Counting Campers on the Road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #1

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Counting Campers on the Road

This past Sunday my daughter and I drove out to eastern Nebraska from Colorado to attend my niece's graduation (lacrosse tournaments kept the other half of our family at home). About an hour in to our seven hour drive, I realized that I was seeing a LOT of RVs on the road, so I began to keep a tally. Over 435 miles, I counted 413 conventional RV's and trailers, all headed west. I also counted 11 transports, each transporting multiple campers west. In all of that time, I only saw one fiberglass camper, and that was an Escape 19, just outside of Seward Nebraska. So I guess according to my one day tally, that makes our eggs 1 in 413+
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I'm sure the lower price of gas compared to a couple of years ago has allot to do with it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
A few years ago we drove from Washington state, east to Michigan and back into Ontario. One day we saw a family somewhere in Wyoming, frantically waving hello at us while they were passing as they headed west. It was the only fibreglass we saw while on our whole trip east, and another Ontario Boler at that.
Your over 400 to 1 estimate might be close.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:58 PM   #4

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Boler
Indiana
Counting Campers on the Road

Was the Escape 19 being towed by a silver Toyota Highlander, by chance? If so, I bet that would have been Iowa Dave en route to Osoyoos!

Teresa M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #5

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa M View Post
Was the Escape 19 being towed by a silver Toyota Highlander, by chance? If so, I bet that would have been Iowa Dave en route to Osoyoos!

It was!! How fun to"know" who it was!!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Last weekend I made a common trip to lower elevations to camp and Mtn. bike. I was blown away at the number of FGRV's I saw! I'd guess 8 or 9 in total in a pretty remote part of the country. Three Casitas and a Scamp in the small area of NFS we were camped.
Not sayin' we out numbered the Stickies, but it was close
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:53 PM   #7

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
A couple of weeks ago we drove 1300 miles from Mississippi to Indiana and back and didn't see a single fiberglass trailer on the road. We did however see about 20 Oliver's at the factory in Hohenwald on the return trip.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Since we got our Boler last year, "Counting Campers" is a game we now play with our 3 year old son every camping trip while on the road to see who can spot them first with each camper spotted as 1 point...and of course any fiberglass campers spotted get a 10 point bonus! Its really fun when one of us spots and RV dealer along the interstate!
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #9

Name: Joe
Trailer: Someday
Oregon
I drive for a living and can tell you I only see maybe 1 fiberglass trailer a week...:-)
easygojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #10

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I live near Nashville, TN. Going to Fall Creek Falls SP, about 90 miles or so, we counted 4 Casitas and 2 other small FG trailers, while on the road. Not counting my own. This was about 3 weeks ago. There was a Casita and a Scamp already at the park when we got there.

I recently read that Jayco (just Jayco, mind you) has built their 1 millionth TT. I also read on the Casita Forum website that Casita has built about 11,000 units to date (not sure how current or accurate this is).

I also see a lot of Airstreams.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #11

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
We attended the internationally attended Biggest Week of migratory warblers at Magee Marsh and Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge on Lake Erie OH near Toledo and stayed at Maumee Bay State Park. There were 4 Casitas there and one pulled in as we were leaving! Most Casitas seen in one place since we got our beloved Cassie. Owners must be birders too. Wonderful!
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
We frequently travel between homes in San Diego, CA and Kingman, AZ and while doing so enjoy counting or spotting travel trailers enroute, especially the molded fiberglass kind. It always brings a smile to my face when seeing a diminutive white egg because I know the travelers are having fun. For some reason we see a lot of Casitas and Scamps in Kingman. Not so much in San Diego, where toy haulers and MHs seem to prevail.
Beeser is offline   Reply With Quote