Crossing Hoover dam - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-02-2009, 05:48 AM   #15
Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
I drove across this summer. Traffic was really bad, Took hours. The new bridge was close to touching in the middle but not yet. Edit: word of caution on the tour, i think it was 20 per person and 7 for parking. Prices are on their website to make sure. I kept driving, no way would I pay that since I toured for free as a kid years ago.

I missed out on the free tour when I was there as a child, but have made it back several times now. I won't miss the tour if I am anywhere nearby (I'm a bit of a gear-head). I believe the tour is the only way to get a full understanding of the size of the project, and the understanding of what the engineers and workers accomplished. Never again has there been a public works project of it's kind that meant so much to the workers, or set such an example for the rest of the country.

DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #16
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
My understanding is that Hoover is a gravity arch dam.
My apologies. You are correct that it is a gravity-arch design, as shown on the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation architectural drawings. However, the drawing shows the that thichness of of the downstream face appears not to be as thick (top to bottom) as a full-gravity design.

The USBR site also describes it as: "A concrete arch-gravity type, in which the water load is carried by both gravity action and horizontal arch action." This would imply that both the gravity features and the arch features are needed to fully resist the full hydraulic force on the back of the dam, and that removing either would cause failure of the other.

On the other hand, one other commentor may be correct that the chosen design may have been selected to give the illusion that it was over-designed, to calm the fears of the people about this new and enormous facility.

In answer to another querry, both Hoover and Grand Coulee were constructed during the 1930's. Hoover began in 1931 and Grand Coulee in 1933.

Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote