Coupler Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Coupler Replacement

Hello! I've seen some trailers for sale in which the ad states "new coupler". I was just wondering do these wear out after awhile or would you only replace them if they've been damaged? And if they do wear out over time, how do you know when it's time to replace? Do they have a mileage rating or something?

Melissa
Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hello! I've seen some trailers for sale in which the ad states "new coupler". I was just wondering do these wear out after awhile or would you only replace them if they've been damaged? And if they do wear out over time, how do you know when it's time to replace? Do they have a mileage rating or something?

Melissa
Hi, Melissa

Couplers do wear out, a fact of which many people are unaware.
They may be the most neglected part of the whole hitch system- many never receive even basic lubrication. There's a lot of friction there, and the moving parts can degrade from that, and rust, and just plain old age.
Some can have new innards put in them, but some just have to be replaced, especially if they've become enlarged enough to interfere with proper ball fit.
Do look over any such replacement very carefully to satisfy yourself that it's the right size/type for the trailer, and properly installed.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Melissa

Couplers do wear out, a fact of which many people are unaware.
They may be the most neglected part of the whole hitch system- many never receive even basic lubrication. There's a lot of friction there, and the moving parts can degrade from that, and rust, and just plain old age.
Some can have new innards put in them, but some just have to be replaced, especially if they've become enlarged enough to interfere with proper ball fit.
Do look over any such replacement very carefully to satisfy yourself that it's the right size/type for the trailer, and properly installed.

Francesca
just to add to this, when we bought our first rig the service tech told us lubricating the hitch may cause it to wear out sooner as the grease would quickly become filled with dirt. But without lubrication the hitch mechanism becomes hard to close. So as a compromise, I have been using a product called Super Lube. It is a Teflon based lubricant that is not suppose to attract and hold dirt. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #4

Registry
Hi, Raz

I'll bet you're talking about this- is this the one that you just upend over the ball and sort of twist around to grease it? This sounds more convenient than the Reece grease I squirt on the top of the ball ...
Old 06-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Has anybody used those "Greasless" Balls yet? I was thinking of trying one since I dont already have a ball. My hitch arrives in a couple of days.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #6

Registry
I'm interested to hear about folks' experience with those, too, Melissa!
How about asking the moderator to move this thread to "hitches, towing, and axles"?
Maybe it'd catch the eye of some users over there that may not look in on "general chat"

Francesca
Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Has anybody used those "Greasless" Balls yet? I was thinking of trying one since I dont already have a ball. My hitch arrives in a couple of days.
I haven't tried one, but if the price is right, it sounds like it would be ok.
I have never greased my hitchball, and have never seen any wear from it's lack. I do lubricate the coupler on a regular basis and check it for adjustment.
I gratefully acknowledge that "Everything put together, sooner or later falls apart". I have made my living on this premise and so I guess I should gladly tolerate the fact.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #8

Registry
What do you use for the coupler, Floyd, and how's it applied?
I've thought that the glob of grease I put on the ball accomplishes coupler lubrication, but it's sure messy if you forget to put the cover on the ball between tows...
And I've got permanent grease stains on my "camp pants" to prove it!

Francesca
Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Hi, Raz

I'll bet you're talking about this- is this the one that you just upend over the ball and sort of twist around to grease it? This sounds more convenient than the Reece grease I squirt on the top of the ball ...
Nope, that's not the stuff. Super lube is what John Deere recommends for the 3 point hitch on their tractors instead of grease. Comes in a spray can.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
What do you use for the coupler, Floyd, and how's it applied?
I've thought that the glob of grease I put on the ball accomplishes coupler lubrication, but it's sure messy if you forget to put the cover on the ball between tows...
And I've got permanent grease stains on my "camp pants" to prove it!

Francesca
I simply make sure the coupler is adjusted properly and spray it occasionally with PB blaster penetrating oil to prevent rust.
Bear in mind that I am not against greasing the hitchball, in fact it's not a bad idea. If I did, I would use a light coating of silicone grease, like brake lube. It works on caliper slides,so it should be great for hitches.
I'm hooking up today, so I might just use some and report back on whether it causes a mess.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler
Registry
It's a good idea to hitch your trailer to the TV and then use the tonque jack or if its light enough lift up and ensure the ball is locked in. I had a neighbour at my old house who asked me to go with him to pick up a riding lawn mower with his flat bed trailer. This was formerly his tent trailer converted to a flat bed. When the mower was driven up the ramps the hitch came off the ball and crashed into his trunk. After checking I found even when locked on you could still lift the tonque off the ball with a good yank. When he saw that he said "I have been towing that trailer for 30 years and it never done that before." I just looked at him and said there's your problem.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote