Count the cost(and the intent) - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #113

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Floyd, in my experience such is the way with and prices (or wages, for that matter) set by a governmental body.

Unlike private business, where one person or a small group can make sensible, small adjustments over time, changes like this require accumulated economic and political pressure to build up over time, so change tends to happen in sporadic bursts.

I saw that pattern in a 23 year career as a public school teacher. Flat salaries for a decade, then sudden, rapid increases, then flat...

I'm not addressing whether the new parks pass price or the IL vehicle registration fees are reasonable and fair, merely pointing out that they do not follow normal market patterns.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #114

Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Sure, sure, unlike government, private companies are reasonable when they raise prices....like perhaps Martin Shkreli, CEO of Turing Pharmaceuticals who bought the rights to a drug used in the treatment of HIV and increased the price by 5,000 per cent and who tried a similar move with a previous employer with kidney pills.

But regardless, even at $80 the senior pass is a bargain. We have saved much more that $80 by using it over the last 2 camping seasons.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #115

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Floyd, the next time you're down our way for a camping trip in the Smokies, let me know. There are numerous USFS campgrounds and a couple of NC State Parks in the area that we think far exceed anything the National Park Service has to offer. I can even point you to some with electrical and water hookups if you'd like. Nothing against private campgrounds and I'm really glad a lot of folks prefer them as it leaves more sites for me in the public facilities.

I'm no math whiz but figure I'd likely make up that possibly missing $20 somewhere between Memorial Day and Christmas.

We'll be In Ocala NF the last week of January enjoying the half price camping at Juniper Springs. But, if you're heading down I-95 to Scamp Camp next month and need anything while passing through the Rocky Mount, NC area, give me a shout. That offer stands for all others as well.

Al
Old 01-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #116

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Elite 2
Northern Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Floyd, in my experience such is the way with and prices (or wages, for that matter) set by a governmental body.

Unlike private business, where one person or a small group can make sensible, small adjustments over time, changes like this require accumulated economic and political pressure to build up over time, so change tends to happen in sporadic bursts.

I saw that pattern in a 23 year career as a public school teacher. Flat salaries for a decade, then sudden, rapid increases, then flat...

I'm not addressing whether the new parks pass price or the IL vehicle registration fees are reasonable and fair, merely pointing out that they do not follow normal market patterns.
And with the park system, we cannot boycott or take our business elsewhere to apply pressure. An 800% increase in one step would never work in my business, or in a service that the majority of people needed.

If the parks are national treasures, kept safe for all of us to enjoy and cherish, why pick on one group to help cover expenses? Wouldn't it make more sense to raise the price for everything a few percentage points and still offer retired folks, with lower incomes, a benefit? Whenever a small group gets hit with something like this, instead of everyone, there is much less blowback.

Yes, $80. can still be a good deal. But the calculation must include how many times it will be used and wether the initial cost beats the lower cost of staying somewhere on that one trip. I'm very happy to have my senior pass and I guess I'll have to be extra careful not to lose it.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #117

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Fact of the matter is that private companies are pulling back on perks for retired folk because the 'baby bulge' is moving through the system. There are too many of us, and most are actually better off than retirees of the past.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #118
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
A while back (2009?) the Forest service sought public comment on a proposal that would have decreased the camping discount from 50% to 10%. This was apparently at the request of the concessionaires who run the camp grounds. The response killed the idea at the time but that kind of stuff is seldom forgotten. There is always a good argument to raise rates.

A Vermont resident at age 65 could purchase a lifetime hunting and fishing license for a one time fee of $50. As of Jan. 1 2017 you now have to wait until age 70. Reason given, to keep Vermont in line with New York and Massachusetts.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #119

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Floyd, the next time you're down our way for a camping trip in the Smokies, let me know. There are numerous USFS campgrounds and a couple of NC State Parks in the area that we think far exceed anything the National Park Service has to offer. I can even point you to some with electrical and water hookups if you'd like. Nothing against private campgrounds and I'm really glad a lot of folks prefer them as it leaves more sites for me in the public facilities.

I'm no math whiz but figure I'd likely make up that possibly missing $20 somewhere between Memorial Day and Christmas.

We'll be In Ocala NF the last week of January enjoying the half price camping at Juniper Springs. But, if you're heading down I-95 to Scamp Camp next month and need anything while passing through the Rocky Mount, NC area, give me a shout. That offer stands for all others as well.

Al
Thank you for the kind invitation, we love North Carolina and eastern TN. and would love to explore some of the places that we often drive by without noticing .

Maggie Valley has a couple of very nice Campgrounds and we like River Plantation in Sevierville TN. for when you want to be near the tourist action.