and drinks should the original get a leak in it. I have been known to use 2 baggies on mine with the zippers turned opposite each other.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #31

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I agree with Lynn. I have put those jell packs I have in some ziplock freezer bags. They do tend to spring leaks. In my state we have a county nurse office. One can get immunization shots there. They get the meds shipped in styrofoam coolers. They give away the pack and coolers.
For what those Yeti freezers cost one might as well get the electric one like I have. You don't have to mess with ice at all then. And you can make your own ice!
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #32

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
The high end coolers are heavy and expensive. If you can't lift them or afford them then considering them is moot. If the weight and/or price is not a problem, then what it basically boils down to is whether you would rather spend $$$.$$ on a Yeti or an Engle, never have to replace it because it's worn out and put ice in it once a week or $$.$$ on everything else, replace it every few years and put ice in it every day or so. It's just whatever's best for you.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #33

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
as to the heft of the YETI & ENGLE coolers? Yup they can be heavy! But then my wife and i are always together and do team lifts.

IF i was single, i would still purchase these coolers...but maybe two smaller ones and have them say one for dry-bagged items (remember-bear-resistant) and one for items needing colder temp. That is basically what we do now with our YETI (no ice being used) and ENGLE (ice in use).

Like others have said, buy it once, last a lifetime.
: ) Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote