Cougars and Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Cougar...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
That's really unusual behavior for a lion. Almost as if she were playing with the people. If she actually got within "5 feet" of the kids, and had wanted one, she would have gotten it. I wonder if it was a home-raised release. Too bad.
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #3

Registry
There's been some recent studies on animal behavior and man. Tolerance for man can easily be bred in. This has been one of my worries for several years. Some people want to stop hunting altogether. I have felt for a number of years that that's a mistake. Not because of population control, but a tolerance for man would be bred in. I fear that more and more of this kind of thing will happen as preditors loose their fear of man. When that happens, both man and animal loose. If this cougar would have had that fear it would have gone after other prey and probably not have to be killed. Next time somebody might not be so lucky.

Off my soapbox now.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
After I posted this on another RV group, I learned from them that they were expecting to read something totally different. Turns out that 'cougar' is also a term for older ladies looking for males 20-30 years younger than they are....

Guidebook for Cougars
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
After I posted this on another RV group, I learned from them that they were expecting to read something totally different. Turns out that 'cougar' is also a term for older ladies looking for males 20-30 years younger than they are....

Guidebook for Cougars
Pete, I have to admit, when I clicked on the link in your first post I wasn't sure what I was going to see. Demi Moore in a Scamp, or a real cougar...

Name:   rub.gif
Views: 8
Size:  5.0 KB
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Since I have an AARP card I guess I am no longer "Cougar Bait."
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I, too, was uncertain which species would turn out to be the subject of the article. The human one is likely far more commonly encountered in campgrounds (or any other inhabited place), which is why I don't lose sleep worrying about some wild cat attacking me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Since I have an AARP card I guess I am no longer "Cougar Bait."
Don't be so sure. I have my AARP card, too. Any lady in her 70's would qualify...
Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
There have been some cougar attacks in BC in the last few years, often underweight juveniles: hungry, desperate, inexperienced.

If you have observed a lazy house cat chase a ball, you'll be familiar with the "Chase Reflex" that large and small cats share. Potential prey victims have been kids on school playgrounds (running) and fast-moving cyclists on trails, both almost irresistable to hungry cougars.

Part of the problem is our cities, playgrounds, and campgrounds pushing into Cougar territory, part of the problem is cycles of small game availability, unusually dry weather, etc.

On the other hand, a Lynx will calmly sit on a tall bluff above you, and wait for a rabbit instead.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
There have been some cougar attacks in BC in the last few years, often underweight juveniles: hungry, desperate, inexperienced.

If you have observed a lazy house cat chase a ball, you'll be familiar with the "Chase Reflex" that large and small cats share. Potential prey victims have been kids on school playgrounds (running) and fast-moving cyclists on trails, both almost irresistable to hungry cougars.

Part of the problem is our cities, playgrounds, and campgrounds pushing into Cougar territory, part of the problem is cycles of small game availability, unusually dry weather, etc.
Cycles in prey will usually control population. Loosing the fear of humans will cause humans to become prey. If the fear of humans is strong, then no matter how much we move into preditor country there won't be a problem of preditors attacking humans. Therefore in my humble opinion the root cause of problems of preditors doing harm to humans is preditors loss of fear.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:27 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
Boy! You can date me geezer! I was looking for an antique car.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Too many people. That's the bottom line IMO. As our built habitats extend into their natural habitats they are forced to deal with us. Our habitats also reduce the availability of their natural prey.

Lion populations are not large enough that this will create a major problem. They prefer the really remote and isolated areas anyway. There will always be a few exceptions, but that is generally true. Statistically a tasty jogger now and then is more anomaly than on-going threat.

Bears are another story, most particularly blacks. There are many more of them than lions and they are more willing to become scroungers and opportunists. They are also very intelligent so they pretty quickly get a low opinion of peeps.

People move into "bear country" (particularly true in the east) and then call the Game Commission frantic for them to come out immediately and remove a bear in their backyard.

We should be thankful that coyotes don't weigh 200 pounds and stand 40" at the shoulder.
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Too many people. That's the bottom line IMO. As our built habitats extend into their natural habitats they are forced to deal with us. Our habitats also reduce the availability of their natural prey.
People have been moving into preditor habitat for hundreds of years. The population of preditors has decreased as habitat is lost. Encounters with humans has increased for a couple of reasons. More people means a greater chance. Less fear of human, a greater chance.

Quote:
Lion populations are not large enough that this will create a major problem. They prefer the really remote and isolated areas anyway. There will always be a few exceptions, but that is generally true. Statistically a tasty jogger now and then is more anomaly than on-going threat.

Bears are another story, most particularly blacks. There are many more of them than lions and they are more willing to become scroungers and opportunists. They are also very intelligent so they pretty quickly get a[b]low opinion of peeps.
low opinion of peeps, meaning loose their fear of humans.

Quote:
People move into "bear country" (particularly true in the east) and then call the Game Commission frantic for them to come out immediately and remove a bear in their backyard.

We should be thankful that coyotes don't weigh 200 pounds and stand 40" at the shoulder.
Bears come into your backyard because they don't have an over riding fear of humans.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #14

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
...Turns out that 'cougar' is also a term for older ladies looking for males 20-30 years younger than they are....

Guidebook for Cougars
"Here kitty kitty kitty..."