Cougar Sighting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #1

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Cougar Sighting

My sister-in-law who lives in Pend Oreille Co. WA had a full size cougar walk in front of her in her driveay Sunday. Hopefully she was in her car. They have had cougar problems before and hunters have been banned from hunting them with dogs

I like wildlife, the ones that run in front of your car, under your tires and don't try to eat you, the pets and livestock.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

We stopped to check out this Cougar we saw in North Dakota a few years ago.

Seriously, I have been reading about Cougar/Mountain Lions starting to show up more in populated areas for a number of years. It would really make one's eyes pop seeing one walking across your drive way. Unlike bears, if you play dead, stop fighting, they do not. If attacked one must fight for your life as long and hard as you can.

Even in the Los Angles Sub-burbs they are showing up along with Coyotes. After picking off a few pets from backyard, they soon learn were they can easily find food.

Lot of people moving into habitat once theirs and perhaps a growing population of the big cats in some places.

When hiking in their areas, keep an eye behind you, they like to attack from the rear. Hopefully, they will be discouraged if seeing eyes looking at them. But do NOT stare into the cougar’s eyes, experts say. I remember seeing a PBS program about Tigers attacking people in one area of India, they were having people wear a face like mask on the back of the head to discourage them from attacking from the rear.

Keep safe out there, it can be a jungle.

http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/anim...ncreasing.html

http://www.natureskills.com/outdoor-...ougar-attacks/

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...-attacks/1971/

Cougar experts offer these tips:

*If you encounter a cougar, try to convince it that you are not prey and that you may be dangerous.

*Don’t run. Don’t crouch down. Don’t stare into the cougar’s eyes. Pick up small children and gather together.

*If the cougar holds its ground, don’t turn your back. Wave your arms and shout to appear larger. Back slowly away and return to your vehicle or shelter.

*If a cougar approaches you, throw sticks or stones.

*If the aggression escalates, beat the animal with a stick, your fists, or other weapon.

*If you see a cougar kill another animal, such as a deer, leave the area immediately.

*If you live in cougar country, don’t leave livestock or pets unattended, or leave pet food outside.

*Report all cougar incidents to officials.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Yeah, my husband will be living in one of those but not as grand this winter. I am sure by spring he will have more then cabin fever and want to see a cougar of any kind. The 5ver's coming home after hunting season in Montana next month.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #4

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
There have been a few cougar sightings on Vancouver Island this year. One or two very near Victoria. One was near a park where I was camping/hiking. I kept thinking "please, not today!" Sadly (although I suppose necessarily) a couple have been killed.
Phil
Old 09-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #5

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Very majestic cats and rare to see them, as others have said in an encounter fight. They look for something easy where there is little risk to them.
Also a Cougar has about ten times the strength of a large dog.
They just won't engage in something that can hurt them.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:30 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
We have many of them. A few things to remember. Cougars are exclusively carnivores, and the top of the food chain. A very few have learned to be wary of guns. Other than that, they view us as food. Odds are, if they are hunting you, you will not see them until they hit.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Victor you are so right! They are the one wild animal in these parts that I fear the most. They are also the *one and only reason* I carry a knife while hiking in our area.

Cougar sightings in BC are pretty common due to the high population of them. They do show up in urban areas as they have found house pets to be easy pickings. The good news is number of complants recieved this year in BC is only 1360 which is down from 1800 last year and 2200 in 2009.

So far this year 43 cougars have been shoot in BC - down from 49 last year and 68 in 2009. Good news also is that so far this year there has only been three reported attachs. One involving a toddler on Vancouver Island that forturnatly survived due to the quick actions of their grandfather. Most of the fatal attachs that have taken place in BC in the past 20 years have involved young children.

The most recent problem area was in Squamish (about 33 miles north of Vancouver) which ended with the shooting of 3 cougars that had taken up hanging out in the back yards in a developed area. 2 where shot in the yard next door to a friend of mine. He said they had showen up a few days in a row and had taken up sleeping on sunny days under a trampoline that the children used. They showed me some great photos they got of them using his iphone and taken from inside his home. Heres the store:3 cougars killed in Squamish - British Columbia - CBC News
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
BC Ministry of Enviornment has some good info on what to do and not to do in regards to being in cougar country. It's worth while reading should anyone go camping in areas cougars roam.

Ministry of Environment - Conservation Officer Service - Wildlife/Human Interaction - Cougars

The main points from the site to remember when face to face with a cougar are:
  • "Stay calm and keep the cougar in view. Pick up children immediately - children frighten easily, the noise and movements they make could provoke an attack. Back away slowly, ensuring that the animal has a clear avenue of escape. Make yourself look as large as possible. Keep the cougar in front of you at all times.
  • Never run or turn your back on a cougar. Sudden movement may provoke an attack.
  • If a cougar shows interest or follows you, respond aggressively. Maintain eye contact with the cougar, show your teeth and make loud noise. Arm yourself with rocks or sticks as weapons. Crouch down as little as possible when bending down to pick up things off of the ground.
  • If a cougar attacks, fight back. Convince the cougar you are a threat and not prey. Use anything you can as a weapon. Focus your attack on the cougar's face and eyes."
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
One other interesting comment made by a friend; make sure your pack or whatever you have on your back has "large eyes", giving the impression you are looking behind you. This is apparently a common technique in tiger country!

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
There have been a few cougar sightings on Vancouver Island this year. One or two very near Victoria. One was near a park where I was camping/hiking. I kept thinking "please, not today!" Sadly (although I suppose necessarily) a couple have been killed.
Phil
That's kinda rough treatment just for dating a younger man, doncha think?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Rawr!