Corps of engineers in NW Arkansas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #1

Name: Viron
Trailer: casita
Texas
Corps of engineers in NW Arkansas

There are quite Corps campgrounds in North West corner of Arkansas and I am hoping someone can recommend some of the better ones. We will be in a 21ft Escape and prefer power and water but we have solar and can boondock.
In general we have found their campgrounds to be of good quality and with the senior pass, one of the cheapest places to stay. The pan now would put us there in 3+ weeks.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:39 AM   #2

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Talking COE in AR

Thumper..you just got a new TT huh?? How do you like the extra 4 feet? WE been looking to 'upsize' just a bit, too

WE use an app [on our iphones] called PARKADVISOR (all caps)
It is simple and it puts a little "camper, tent and tree" incon on yer phone.
You click on the icon and the app opens, showing a satellite map of US/Canada and YOUR bsic location... You can switch to a "road map" by clicking the lower right symbol and also go to its settings to filter stuff in or out, like walmarts, fuel stops, restaurants, COE, etc.

As you put the cursor on an area..then you home into the area closer and closer..ie make scale smaller..the various campsites appear as little tent or koa or COE or state parks incons on the map.
We use it to plan routes and get info to calll ahead for reservations, bks we hate driving around LOOKING for camps w empty sites.

G'luck ;-)
I suspect it works on android phones too, but I do not know.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #3

Name: Bruce
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
New Hampshire
COE in NW Arkansas

We too like COE campgrounds and stayed at Prairie Creek in Rogers in April on our trip through the South and it was fine, although our site was quite hilly and we had to back into our site uphill. But it is wooded and the facilities were great, have elect and water onsite and a dump station. Very close to Rogers and Bentonville dining and shopping and sightseeing. There are several others, Rocky Branch and Horsehoe Bend, but they are farther away from town and we didn't get to see them.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp 16
Wisconsin
Try Long Pool Campground - a USFS property within the Ozark National Forest.

We didn't stay there ourselves, but we did drive through in March of '16 and used the campground as a base for some day hiking , and it looked nice. Our son did spent a couple overnights there the previous May and liked it too...

'The Ultimate US Public Campground Project' (phone APP) shows 40 sites, all RV accessible, 20 w/electric, water & dump on the property but apparently no hook-up for those.

There is swimming/wading, fishing and paddling on the adjacent Big Piney Creek, a hike to a nice waterfall nearby, and a great (sunset) overlook of the Big Piney Creek valley from nearby Newton Hill.

I suspect there are other similar campgrounds in the area.

OIC - you asked about COE Campgrounds... I see there are several shown on the 'Ultimate US Public Campground Project' (phone APP) near Russellville as well as farther into the NW corner of the state...
Brian5305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #5

Name: Jessie & Carl
Trailer: Scamp her name is Mae West
Missouri
NW Arkansas

Lake Fort Smith SP is quite lovely.
JessieJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #6

Name: Dano
Trailer: Winnebago
Florida
Fort supply or Canadian. Fort supply was flooded, might be reopened. Canadian had the A loop re built, nice, but no shade. Expect both to be busy on the weekend. There are a few small campgrounds near Canadian, they were flooded too
DanoFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #7

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I remember staying at an Arkansas State Park a few years ago and they accepted the Fed. Golden Age Passport.

We really liked the one in Russellville on the lower part of the lake near the Locks. Can watch the Locks in operation from this campground. Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the park.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #8

Name: Viron
Trailer: casita
Texas
We have had good luck in general using Corps campgrounds we hope those in the NW corner of Arkansas measure up. I see I need to update my profile as it still shows that I have a Casita [6yrs] but we have been in our escape for 3yrs now. Also, oddly it shows this that I only have one post but that ain't right.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:08 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5305 View Post

'The Ultimate US Public Campground Project' (phone APP) shows 40 sites, all RV accessible, 20 w/electric, water & dump on the property but apparently no hook-up for those.
The Ultimate US Public Campground Project is a great app for finding all types of non-commercial campgrounds. National Parks, State Parks, COE, BLM, USFS, etc. I’ve emailed them several times with information to update their database and they always reply and apply the update. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2005
Last fall we stayed at Horseshoe Bend and Robinson Point and both were fine. I believe there are other COE campgrounds near Rogers/Bentonville and I’m sure they would be typical COE.
HaroldB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #11

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Thumper,
Not sure what you are looking for, but Roaring River State Park in SW Missouri (not far from Rogers) is another campground you may want to check. They have nice camping and also have a fish hatchery which is quite interesting.

Also, if you are willing to travel and drive a little more there are many great campgrounds thru-out southern Missouri. If canoeing is something you enjoy, even more places and campgrounds to look into.

Good luck in your adventures.
jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #12

Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
We've stayed at Toad Suck, near Conway, a couple of times. It's a very nice park, although a bit far off 40.

A lot of folks like La Petit John state park, but we found it a bit of a challenge to get to.
AndyWillowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWillowbee View Post
We've stayed at Toad Suck, near Conway, a couple of times. It's a very nice park, although a bit far off 40.

A lot of folks like La Petit John state park, but we found it a bit of a challenge to get to.
You mean Petit Jean SP, I believe. S of the Arkansas River, SW of Russellville. It is very nice. Camping under the pines. A large waterfall you can hike to. A couple of high overlooks. The Bear Cave trail winds among rock outcroppings that are great for kids to play hide and seek. The Turtle Rocks. But load up on DEET (or Permethrin spray pre-treat on the clothes) because the ticks have been plentiful the last two times I went there with the grandkids.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:28 PM   #14

Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Yep - that's the park I meant. Remembered how it sounded, not how it was spelled.... It was a nice place, just a bit more of a challenge to get to, from 40, for a stopover night, that I intended.
AndyWillowbee is offline   Reply With Quote