Crazy Summer Trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium
This summer we decided to see the East Coast. (From So. California) My son, Gus and I planned to drive and my wife, Donna was flying out to meet us in Buffalo, NY. My job is more flexible than hers. And I keep telling her that I am practicing for my retirement.

We would see Niagara Falls and drive to Boston, NY city, Philly and Washington DC. Since we were going to be in urban areas and not really camping, we didn't take our beloved Trillium 4500. Over the last 4 seasons we have lived in it for more then 4 months. We missed it and had some second thoughts about leaving it at home.

The trip has been great so far except for a few snafus. The Explorer lunched the transmission in Erie Penn. (Thank goodness I bought what I thought would be a useless "extended warranty" when I bought the truck. That delayed our trip a bit but not too bad...

The worst thing that happened was that Donna got sick while we were in NY city and the Doctor in Queens wanted to take her gall bladder out. We flew her home (at great expense) and the problem got better after a short stay in the hospital. Anyway, she will not need surgery for at least month or two and she is already back to work. She really needs more vacation.

But I digress. A few days after Donna arrived and we were waiting for the truck to be repaired, we found a great little 1987 13ft Scamp. We saw it while wandering the back roads on the 4th of July. We went back after the holiday and talked to the dealer who was selling it. He had been the original dealer. (They had bought 10 trailers direct from Scamp) And it had only the one owner. We quickly came to an agreement and bought it.

The owners had taken it to Canada and parked it all these years. Pretty sure it had the original tires. It's in pretty good shape. Should clean up fine.

We bought it to resell. I hope that I do not fall in love.

TOMORROW WE PICK IT UP!! We are excited and are looking forward to it.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp1.jpg   scamp2.jpg  

scamp3.jpg   scamp4.jpg  

Jeff Johannsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hi Jeff and Donna

Beautiful find. Maybe you should take one trip in it before you decide to sell. You could join us at Lake Casitas October 27-30...for our rally.

By the way, I lived in the Buffalo area years ago... Williamsville and Buffalo... Did you see anything interesting while there? My sister still lives in the area.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
What a nice find! I like that version. And the red helps too!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Hi Jeff and Donna

Beautiful find. Maybe you should take one trip in it before you decide to sell. You could join us at Lake Casitas October 27-30...for our rally.

By the way, I lived in the Buffalo area years ago... Williamsville and Buffalo... Did you see anything interesting while there? My sister still lives in the area.
Well, getting it back to California should be considered at least "one trip". Couldn't make Lake Casitas last year (made it a couple of years ago). We really love our Trillium!

I plan to force my wife, to force me, to sell this little gem. The boy has expessed an interest and that would be great IF he was married and a little older. At 16, and just about to get his license...... I DON'T THINK SO!!!! I remember, so long ago, when I was his age.

Well, we are off to pick the trailer up. Giddy, we are.

Sorry to see that Burro smashed, WOW! It fought off those trees with courage and dignity!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
crazy trip is right.. but glad your wife will be fine! I see the scamp has the front kitchen area... cool!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
We bought it to resell. I hope that I do not fall in love.

TOMORROW WE PICK IT UP!! We are excited and are looking forward to it.

Hmm, sounds like you're falling in love already!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Wow. Nice find!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:57 PM   #8

Here it is! We picked it up the other day. Pulls great. It is in great shape and the woodwork, seats and walls all look to be sweet. It was pretty musty but we are working on that. (air and lysol so far) I've heard about vineger but could use some suggestions. It is 90% better then a couple of days ago, but it will take a bit more. (I hate musty!)

Very few sightings this year, will post one with pic from a couple days ago.

RV MUSEUM in Elkhart, Indiana needs information on Fiberglass eggs! Check for post little later.

Go West Young Man!
Attached Thumbnails
Pickupday.jpg  
Old 07-24-2006, 11:10 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Are you sure it's an '86? The rounded windows and what looks like a folding screen door suggest that it is newer than that. Also, it seems to be a Deluxe model, judging by what looks like real wood, but they usually have gold, not red, lettering on the side. Good find!!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Are you sure it's an '86? The rounded windows and what looks like a folding screen door suggest that it is newer than that. Also, it seems to be a Deluxe model, judging by what looks like real wood, but they usually have gold, not red, lettering on the side. Good find!!
Pete, my 88 Deluxe (Maple Interior) has the radius windows, manufacturer screen door and red logos and pin stripping. I'm thinking the gold didn't come into play until perhaps sometime in the 1990s.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Yep. Went out and checked the registration. It's an '86 with the wood interior. (was that called a deluxe?)

It's airing out pretty well... but I still haven't got any comments about musty scamps and the best remedy.

Other than the minor odor, it is a doll! The wood is in great shape along with everything else. I have not tested the fridge or heater.

Haven't been sleeping in it cause I don't want to share a bed with my 16 year old when it's 80 degrees. (and he ain't going for that either)

In Red Wing Minnesota tonight.
From the road...
Old 07-27-2006, 12:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
2 years will pass by pretty quick and your son will be 18 ... He already asked about the trailer, and what fun it would be to go camping with him .. both in your own trailers. Are you really sure you want to sell that gem?
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:35 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
It's airing out pretty well... but I still haven't got any comments about musty scamps and the best remedy.
Try bleach in water, weak solution.

Scrub with soft brush like an old toothbrush if the mold is imbedded in insulation, otherwise just wipe down interior walls with solution using a soft cloth/old towel.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Try bleach in water, weak solution.

Scrub with soft brush like an old toothbrush if the mold is imbedded in insulation, otherwise just wipe down interior walls with solution using a soft cloth/old towel.
Not if the interior has Rat Fur
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:39 PM   #15

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
For a musty smell in our trailer I tried Frebreeze (sp) for autos. Sprayed it on all cushions and into the air. Closed the trailer up for 2 days. When we opened it up 2 days later the smell was gone. It might be worth a try.

Great find.
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #16

Thanks everybody! Just got home. Didn't measure exact, but I figure the tow home was about 3000 miles. It towed great. Now for the clean-up. It is airing out nicely and the fabric and wood seems to be in great shape! Look for it on E-BAY!

This was next to lock #14 along the Illinois and Michigan Canal in Peru, Illinois.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scampview.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	4346
Old 08-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I agree, try the Febreeze. If that doesn't work, try fabric shampoo, baking soda and continue airing.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:42 AM   #18

Trailer: Trillium 4500
You could try a product called MDG (mildew gas). You can find it at marinas where they store boats. You hang the product in the closed up trailer while it is stored. It kills off the mildew and odor.
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote