Cracked Egg - Hope this wasnt anyone we know - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Cracked Egg - Hope this wasnt anyone we know

Camper crash snarls traffic -Looks like a Scamp front bath - seems to have survived it pretty well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Everyones worst nightmare. Let's hope the only damage was some rattled nerves and a cracked shell. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Sad for the party with the camper... What do you think was the reason why (quote)... the diver lost control during a lane change and hit the divider median? Traveling to fast...maybe?
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Anything can happen at any time out on the highways. I didn't put it in my trip report, but I was involved in an accident on the way home. Some moron came off a cloverleaf entrance and was swinging his car right into my lane, right in front of me. I had no time to do anything except swerve to the left (or I'd have hit him) just enough to miss him (or her). Unfortunately, my trailer smacked a pickup in the left lane. The pickup and I stopped, but the moron went around us and sped off. I tried to see the license number but it was moving away too fast as I was pulling over. The state trooper didn't cite me. I would guess that the pickup sustained perhaps $3000 worth of body damage, with dents behind the door and in the side of the bed. My trailer should be fixable for about $150. It took off the city water fill connection and one side marker light, cracked one plastic fridge vent cover, and put black tire marks here and there (which I won't worry much about, they'll probably scrub off for the most part). That gelcoat siding doesn't dent too easily.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
Sad for the party with the camper... What do you think was the reason why (quote)... the diver lost control during a lane change and hit the divider median? Traveling to fast...maybe?
Give you three guesses and a hint. It starts with S and ends in D.

If you're in the passing lane on I-90 in MT you're going too fast.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Or a hitch broke. Or a tire blew and locked up in the wheel well. Or a spring broke. Or the tongue weight was wrong. Way too many reasons to make assumptions. Or some a-hole cut them off and they swerved into the guardrail.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Or a hitch broke. Or a tire blew and locked up in the wheel well. Or a spring broke. Or the tongue weight was wrong. Way too many reasons to make assumptions. Or some a-hole cut them off and they swerved into the guardrail.
Have you ever been to Montana?
The highway speeds are very fast. If he was in the passing lane, as reported in the article. Well his speed had to above the maximum trailer tire rated speed. Tire blown? Usually speed with under inflated. Tongue weight wrong, combined with too much speed, could be.
However a good guess in Montana was would going too fast.

Of course people who like to risk everything by towing too fast will make all kinds of other excuses.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #8

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

Have you ever been to Montana?
The highway speeds are very fast. If he was in the passing lane, as reported in the article. Well his speed had to above the maximum trailer tire rated speed. Tire blown? Usually speed with under inflated. Tongue weight wrong, combined with too much speed, could be.
However a good guess in Montana was would going too fast.

Of course people who like to risk everything by towing too fast will make all kinds of other excuses.
I lived 60 miles from the border, I've been there once or twice, including pulling the trailer with a car on it, and a skidsteer on the flatbed. How do you know what his tires were rated for? Trailer tires are LOAD RATED @ 65 mph. You'll have to contact the company to see what speeds they're ok at. I've posted an email from maxxis on here several times that ok's them up to 88 mph IIRC, with proper pressure/load.

Besides, nothing says you HAVE to speed in the right lane, nobody on here knows what happened. My sister went off the road, rolled 1.5 times. One more 1/4 roll, and she would have gone off a 60' bank into a creek.

Why? A bunny ran out in front of her.

God only knows what happened to this person.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
God only knows what happened to this person.
Well, the driver probably does, too... but I get, and agree with, the point: there is far from enough information in the posted item to evaluate the event.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Well, the driver probably does, too... but I get, and agree with, the point: there is far from enough information in the posted item to evaluate the event.
I agree completely, plus one thing we all must keep in mind, even good drivers make bad mistakes.
Safe travel everyone!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #11

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Not everyone using the left lane in Montana is exceeding the speed limit let alone going the speed limit. Trust me, I lived there. The locals are not always in a hurry to get to where they are going and they pull things down I-90 that can't go the speed limit let alone the minimum. Tractors pulling farm equipment and Montana tow trucks, that is one truck pulling another. Not to mention pulling into the left lane to be nice to the person merging onto the interstate. And , as said, we don't know the circumstances unless a member here was involved in the accident is still cleaning their undies and hasn't had time to give the details.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote