craig's list prices like 2508? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
craig's list prices like 2508?

Just wondering. When I see a 2005 Scamp on Craig's list for say 2508 bucks, can't imagine anyone would waste a phone call. But maybe it's just me being a skeptic. but I always see a red flag when I see those oddball numbers. Does anyone else see it like that?
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Anything that seems too cheap is likely a scam. Watch for phone number. If listed maybe not. Scamers usually aren't that up front. They will likely want to ship it to you. Definite scam.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:00 AM   #3

Name: Jeff
Colorado
PRICING… PRICING… PRICING…
I'm in the market for a 17' BigFoot travel trailer and I can't believe what people
are asking for a used BigFoot. This is what I've found out and what I thank.
There is a 2007 17' BigFoot for sale on Fiberglass RV.com. It stared out at $21,500, mind you this is a 8 yr. old RV (the 2015 are out now). Now the price is down to $19.500. In my book and the NADA's book It's way to high!

Well, I found the NADA Book For Average Retail is $9,090.00 for a 2007 BigFoot 25B175CB. I know that market value plays a part in the asking price and that NADA is a guideline. Also Bigfoot is one of the best travel trailer out their, but there is no way that a 8 year old BigFoot is worth over 100% markup, over NADA Average Retail price.

I welcome your thoughts,

Here is where you can find this info.
2007 Bigfoot Ind M-17.5-Center Bath Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

Note:
Average Retail Value — An average retail vehicle should be clean and without glaring defects. Tires and glass should be in good condition. The paint should match and have a good finish. The interior should have wear in relation to the age of the vehicle. Carpet and seat upholstery should be clean, and all power options should work.
aspen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:29 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jeff the NADA does not work for moulded trailers, we are a small nitch market and the used prices are higher.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Jeff the NADA does not work for moulded trailers, we are a small nitch market and the used prices are higher.
Yes, but double for the same thing? Maybe double the value of a similiar sticky.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #6

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
When he says that Blue Book doesn't work for fiberglass campers, he means it is of zero value. Zip. Nada. No relevance whatsoever. When you want to figure out the value of an egg, look up the value in the Blue Book, and then totally ignore whatever you see there. Then, come to this website, and look through the classified ads, and see what a willing buyer has actually paid for something similar.

I think that, realistically, an egg probably depreciates about 10% per year for 2 years, and then the value remains constant, based on condition.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #7

Name: Jeff
Colorado
Guys, Thanks for all your input.
As soon as I buy a BigFoot I will post photos here.
aspen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #8

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post

Dave is right. I looked for a Bigfoot for fifteen years. Notices were always much higher than NADA particularly for the solid fiberglass versions. I found them selling for 50% more typically, and dealers selling them for 100% more.

What are they worth? If they are in good condition. Prices will be less than new but still high.

The Bigfoot market is strong for many reasons. Durability, near leak proof design, high insulation value, 4 season capability, overall great construction.

I got lucky with my truck camper. It had a rubber roof which takes away value, was a 3000 series which requires a 1 ton pickup that fewer people want, and the seller was gifted it and just wanted cash in the winter for a down payment on a home. He was asking more and could gotten 30-50% more in the spring. I paid book value.

If you want a Bigfoot you should expect to pay more than Nada values.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
To the OP's point, yes the price puts up a red flag to me. Not only is it unusually low, but the ad poster chooses a very odd number... like $2508 or $1502. This makes me think that the poster is trying to keep track of his many ads by using odd amounts (when someone replies, and the scammer has posted the same item in a dozen cities, how can he know which ad produced the most replies?).

As for NADA, I don't think they have enough data about a particular trailer brand like Scamp or Casita or Bigfoot, because they aren't as plentiful, so they simply estimate a value based on the age of a "similar" trailer (which to them means similar size, not similar construction method).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
This makes me think that the poster is trying to keep track of his many ads by using odd amounts (when someone replies, and the scammer has posted the same item in a dozen cities, how can he know which ad produced the most replies?).
That is an interesting point I had not thought of. Damn scammers sure put a lot of thought and effort into stuff.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #11

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
The same person listed a casita on Atlanta Craigslist today. Selling 4526. 00.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
pageleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #12

Name: unsubscribed
Trailer: Shopping
Oregon
as soon as I see something like that, I flag it! The scammers do the same thing with cars and cycles and boats and whatever else they feel they can get away with. When you see something like that, flag it. BTW, I also saw that ad here in PA. Yes, I flagged it!
LindaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 PM   #13

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
bigfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen99 View Post
PRICING… PRICING… PRICING…
I'm in the market for a 17' BigFoot travel trailer and I can't believe what people
are asking for a used BigFoot. This is what I've found out and what I thank.
There is a 2007 17' BigFoot for sale on Fiberglass RV.com. It stared out at $21,500, mind you this is a 8 yr. old RV (the 2015 are out now). Now the price is down to $19.500. In my book and the NADA's book It's way to high!

Well, I found the NADA Book For Average Retail is $9,090.00 for a 2007 BigFoot 25B175CB. I know that market value plays a part in the asking price and that NADA is a guideline. Also Bigfoot is one of the best travel trailer out their, but there is no way that a 8 year old BigFoot is worth over 100% markup, over NADA Average Retail price.

I welcome your thoughts,

Here is where you can find this info.
2007 Bigfoot Ind M-17.5-Center Bath Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

Note:
Average Retail Value — An average retail vehicle should be clean and without glaring defects. Tires and glass should be in good condition. The paint should match and have a good finish. The interior should have wear in relation to the age of the vehicle. Carpet and seat upholstery should be clean, and all power options should work.
Molded Fiberglass Trailers it is condition and demand. Production on these trailers is low. Bigfoot probably delivered 3 a week since the trailers are hand made. Other trailers we call stick built their factories punch out 100's a month. I have owned 7 Bigfoot trailers. Four years ago I bought a 2001 Bigfoot 21RB for $12,500 and today you can't even come close to that price. So throw away your NADA book because no one will sell you their trailer for the book price. Demand is high and supply is low.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
NADA takes information crunches it and derives at an average value. When data is not reality and not very many data points you can get wild swings. One area that is often suspect is sales price in what you pay for a trailer is not always what is properly reported during the re-registration process since you pay sales tax and a seller may worry about a capital gains issue. Reporting bad data and crunching bad data gives you bad results. I think this is why its hard to insure your trailer for more that what you can prove that you paid for it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #15

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Basic Rules about Craigs List & NADA prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillywilly View Post
Just wondering. When I see a 2005 Scamp on Craig's list for say 2508 bucks, can't imagine anyone would waste a phone call. But maybe it's just me being a skeptic. but I always see a red flag when I see those oddball numbers. Does anyone else see it like that?
Basic Rules about Craigs List & NADA prices

On Craig's list, "If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is". Craig's list is infested with scammers and their ads are basically blatant, and easy to spot. The buyers that get sucked in are usually those that see that something is way underpriced and think that they will be ripping off the seller without their knowledge.

In NADA: Those prices are also set to the dealers advantage. Most RV dealers do not like to take in trades and show the low prices in NADA books to justify low trade in values. Another reason is that a lot of sales are private sales and sale prices are often under reported to reduce taxes when registering. We sold a SCAMP a few years back for close to $10,000 and the buyer reported the sale as $3500, taking a risk, but saving $600 in sales taxes.

And, if you think that FGRV prices are skewed, look up Toyota mini-motorhomes. NADA lists average retail price for a molded fiberglass, 1992, 21' Sunrader mini-motorhome as $4490. On eBay you would be lucky to get one for under $13,000 and a few have sold recently for over $18,000

Basically, FGRV's are a supply & demand item whose prices can vary as much as 50% for the same trailer based on different locations and the time of the year.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote